• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Question for Trump Supporters

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I wonder, if Joe Biden was participating in a Town Hall, where questions are being asked of him as candidate for President, what would you have posted if he abruptly stopped taking questions and instead turned it into a half-hour music fest, with him pretending to dance (to YMCA, no less!)?

C'mon, be honest. What would you have commented on his fitness for POTUS?

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Why are we assuming that Trump supporters think Trump is fit for POTUS?

Sometimes elections appear to be simply about the lesser of two evils. People already know what they get with Trump. What can we expect with Harris? Gas prices spiked as soon as the last democrat took office.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Why are we assuming that Trump supporters think Trump is fit for POTUS? T

Sometimes elections appear to be simply about the lesser of two evils. People already know what they get with Trump. What can we expect with Harris? Gas prices spiked as soon as the last democrat took office.
My question, however, was would Trump supporters have remained silent and let Biden get away with something they are silent on when Trump does it.

However, consider this:

Just before the Covid-19 pandemic, U.S. oil production hit an all-time high of about 13 million barrels per day (BPD). As the pandemic unfolded, demand for oil collapsed, and production followed. By May 2020, oil production had dropped by more than 3 million BPD to 9.7 million BPD.​
When the pandemic crushed oil demand in 2020, some oil companies went out of business. Some small stripper wells — which account for a respectable amount of U.S. oil production — were permanently capped because of the bleak outlook. Some workers left the oil industry. As people went back to work, demand began to bounce back, but production lagged due to the aforementioned issues.​
Following the production collapse of 2020, the U.S. has been playing catch up as demand recovered. Rising oil prices — in response to insufficient supplies — are the predominant reason for the surge in gasoline prices. (Source: Forbes)

And you blame that on all on Biden's "policies?"

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Gas prices spiked as soon as the last democrat took office.

Excerpts from Forbes ...

Gasoline prices rose during each of President Trump’s first two years in office, reversing the two-year trend that ended Obama’s second term. By Trump’s third year in office, prices fell slightly, but then prices were down sharply in Trump’s fourth year as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic and its impact on oil prices. Gasoline prices in 2020 were at their 2nd lowest level since 2004.​
When President Biden came into office, gasoline prices had been rising for several months as the world began to recover from Covid-19. But, demand outstripped supply, and oil prices continued to soar. Then, in early 2022 Russia invaded Ukraine, and that helped propel the average annual gasoline price that year to $4.06/gallon, the highest annual average on record. [source]​

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
But while we're on the topic, please list the policies Biden adopted to mitigate the spike.

From the same Forbes article ...

Presidents get a lot of credit and blame over rising and falling gasoline prices. In reality, there’s not a lot a president can do to impact gasoline prices in the short term. Longer term, a president can pass policies that impact supply and demand in such a way that they do impact gasoline prices. But in the short term, a president has relatively few handles for influencing gasoline prices.​

So far you appear to be 0 for 2 ...

Argentbear

Well that is the end result of the gas companies installing a little dial in the oval office so the president can control the nations gas prices personally

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
From the same Forbes article ...

Presidents get a lot of credit and blame over rising and falling gasoline prices. In reality, there’s not a lot a president can do to impact gasoline prices in the short term. Longer term, a president can pass policies that impact supply and demand in such a way that they do impact gasoline prices. But in the short term, a president has relatively few handles for influencing gasoline prices.
Same question to you. What policies did Biden adopt to mitigate high gas prices long-term.

So far you appear to be 0 for 2 ...
Your arbitrary scorekeeping is adorable.

Argentbear

Well that is the end result of the gas companies installing a little dial in the oval office so the president can control the nations gas prices personally

Pogo

My question, however, was would Trump supporters have remained silent and let Biden get away with something they are silent on when Trump does it.

However, consider this:

Just before the Covid-19 pandemic, U.S. oil production hit an all-time high of about 13 million barrels per day (BPD). As the pandemic unfolded, demand for oil collapsed, and production followed. By May 2020, oil production had dropped by more than 3 million BPD to 9.7 million BPD.​
When the pandemic crushed oil demand in 2020, some oil companies went out of business. Some small stripper wells — which account for a respectable amount of U.S. oil production — were permanently capped because of the bleak outlook. Some workers left the oil industry. As people went back to work, demand began to bounce back, but production lagged due to the aforementioned issues.​
Following the production collapse of 2020, the U.S. has been playing catch up as demand recovered. Rising oil prices — in response to insufficient supplies — are the predominant reason for the surge in gasoline prices. (Source: Forbes)

And you blame that on all on Biden's "policies?"
Facts schmacts,

Oil futures were 30 $ Jan 2016, and 60$ jan2020. They are all the way up to $70 now.

Pogo

Same question to you. What policies did Biden adopt to mitigate high gas prices long-term.

Inflation Reduction act to kickstart renewable energy production. Reducing overall demand is the only thing that will actually bring prices down, increased production will only cause Saudi etc to lower their production to keep the price where they want it and Exxon shareholders are not going to vote for price reductions either. Gasoline prices are determined by the market, not the president.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

I think you hit the nail on the head.

Way back when I made this statement which, IMO, has some validity (paraphrased)…”Hey guys, 2020 is gone… you need to stop the anti-Trumpism campaign. The more you hammer him, the more people are going to think that maybe Trump was onto something and you will cause people to want to vote for him."

IMV, I’m seeing it played out.

But, regardless of whether I was right or wrong, you have expressed my sentiments on the lesser of the two evils. That being said, then there will be a BIG discussion on why Trump is the lesser of the two evils vs Harris is the lesser of the two evils. Have no real desire to attack one or defend the other. November is just around the corner.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Did I say that? I'll thank you to not put words in my mouth.
You said,
What can we expect with Harris? Gas prices spiked as soon as the last democrat took office.
That appears to me to be a pretty clear assertion that the responsibility for the increase in gas prices lies with the President, and that therefore we must expect another Democratic President to continue to keep those prices high. If that is not what you meant, your words make no sense.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Fun? Wow!

All this way, and not one person has tried to answer the question in the OP. Here, let me provide some words so you can just click "quote."

As a decent, kind and fair Republican supporter, it would never even occur to me to say, "wow, Biden must be going really off his rocker doing that nonsense for 39 minutes."

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic

America has not been able to control world oil prices for many years. It is out of their hands. This has become even more so since bricks no longer exclusively trades oil in dollars..
However Gas prices in the USA are always amongst the lowest in the world.
But a president has no control over that price.

Clizby Wampuscat

I wonder, if Joe Biden was participating in a Town Hall, where questions are being asked of him as candidate for President, what would you have posted if he abruptly stopped taking questions and instead turned it into a half-hour music fest, with him pretending to dance (to YMCA, no less!)?

Not if I knew the reason why. Do you?

Jimmy

King Phenomenon

He’s not Biden

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I think we have to ask the question, though. Does anybody really want the President setting gas prices? Why stop there -- why not the cost of diapers, beer, houses, rents, and everything else? You could set up a "central planning committee" to lay out 5-year plans like the used to do in USSR and China.

There is, as I understand, some reliance on something called a "free market" in the U.S., and it is generally how prices tend to be regulated.