• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abrahamic views on animals having souls?

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Do animals have souls? I want some Jewish, Christian, Muslim, and I won't forget- Baha'i perspectives on it.

arthra

Baha'i
Do animals have souls? I want some Jewish, Christian, Muslim, and I won't forget- Baha'i perspectives on it.

Regarding animals having souls:

When asked about the individual persistence of the animal's personality after death, 'Abdu'l-Bahá said: "Even the most developed dog has not the immortal soul of the man; yet the dog is perfect in its own place. You do not quarrel with a rose-tree because it cannot sing!"

(Abdu'l-Baha, Abdu'l-Baha in London, p. 97)

The human spirit which distinguishes man from the animal is the rational soul; and these two names -- the human spirit and the rational soul -- designate one thing. This spirit, which in the terminology of the philosophers is the rational soul, embraces all beings, and as far as human ability permits discovers the realities of things and becomes cognizant of their peculiarities and effects, and of the qualities and properties of beings. But the human spirit, unless assisted by the spirit of faith, does not become acquainted with the divine secrets and the heavenly realities. It is like a mirror which, although clear, polished, and brilliant, is still in need of light. Until a ray of the sun reflects upon it, it cannot discover the heavenly secrets.

(Abdu'l-Baha, Baha'i World Faith - Abdu'l-Baha Section, p. 316)

Now as to what thou askest concerning the spirit and its "return" to this world of humanity and this elemental space: Know that spirit in general is divided into five sorts -- the vegetable spirit, the animal spirit, the human spirit, the spirit of faith, and the divine spirit of sanctity.

The vegetable spirit is the virtue augmentative, or growing or vegetative faculty, which results from the admixture of the simple elements, with the co-operation of water, air and heat.

The animal spirit is the virtue perceptive resulting from the admixture and absorption of the vital elements generated in the heart, which apprehend sense-impressions.

The human spirit consists of the rational, or logical, reasoning faculty, which apprehends general ideas and things intelligible and perceptible.

Now these "spirits" are not reckoned as Spirit in the terminology of the Scriptures and the usage of the people of the Truth, inasmuch as the laws governing them are as the laws which govern all phenomenal being (i.e., all existences belonging to the phenomenal or material universe, called "the world of generation and corruption"), in respect to generation, corruption, production, change and reversion, as is clearly indicated in the Gospel where it says: "Let the dead bury their dead;" "That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is Spirit"; inasmuch as he who would bury these dead was alive with the vegetative, animal and rational human soul, yet did Christ -- to whom be glory! -- declare such dead and devoid of life, in that this person was devoid of the Spirit of Faith, which is the Kingdom of God.

(Abdu'l-Baha, Tablets of Abdu'l-Baha v1, p. 115)

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

Gen 1:20*And God went on to say: “Let the waters swarm forth a swarm of living souls and let flying creatures fly over the earth upon the face of the expanse of the heavens.” 21*And God proceeded to create the great sea monsters and every living soul that moves about, which the waters swarmed forth according to their kinds, and every winged flying creature according to its kind.

all living creatures ARE souls according to the bible. The 'nephesh' means 'soul' in hebrew....and that is what God created, many forms of nephesh.

So do animals 'have' a soul....yes they do, it is their living body of flesh and bones. Can the soul of such animals die, yes, they die and return to 'dust' as genesis says.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I have debated this with my husband. All I can say here is that I think that animals have spirits.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I think most Anglicans are fairly split in their views on this. but there seems to be a growing trend that believe that animals do have souls. In recent times it has become clear that many animals have emotions and feeling and a perception of future.
If we have souls and share almost all our DNA with other animals and have a direct link to them, it would seem reasonable that we also share "Soul". It is also reasonable that we should act towards them as if they had.

james2ko

We believe animals are souls [nephesh]. Like humans, that soul consists of a body and spirit (Ecc 3:21). Although our bodies are physiologically similar to that of animals, the great chasm between us lies in the quality of the "spirit".

In Reply to Pegg;3369592]

all living creatures ARE souls according to the bible. The 'nephesh' means 'soul' in hebrew....and that is what God created, many forms of nephesh.

So do animals 'have' a soul....yes they do, it is their living body of flesh and bones. Can the soul of such animals die, yes, they die and return to 'dust' as genesis says.[/quote]

Hey there Pegg.

I wrote a post on this topic and I studied this topic in depth. I have found another Verse that seems to affirm your faith, on this matter.

Rev 16:3 And the second angel poured out his vial upon the sea; and it became as the blood of a dead man: and every living soul died in the sea.

I honestly think that this Question is a a wonderful and important question.

but what about this Verse.. from Job . ?

Ecc 3:20 All go unto one place; all are of the dust, and all turn to dust again.
Ecc 3:21 Who knoweth the spirit of man that goeth upward, and the spirit of the beast that goeth downward to the earth?

Though Man and Beast are spirits and souls and body.

The question I have . Is, Do animals have the same kinds of Souls as MAN. ?

and is not, the SOUL, jUST the combination of the Spirit of LIFE, being UNITED with the body ...?

We ARE Living SOULS....