• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A question...

Prima

And hopefully, you all have the answer!

My little brothers (age 9, Catholic) were told by a religious education teacher that at the time of Jesus, the Jews believed that the soul went to heaven after three days, and that what was so amazing when Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead is that it was after three days.

Is that belief true or not? Do you still hold that belief? Is this way off the mark?

:confused:

linwood

My little brothers (age 9, Catholic) were told by a religious education teacher that at the time of Jesus, the Jews believed that the soul went to heaven after three days, and that what was so amazing when Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead is that it was after three days.

Is that belief true or not? Do you still hold that belief? Is this way off the mark?

That would hold interesting implications for the Christian resurrection story too.

I`m curious now.

standing_on_one_foot

I imagine different Jews held different beliefs (Judaism tends to be very vague about the afterlife). I couldn't find anything good about specifics of the time, so I'll second the Jewscout, help!

Though to answer the second question, no, I don't hold that belief. It's not one I've come across before.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
**flies in w/ costume and big star of david on my chest**
DUN DUH DUN!!!!!

Never fear citizens, Jewscout is here!!

LOL

hmmm let me think.......
i think this falls into the whole afterlife questions of which there are a million and one answers to...
i haven't heard of the 3 day thing myself per say but that doesn't mean it wasn't a belief of certain sectarians at the time...just something i can't recall hearing about...

as far as the soul in the after life goes...there are differing opinions...the 2 main ones i've heard are the concept of going into the World to Come i.e. Heaven .....or that the soul will remain in a quasi-limbo sort of state until the coming of the Moshiach when the dead of the righteous will be given back their souls and will walk upon the earth again...

**stands heroically**

Remeber kids...stay in school!

Jewscout awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
FYI ...
Accompanied by divine messengers and conscious of its origins, the soul enters the womb at the time of conception (Babylonian Talmud Berakhot 60b). When people sleep, the soul ascends to heaven, returning renewed in the morning ( Genesis Rabbah 14:9). Although the soul protests its birth into the world, it also protests the body's death. It lingers near the body for three days, hoping that it will return to life (Tanhuma, Miqetz 4; Pequdei 3). After three days, the soul returns to God to await the time of resurrection (Babylonian Talmud Sanhedrin 90b-91a). During the first twelve months after death, the soul remains in contact with the disintegrating body (Babylonian Talmud Shabbat 152b-153a). After this, the souls of the righteous go to paradise ( gan eden, the Garden of Eden) and the souls of the wicked, to purgatory ( gehinnom ). Yet, even there, the soul has a chance to be purified, with the exception of those guilty of heinous crime.​
see Jews for Judaism.com

arikroop

im almost positive that i remember reading in the tanatch, somthing about how the more kadish (i cant write hebrew in english sry), kinda like rightous and devout, you live your life the quicker your soul arrives to heaven. but if u do not live a life by the mitzvot then it will take your soul longer to travel to heaven, and if i recall correctly it said that it never takes more than 6 years (i think yet again... not at my private jewish school any more) for the soul to reach heaven.

fromthe heart

Deut. 32.8 said:
FYI ...
Accompanied by divine messengers and conscious of its origins, the soul enters the womb at the time of conception (Babylonian Talmud Berakhot 60b). When people sleep, the soul ascends to heaven, returning renewed in the morning ( Genesis Rabbah 14:9). Although the soul protests its birth into the world, it also protests the body's death. It lingers near the body for three days, hoping that it will return to life (Tanhuma, Miqetz 4; Pequdei 3). After three days, the soul returns to God to await the time of resurrection (Babylonian Talmud Sanhedrin 90b-91a). During the first twelve months after death, the soul remains in contact with the disintegrating body (Babylonian Talmud Shabbat 152b-153a). After this, the souls of the righteous go to paradise ( gan eden, the Garden of Eden) and the souls of the wicked, to purgatory ( gehinnom ). Yet, even there, the soul has a chance to be purified, with the exception of those guilty of heinous crime.​
see Jews for Judaism.com
So where does the Bible say how long? when,how long,where to,etc...? Is there any teachings from Jesus on any of this? I trust your input so don't think me being rude.

Respect you a lot...:)

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Deut. 32.8 said:
FYI ...
see Jews for Judaism.com
Thanks Deut!

standing_on_one_foot

fromthe heart said:
So where does the Bible say how long? when,how long,where to,etc...? Is there any teachings from Jesus on any of this? I trust your input so don't think me being rude.

Respect you a lot...:)
The Torah doesn't really talk about the afterlife. The teachings of Jesus would have more to do with Christian belief than Jewish belief, although I suppose it might reflect the beliefs of the time...

Neat info there, Duet.