• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A question for non-theist UU's.

Nanda

Polyanna
Why join and attend a church if you don't believe in god? I mean absolutely no disrespect, I just don't really understand. I'm guessing I'm going to get answers similar to the question "Why join a religious forum if you're an atheist," which I know we're all sick of hearing, but I don't know, I thought maybe you could give me a little insight. Personally, I'd rather sleep in, but that's just me. ;)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Why join and attend a church if you don't believe in god? I mean absolutely no disrespect, I just don't really understand.
I asked the same question a long time ago and never did get a satisfactory response. Maybe you'll be luckier.

I'm guessing I'm going to get answers similar to the question "Why join a religious forum if you're an atheist," which I know we're all sick of hearing...
Uh... well, yes, I've wondered about that, too. A number of the atheists here on RF are here solely to tell theists how gullible and naive they are. Others, like you, Sunstone, Robtex, and Kungfuzed, don't seem to have that agenda. So what does an atheist with no ax to grind find in a religion forum to make him want to stick around?

Nanda

Polyanna
Why care? You may not understand but who cares, Thank GOODNESS for U/U...hehehe:D

I don't know...Curious nature? I'm not trying to be accusatory or anything, I'm just honestly curious about things I don't understand.

Katzpur said:
Uh... well, yes, I've wondered about that, too. A number of the atheists here on RF are here solely to tell theists how gullible and naive they are. Others, like you, Sunstone, Robtex, and Kungfuzed, don't seem to have that agenda. So what does an atheist with no ax to grind find in a religion forum to make him want to stick around?

You know, my answer to Sheila's question fits nicely here, too. Curious nature, I guess. Wanting to know more about things I don't understand. Plus, how constructive is it to hold a viewpoint if you never try to challenge it?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
*** MOD POST ***

Let's stick to the topic and remember the no proselytizing rule, please.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Curious nature, I guess. Wanting to know more about things I don't understand. Plus, how constructive is it to hold a viewpoint if you never try to challenge it?
A couple of quick questions, if they're not too far off topic... Were you raised in a religious family? Have you always been an atheist?

rojse

RF Addict
I am an aetheist, and I am not here merely to try and convert religious people to aetheism, or some other such silliness.

I think there is more to religion than what I see. Most people are religious, and merely to dismiss their beliefs without questioning mine does them a complete disservice. I don't experience what they do, so I do not think that God exists, from my experiences.

I am here to see how ideas, logic and reasoning work in religion. I want to know how different people can see different meanings from the same books, and even kill eachother over what to me seems like minor differences.

I do not attend any church, not even for Christmas or Easter. I would only attend should there be a non-religious reason for attending, such as a funeral or a wedding. Would be interested to know why people who don't believe in God do attend outside of those reasons.

Nanda

Polyanna
A couple of quick questions, if they're not too far off topic... Were you raised in a religious family? Have you always been an atheist?

I don't mind answering if nobody else minds... :shrug:
No, I was not raised in a religious family. My parents were both raised Catholic, but rejected it as young adults - I'm pretty sure they're both agnostic/soft atheists - their approach to religion is more "no, thank you, we're all set" then "blar! Evil institution!" I wasn't raised an atheist, either, really. My siblings and I were left to make up our own minds. To their credit, my parents were always supportive of our forays into religion - I was a Baptist for a few years as a tween, and my sister is currently following some kind of pagan/nature religion of her own making. The only thing they'd ever stress was that we didn't go into things blindly - that we research first and really think things through. After Christianity didn't work out, I was an agnostic for many years, then an agnostic leaning toward atheism, and now i'm somewhere in the soft, chewy center between soft and strong atheism.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I don't mind answering if nobody else minds... :shrug:
No, I was not raised in a religious family. My parents were both raised Catholic, but rejected it as young adults - I'm pretty sure they're both agnostic/soft atheists - their approach to religion is more "no, thank you, we're all set" then "blar! Evil institution!" I wasn't raised an atheist, either, really. My siblings and I were left to make up our own minds. To their credit, my parents were always supportive of our forays into religion - I was a Baptist for a few years as a tween, and my sister is currently following some kind of pagan/nature religion of her own making. The only thing they'd ever stress was that we didn't go into things blindly - that we research first and really think things through. After Christianity didn't work out, I was an agnostic for many years, then an agnostic leaning toward atheism, and now i'm somewhere in the soft, chewy center between soft and strong atheism.
Thanks!

Nanda

Polyanna
I am an aetheist, and I am not here merely to try and convert religious people to aetheism, or some other such silliness.

