• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A question for non-theist UU's.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Do you know if the United Church of Christ and Episcopal churches are okay with atheists participating? Not that I HAVE to tell them I am an atheist, yet at the same time I do not want to feel forced into hiding.

James
Sorry, I don't know one way or the other. :shrug: The impression I got from des however is that she does not hide her atheism in front of her minister.

I tried googling "UCC atheist" but the only thing of note that I got was this blog entry by our most beloved UU blogger, philocrites about some interesting new books on atheism:
http://www.philocrites.com/archives/002250.html

Trey of Diamonds

I am living in Texas, so Unitarian Universalist churches probably won't be common here, though I've seen a couple. But they are far away.

James

Depends on where in Texas you are. Here in Houston we have 8 churches scattered throughout the city. If you use the congregation finder at UUA it will tell you where the nearest one is. I recommend popping in on one to see if it fits your needs. UU isn't for everyone but everyone is welcome and you just might find a spiritual home. If not, the coffee is usually pretty good.

applewuud

Do you know if the United Church of Christ and Episcopal churches are okay with atheists participating? Not that I HAVE to tell them I am an atheist, yet at the same time I do not want to feel forced into hiding.

James

It depends a lot on the personality of the Episcopal priest or UCC minister at a particular church. Most of the priests I know wouldn't have a problem with you exploring, as long as you're open to considering their ideas as well.

For myself, I felt "forced into hiding" whenever I had to say certain parts of the Apostles' Creed in the Episcopal or UCC service. But overall I find the ministers of mainline Christian churches much more accepting of honest theological struggle than their image would suggest. People in the pews are often much more conservative.

BrandonE

King of Parentheses
But overall I find the ministers of mainline Christian churches much more accepting of honest theological struggle than their image would suggest. People in the pews are often much more conservative.

Defninitely agreed. If it hadn't been for a Methodist minister that told me that he didn't believe Buddhists would be condemned to hell, I may not have ended up here at all.

Moonshadow

Astorian
A little late to send a reply I know but I was browsing the boards and wanted to put in my 2 cents.

Im a very spiritual UU. Ive been a member of my church for 8 years now, I love to the people, the different cultural exposure, the ceremonies, celebrations and Rituals that the different groups bring, The discussions and debates that different people bring to the table whether they be Atheists, Christians, Pantheists or Buddhists.

I love Ritual and have made it a part of my daily life, I am into meditation, spirit dancing, Visualizations, affirmations, I love to read different books from different perspectives and my church has something called a 30 Day Program where we switch places with someone from the church and live their lives for 30 days, I have lived with a Muslim Family, a Christian family, a Jewish Family and I have learned so much from these experiences-mainly how to be more loving and compassionate when it comes to other's ideas and views.

UU has also shown me how to be open to other cultural types of foods and music. Now, am I an Atheist? Well, I dont believe in God but Im VERY spiritual, I dont believe in most supernatural ideas or superstitions but I am open to different ideas thanks to being a member of the church, for example I dont believe in Ghosts but we have a Ghost Hunters Group and I attend their meetings as the group Skeptic and sometimes go on outings to supposedly haunted locations, You never know right?

Some people would say I am a Naturalistic Pagan, Its a term I used to use because I do think Nature is damn cool, lol, I think it deserves respect but I admit that its only the parts of nature that make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside and so therefore I am not a true Pagan from my own interpretation of the word or religion that I was raised with so I dont know to be honest.

In my church there are a number of Atheists and assorted Non Theists who would make claims that they are spiritual or even religious, I usually tell people that I am a HIGHLY Eclectic and DEEPLY spiritual UU and leave it at that, only revealing the rest of who I am if asked to go into further details.