• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A western Islam?

Starsoul

Truth
Islam remains Islam, you don't pick and choose in it, it isnt a religion confined to the scholars, neither it is just a sunday affair. It is a lifestyle, for everyday.

Last edited:

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Islam remains Islam, you don't pick and choose in it, it isn't like judaism and chirstianity, it isnt a religion confined to the scholars, neither it is just a sunday affair. It is a lifestyle, for everyday.

Indeed. But that doesn't preclude a Western Islam as, for example, proposed by Dr. Ramadan. Does it?

Cordoba

Dr. Tariq Ramadan's views are very objective and based on mainstream Islamic foundation

His book (Western Muslims and the Future of Islam) is an excellent book, also his earlier book on European Muslims

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Dr. Tariq Ramadan's views are very objective and based on mainstream Islamic foundation

His book (Western Muslims and the Future of Islam) is an excellent book, also his earlier book on European Muslims

Is he a popular figure in Egypt Cordoba?

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Islam remains Islam, you don't pick and choose in it, it isn't like judaism and chirstianity, it isnt a religion confined to the scholars, neither it is just a sunday affair. It is a lifestyle, for everyday.
Well Christianity is not a religion confined to the scholars. And there are still many devout Christians, such as myself who takes the religion as a lifestyle instead of as just a sunday affair.

You do not have to be rude.

Woodrow LI

IB Ambassador
Hi all :)

I continue to stumble towards submission.
I understand that Islam is a universal religion. However, there does seem to be a share of culture embedded in it. I suppose that's only natural? As more Europeans and Americans revert to Islam I imagine something distinctive might emerge.
Do you agree?
If not, why?
If so, what shape do you think Islam will take in west? What will a western Islam look like?

Peace,

Greetings from an American revert to Islam

I live in an area with probably the smallest Muslim population on Earth. My wife and myself are the only 2 Muslims within 200 miles. We do a lot online and our Muslim"Community" is mostly online. There have been no real hardships. I would be pleased to answer any questions about life as a Revert in America.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

With all due respect, I cannot believe you just wrote this to someone inquiring about Islam. Why would you type such a thing?

ConfusedKuri

There is a lot of different views/interpretations of Islam, I could never tell someone that MY understanding of it, is the right one. We all choose different paths in drawing closer to Allah.

Woodrow LI

IB Ambassador
There is a lot of different views/interpretations of Islam, I could never tell someone that MY understanding of it, is the right one. We all choose different paths in drawing closer to Allah.

That is true it is all about making choices based upon knowledge and verifying the truth of all we believe. Islam is not a religion of blind following. We do not have the option of saying we were taught wrong. We are to live by our choices and know the consequences of our choices. I follow the Hanafi Madhab of the Sunni. Other may follow other paths but we are all of one Ummah and follow the same 5 pillars of Islam which are:

• Faith or belief in the Oneness of God and the finality of the prophethood of Muhammad;
  • Establishment of the daily prayers;
  • Concern for and almsgiving to the needy;
  • Self-purification through fasting;
  • The pilgrimage to Makkah for those who are able.

Starsoul

Truth
Well Christianity is not a religion confined to the scholars. And there are still many devout Christians, such as myself who takes the religion as a lifestyle instead of as just a sunday affair.

You do not have to be rude.

Hi Jacob, sorry I did not mean it the way you read into it, neither did I mean it specifically about christianity or judaism, there are muslims who go along the same lifestyle as my statement seemed to imply, so basically what I meant is, that practice is what would make a person a good observer of a belief, not just having a certain belief. Sorry if that came out another way. Peace.

ConfusedKuri

That is true it is all about making choices based upon knowledge and verifying the truth of all we believe. Islam is not a religion of blind following. We do not have the option of saying we were taught wrong. We are to live by our choices and know the consequences of our choices. I follow the Hanafi Madhab of the Sunni. Other may follow other paths but we are all of one Ummah and follow the same 5 pillars of Islam which are:

• Faith or belief in the Oneness of God and the finality of the prophethood of Muhammad;
  • Establishment of the daily prayers;
  • Concern for and almsgiving to the needy;
  • Self-purification through fasting;
  • The pilgrimage to Makkah for those who are able.

Yes of course that's the foundation of Islam, that's not what I meant when I said different views, since that is generally all agreed upon.

Woodrow LI

IB Ambassador
Yes of course that's the foundation of Islam, that's not what I meant when I said different views, since that is generally all agreed upon.

No problem. I actually have no issue with other views, as long as the person is not substituting them for what is to be followed. Just as there are variations among the Madhabs there are variations among individuals. that does not mean the variations are bidah. There is plenty of room for differences and to still stay on the Sirat Mustaqeema