• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abrahamic Faiths - Common Faith

ahamtatsat

The Stranger
When Jesus said "I AM the way, the Truth, and the Light. No one cometh unto the Father but by me". he was not stating things as generally interpreted. Look at early biblical verse which Yahweh states "I AM THAT I AM".

So who am i - if you don't know who you are, it's like reading a map but not knowing where you are starting from. So when you meditate (Bible says to do this about 17 times in NT) don't bother trying to quiet the mind - that is brain function. It will make associations with ANY stimulus whatsoever. So when your body gets a bit sore - instead of trying to ignore it, ask "Who is sore - where is this "ME"?" When a thought comes up, ask: "Who thought this - where is this ego, this Syazrin?" When emotions come up, when you want something, ask "Where is this Syazrin that wants this, where is this Syazrin who feels this way?"

Soon there is only stimulus - ALWAYS SEPARATE FROM YOUR AWARENESS - and your awareness.

Very soon you find that there is no Syazrin - there is only Awareness, Consciousness, and the ego is a tool to function in the day to day of the world - and usually does it reasonably inefficiently and poorly, lol. When you get to that state of Awareness - there is no Syazrin, there is only one true statement - "I AM".

Go from there.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Hello, I've recently started learning about the Abrahamic Faiths i.e Judaism, Christianity, Islam. In my faith, it is an article of faith to believe that sacred books like Gospel and Torah came from the very same God. I believe that even in the Jewish literature, they do have such things like a common faith.

There are certainly many similarities between each scriptures and it amazes me to learn about this nature and it made me want to learn more about religions. So for now, I hope I could get some responses from my Jewish and Christian brothers and sisters regarding this issue:

Deuteronomy 6:4:
"Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord"

Mark 12:29:
"Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord."

Surah Al-Baqarah 2:163:
"And your god is one God. There is no deity [worthy of worship] except Him, the Entirely Merciful, the Especially Merciful."

My question to my brothers and sisters, what is the difference between the statements of Moses and Jesus regarding their commandment? Why did Jesus repeated what Moses has said earlier? In your opinion, why do you think Jesus didn't just simply come up with statement like "The Lord our God is Me"? Who did Moses worshipped?

May God guide us all to the straight path.

I believe this is the null hypothesis. One must be able to show that it was necessary for Jesus to say the Lord God is me. Also there are nuances since Jesus is not only God but also human so He uses the term one with the Father (God). At any rate the oneness exists in that statement.

David1967

Premium Member
I believe this is the null hypothesis. One must be able to show that it was necessary for Jesus to say the Lord God is me. Also there are nuances since Jesus is not only God but also human so He uses the term one with the Father (God). At any rate the oneness exists in that statement.

Its funny how Jesus never came out and said that about Himself in the gospels, rather He steered the conversation in a way that lead a person to that conclusion. For example when he asked His disciples, "who do people say that I am?" and then following it up with "but who do you say that I am?" to which Peter answered "you are the Christ the Son of the living God". Jesus never said such about Himself, yet never rebuked one that came to that conclusion, example Thomas after the resurrection.

IndigoStorm

I've come to view Jesus as Divine, but He was specific in that He wasn't on the same 'level' so to speak as God, the Father. I lean towards viewing 'one God' as a triune God. (the trinity)

Welcome to the forums, by the way :)

Truth is what you believe.

IndigoStorm

Hello, I've recently started learning about the Abrahamic Faiths i.e Judaism, Christianity, Islam. In my faith, it is an article of faith to believe that sacred books like Gospel and Torah came from the very same God. I believe that even in the Jewish literature, they do have such things like a common faith.

There are certainly many similarities between each scriptures and it amazes me to learn about this nature and it made me want to learn more about religions. So for now, I hope I could get some responses from my Jewish and Christian brothers and sisters regarding this issue:

"And your god is one God. There is no deity [worthy of worship] except Him, the Entirely Merciful, the Especially Merciful."

My question to my brothers and sisters, what is the difference between the statements of Moses and Jesus regarding their commandment? Why did Jesus repeated what Moses has said earlier? In your opinion, why do you think Jesus didn't just simply come up with statement like "The Lord our God is Me"? Who did Moses worshipped?

The mere fact that a heretical Jewish preacher named Yeshua lived around 30AD, had a group of followers and was later executed certainly does not mean that the son of god lived at that time.

*sigh*
1. Gott mit uns
2. "In 1701, Frederick I of Prussia changed his coat of arms as Prince-Elector of Brandenburg. The electoral scepter had its own shield under the electoral cap. Below, the motto Gott mit uns appeared on the pedestal."

1701 <- !

