• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abortion

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Since you are so strongly against abortion, how is it that you don't support sexual education that encourages the practice of safe sex?? You don't support things that decrease the abortion rate? How does that work?

Safe sex cannot prevent a broken heart. Safe sex is not 100% effective against pregnancy and STDs and broken relationships. Safe sex is often premarital sex. God desires happy, healthy, committed marriage sex for couples.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Safe sex cannot prevent a broken heart. Safe sex is not 100% effective against pregnancy and STDs and broken relationships. Safe sex is often premarital sex. God desires happy, healthy, committed marriage sex for couples.

So, God approves faithful and committed marriages between gays, as well?

For, I do not see how gay marriage can produce any problems if it is monogamous and started from a state of sexual virginity.

Do you?

Ciao

- viole

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
The fetus has no rights until it is born and able to breathe. You can believe that it is not so and that the fetus is a human at whatever stage you like but the law does not support you in that.

The Bible Law, which predates all other current human laws and constitutions by millennia, pardons someone who strikes a pregnant woman purposefully or accidentally as far as the baby is concerned if the baby lives. If she loses the baby, the death penalty is required.

Again, if breathing on your own gives you the right to live, why do persons receive care including breathing apparatus in hospitals? If breathing on your own guarantees the right to live, why do we see someone with a collapsed lung receiving EMT treatment? They cannot breathe on their own. On the contrary, persons do everything they humanly can in most cases to help people who struggle for air to live. Unfortunately, there are abuses at abortion clinics where children are even born breathing and then allowed to suffocate.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
So, God approves faithful and committed marriages between gays, as well?

For, I do not see how gay marriage can produce any problems if it is monogamous and started from a state of sexual virginity.

Do you?

Ciao

- viole

Are you saying God and Christians should only condone marriage, gay or straight, based on health reasons? Is that what marriage is or is it something more?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Are you saying God and Christians should only condone marriage, gay or straight, based on health reasons? Is that what marriage is or is it something more?

It is more obviously.

So, you agree that love between two adults is all that is needed, independently from race, and sexual orientation?

Ciao

- viole

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
The Bible Law, which predates all other current human laws and constitutions by millennia, pardons someone who strikes a pregnant woman purposefully or accidentally as far as the baby is concerned if the baby lives. If she loses the baby, the death penalty is require

It does not, however, address parents choosing to end a pregnancy.
For any reason at all.

Anti Abortion is plain and simply not Scriptural. As much as I am opposed to @JoStories opinion about babies not mattering until they draw a breath, it is far more coherent with the beliefs of the authors of scripture than yours are.
Tom

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
We can allow God and natural law or we can contravene God and natural law by the (stubborn, rebellious) exercise of free will. For example, I could choose to become a skeptic/atheist. That choice may not be a pure choice or the right choice.
What on earth does this have to do with my questions?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
You don't like premarital sex, therefore you're against the practice of "safe sex?" Do I have that right? And you're also under the impression that married couples don't ever need or want to practice safe sex?

You don't like abortion, but you're not in favour of the very thing that cuts back significantly on unwanted pregnancies and abortions? I don't understand this position at all.

Not everybody believes in the god that you believe in or thinks we need to follow such rules. We need actual practical applications and solutions in the real world.

I find this all very confusing and contradictory.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
The Bible Law, which predates all other current human laws and constitutions by millennia, pardons someone who strikes a pregnant woman purposefully or accidentally as far as the baby is concerned if the baby lives. If she loses the baby, the death penalty is required.

Again, if breathing on your own gives you the right to live, why do persons receive care including breathing apparatus in hospitals? If breathing on your own guarantees the right to live, why do we see someone with a collapsed lung receiving EMT treatment? They cannot breathe on their own. On the contrary, persons do everything they humanly can in most cases to help people who struggle for air to live. Unfortunately, there are abuses at abortion clinics where children are even born breathing and then allowed to suffocate.
No it doesn't.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
You said, "God desires happy, healthy, committed marriage sex for couples."

Is that what marriage is or is it something more?

leibowde84

Veteran Member

Don't you think biblical law is a bit irrelevant to this conversation? Not everyone gives it any validity.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
The Bible Law, which predates all other current human laws and constitutions by millennia,

All that means is Bible Law is primitive. Abortion wasn't an issue then, so there is no relevant teachings.
Rather like environmental issues and a host of other moral issues that we modern people face that ancient people didn't.
Tom

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I never said teaching teens is preparation for teen sex. I said teaching teens abstinence and also not abstinence is teaching teens a mixed message.
Safe sex doesn't teach not to be abstinent. Just like teaching workplace health and safety doesn't teach people to be unsafe at work.

It's simply saying hey this, this and this cause STIs. Here's the symptoms of said STIs. Go see a doctor or other relevant medical professional for any concerns. If you are having sex go get regularly tested. Here's where the lines of consent are. Ladies here's how your body works, don't be ashamed. Fellas and ladies if your partner does not want to have sex, be cool and respect their boundaries.
Rape victims may experience orgasm. Here's all the myths about sex you probably have heard by now, here's why they're wrong.
And if you are going to have sex (could be that week, could be 5 years from now) here is how contraception methods work. Here's how to use them correctly.

I mean for Christ's sake man, do you just go out and burn random things down if you are taught about match safety? No you don't. You know how to be safe if you ever need to use it. Same goes for safe sex. No one is telling kids to go have sex, in fact many programs stress abstinence. But they're also realistic enough to realise that unless they have future nuns in their class that everyone will have sex sometime in life. It is then better to teach how to be safe when that time comes. Even if it's 20 years down the track.

I'm young and therefore supposed to be idealistic. What's your excuse?

And just FYI, married couples do need to know about safe sex as well.

Last edited:

JoStories

I am an advanced practice critical care nurse. So I feel qualified to answer your query here. Sometimes having someone on a vent is purposeful, as in it promotes their return to full or at least partial health. Other times, I strongly disagree with continuing to keep people on a vent when there is no reason for it. I have seen way too many people of your faith refuse to let a loved one go because, IMO, they are selfish and wish to believe that God will intervene. I can say that often this mindset results in intractable and horrific pain for the person vented. And IMO, that is the height of unpardonable hubris. And of course, ultimately, the person dies but not after they have suffered horribly. I hope you can see the difference and that I have explained your questions well enough. For me and my whole family, we have DNR, DNI mandates. Meaning we will never be placed on a vent.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
It does not, however, address parents choosing to end a pregnancy.
For any reason at all.

Anti Abortion is plain and simply not Scriptural. As much as I am opposed to @JoStories opinion about babies not mattering until they draw a breath, it is far more coherent with the beliefs of the authors of scripture than yours are.
Tom

That is a sweeping, general statement. Do you have verses in mind, perhaps?

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
You don't like premarital sex, therefore you're against the practice of "safe sex?" Do I have that right? And you're also under the impression that married couples don't ever need or want to practice safe sex?

You don't like abortion, but you're not in favour of the very thing that cuts back significantly on unwanted pregnancies and abortions? I don't understand this position at all.

Not everybody believes in the god that you believe in or thinks we need to follow such rules. We need actual practical applications and solutions in the real world.

I find this all very confusing and contradictory.

I'm sorry you are confused.

Teaching teens to attempt abstinence and also, "Have safe-r sex in case you're an animal who cannot be abstinent" is a mixed message. Mixed messages, not strong stances, are the source of confusion.