I think there is more to religion than what I see. Most people are religious, and merely to dismiss their beliefs without questioning mine does them a complete disservice. I don't experience what they do, so I do not think that God exists, from my experiences.

I am here to see how ideas, logic and reasoning work in religion. I want to know how different people can see different meanings from the same books, and even kill eachother over what to me seems like minor differences.

I do not attend any church, not even for Christmas or Easter. I would only attend should there be a non-religious reason for attending, such as a funeral or a wedding. Would be interested to know why people who don't believe in God do attend outside of those reasons.

That's all well and good, but really, I'm trying to find out the Unitarian atheist stance.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
*** MOD POST ***

Let's stick to the topic and remember the no proselytizing rule, please.
Let me just add to Katzpur's MOD POST that this thread is in DIR and asks for responses from non-theist UUs. Any post introducing an outside viewpoint will be deleted and a warning may be issued.

If this is in anyway unclear, feel free to send me a PM.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Is there no answer to this question?
I hope there is, i'm also quite curious as to why an atheist would join a UU church.

I have my suspicions it may be due to the community aspect, but would love to truly understand.

Nanda

Polyanna
I have my suspicions it may be due to the community aspect, but would love to truly understand.

That's what I figured, but then I thought, if that were the only reason, why not just get a hobby? Which is probably a very ignorant assumption of me, but how am I ever going to learn any better if no one ever answers my question? *hint hint* ;)

Pariah

Let go
I believe Robtex is a Unitarian Universalist Atheist.
Perhaps you could send him a private message?

Nanda

Polyanna
I believe Robtex is a Unitarian Universalist Atheist.
Perhaps you could send him a private message?

I was kind of hoping for a more well-rounded dialogue... I know there are a few UU Atheists on here, and I'm sure their reasons are all uniquely individual. I guess if it comes to that, I'll have to try PMing them all individually.

My next thread will be titled "Why don't UU Atheists want to talk to Nandas?"

robtex

Veteran Member
Why join and attend a church if you don't believe in god?

I don't actually attend any churches anymore but to answer your question on this I was a UU when I was looking for a religion and God and than became an atheist. I may not fall into the bounds of the question but as I don't go to church anymore but would say if I had more time I likely would. UU is by far, the most academic non-agendaed institution that does this. Lots of people make good friends doing this and see no reason to leave when and if they settle on atheism. I didn't build the friendships due to hectic work schedules and lack of time when I went to UU but if I did and had the time I likely would have remained active.

According to religious tolerance.org about 41 $% of uu's are humanists, of which a large percent are likely atheists,
http://www.religioustolerance.org/u-u1.htm

However, in this lifetime we can each make a choice to push for agenda to embrace our neighbor, be apathetic to their existence, or have emotions ranging from destain to mild uncomfortable based on their theistic mindset. UU is a tool for embracing our neighbor regardless of beliefs or lack thereof. The agenda of UU being one of tolerance.

Irregardless, if one believes there is a god or not I think the more common bound exists for agreeing on the 7 principles of UU:

http://www.uua.org/visitors/6798.shtml

For me, UU is about having the freedom and liberty to answer the questions about God, and spiritual (including it doesn't exist) indpendant of social actions or pressure for a desired social course. I see UU as a strong academic and social structure that seeks to embraces the differences of theists and non-theists alike, in a celebration of diversity as opposed to an organization that seeks to shape beliefs of its members.

As a footnote, I am going to go out on a limb and say I think you likely have been reading about secular humanism. If so, If you take your secular humanists readings, but it next to UU readings i bet you will find more similarities than differences.

Nanda

Polyanna
First off, let me say THANK YOU for answering! :D I was pretty sure that no one was going to by this point.

Now, in your case, you joined while searching for God, then became an atheist - I can understand that, having made personal connections, you'd be inclined to stick around. But what about people who are already atheists when they join? What, I wonder, makes them choose to seek out a church community in the first place?

robtex

Veteran Member
First off, let me say THANK YOU for answering! :D
thanks..your welcome. I may be the only atheist uu on here at this point. Most of the UU's on rf believe in a higher power. I think you now have 100 % partipation. :D

Now, in your case, you joined while searching for God, then became an atheist - I can understand that, having made personal connections, you'd be inclined to stick around. But what about people who are already atheists when they join? What, I wonder, makes them choose to seek out a church community in the first place?

Sense of community. Philosophical acceptance and or congruence to the 7 principles of UU. Academic study of religion. Promotion of the idea of everyone should be allowed to study and research religion and the question of God in a neutral place/environment .