Source: Wikipedia

During the Second World War, Wehrmacht (part of Nazi Germany) soldiers wore this slogan on their belt buckles,[9] as opposed to members of the Waffen SS, who wore the motto Meine Ehre heißt Treue ('My honour is loyalty')

First of all, welcome to the forum. Second, Thanks for referring to Jews and Christians as your brothers and sisters! I feel the same way. I have always held the view that Jews, Christians and Muslims were dysfunctional children of the same Father. We all descend from Abraham in faith. We all worship the same God. You would think we would be the best of friends. Unfortunately as history shows, that has seldom been the case. Each of our religions over the centuries have killed and persecuted each other in the name of our religion and differences in interpretation of God and His nature and His prophets. Sadly as we know this still happens today. I do believe that we as Muslims, Christians and Jews have much more in common than many would think, in fact there are more differences between some Christian denominations than there are between our three religions respectfully. This forum, as I hope you will find, gives us all a unique opportunity to discuss our common ground as well as our differences in a friendly, sincere and respectful manner. The verses you quoted from the Old Testament, New Testament and Quran demonstrates this common ground. In response to your question above, I have read what others have posted and really have nothing more I can offer. I just wanted to say that I appreciate the good spirit in which you approach this subject, and again Welcome brother and Salam :)

Thank you brother and Assalamualaikum/Shalom Aleichem :)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Hi, Syazrin. I'm a Christian (Mormon, to be more specific), and I wanted to begin by thanking you for this thread. Next, I wanted to post something I read here on RF all the way back in 2007. Here it is:

I know what my purpose on earth is and I know what I'm allowed to do and what I'm prohibited from doing. I have a solid moral system, where I don't make up my own system of what’s right and wrong but I have it from the creator. I have a sense of cleanliness and modesty. I know my obligations to those less fortunate than me in both knowledge and wealth. I know what happens to my soul after it leaves my body and the questions it'll be asked, I also know the torments of the disbeliever and the temporary punishment for the sinning believer. I know what awaits the believers in paradise.

In short there isn't an aspect in my life that isn't governed by religion, I mean EVERY aspect of my life is inspired by religion.

This post was by a Muslim, but when I read it, I thought, "Oh my gosh! I could have written exactly the same thing as a Mormon!"

Last edited:

Flankerl

Source: Wikipedia

During the Second World War, Wehrmacht (part of Nazi Germany) soldiers wore this slogan on their belt buckles,

Yes congratulations. One might call it "Tradition".
That doesn't make the soldiers into Fighters for Christianity. It was simply the Motto of the Franconian branch of the Hohenzollern House after Friedrich I. made it so.

Muffled

Jesus in me
The mere fact that a heretical Jewish preacher named Yeshua lived around 30AD, had a group of followers and was later executed certainly does not mean that the son of god lived at that time.

I believe you have selected the facts that support your view but there are other facts that do not.

Aset's Flames

Viperine Asetian

You can look at religions that borrowed heavily from previous ones and see some connections.

However there are many ways in which the three main abrahamic faiths disagree.

Last edited:

Aset's Flames

Viperine Asetian
Hi, Syazrin. I'm a Christian (Mormon, to be more specific), and I wanted to begin by thanking you for this thread. Next, I wanted to post something I read here on RF all the way back in 2007. Here it is:

I know what my purpose on earth is and I know what I'm allowed to do and what I'm prohibited from doing. I have a solid moral system, where I don't make up my own system of what’s right and wrong but I have it from the creator. I have a sense of cleanliness and modesty. I know my obligations to those less fortunate than me in both knowledge and wealth. I know what happens to my soul after it leaves my body and the questions it'll be asked, I also know the torments of the disbeliever and the temporary punishment for the sinning believer. I know what awaits the believers in paradise.

In short there isn't an aspect in my life that isn't governed by religion, I mean EVERY aspect of my life is inspired by religion.

This post was by a Muslim, but when I read it, I thought, "Oh my gosh! I could have written exactly the same thing as a Mormon!"

That is a frightening thought.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Why it is a frightening thought is that if you base everything in your life on your religion, if you had been reborn among ISIS then you would be fighting for them right now.
Well, you obviously don't know me at all. If you'd read my sig, you'd know that, and you'd realize that you've grossly misjudged me. Your accusation was mean, inappropriate and 100% inaccurate.

Aset's Flames

Viperine Asetian
Well, you obviously don't know me at all. If you'd read my sig, you'd know that, and you'd realize that you've grossly misjudged me. Your accusation was mean, inappropriate and 100% inaccurate.

Then you do not base your life 100% on religion as your post seemed to imply.

I am sorry if you feel personally attacked, I truly believe that most people that are reborn and born among ISIS will fight for them and not rebel.

I believe that is not true. Many people believed the world was flat but it was not the truth.

Not for me. I never believed that the world was flat. Quran states in Surah An-Nazi'at 79:30 that God made the earth egg-shaped (Arabic: Dahaha). This word, Dahaha, is a very complex word in Arabic and I've been learning the language for years and still couldn't find the actual root of it, as you may know that the language of the Quran is 1400 years old. And many words in the Quran can mean so many things depending on the context and the time you're at. Like Dahaha, the meaning could be egg-shaped or spherical or even wide spread. God knows best.