• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abstinence Only In My schools

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
I would say that she lies to spread her personal agenda (which is obviously a faith based effort to force her religious views on others) - fear and ignorance are the vehicles that carry the lie.
Fight the good fight Linwood, and never waiver. Have you contacted the ACLU?

TVOR

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
personally I'm not going to rely on school to teach my kids about the risks and rewards of sex. I think its rediculous to depend on schools to teach my kids (when and if I have them) something so important to thier future helth and happyness. If parents are so concerned they should talk with thier children about the subject and not simply put thier heads in the sand and pretend that they didn't have sex to have thier children.
I agree linwood that the video in question seems a bit extreme for a truely 'educational' tool.

wa:do

linwood

Have you contacted the ACLU?
I have but no real response as of yet.
I realise they have alot on their plate in this new USA we have today.

personally I'm not going to rely on school to teach my kids about the risks and rewards of sex. I think its rediculous to depend on schools to teach my kids (when and if I have them) something so important to thier future helth and happyness.
I agree wolf but the problem is everyone doesn`t .

Student surveys show most parents give little or no instruction about sexuality in general.
The point is that my children have to grow up and live with all these other children as they enter adulthood and it would be better if they all had a clue about STD`s.

linwood

Here`s an update on the Pam Stenzel anstinence only video I refered to in this thread.

It`s a review of the video by a biased but well educated source.

I cannot at this time tell you the source because it is due for major publication in two weeks and I technically should not have a copy.

I would appreciate if there was no re-posting of this article in parts or whole.

I myself still have not seen this video other than the webclip I posted here.
I lost my bid on Ebay and just can`t bring myself to pay money for this thing but I know someone who said they`d burn a copy for me this week.

Ceredwin and Spinkles have seen this video so they can tell if there is anything wrong here.

This is not the article in its entirety but just a few pastes from the technical misrepresentaion part.

• Stenzel gives only sex Negative messages:
·[font=&quot] [/font]“You will pay if you have sex outside of marriage.” If you are part of the majority of teens who have been sexually active, the message they will get from this is that you have no self control or self respect, you are probably already infected with a STI and going to become sterile or die. No one will want to love you, trust you or marry you.

·[font=&quot] [/font]Later she says the same thing “If you have sex outside of marriage you are going to pay for it…” and adds “with your life.”

·[font=&quot] [/font]She makes girls the gate keepers, the ones with the sole responsibility for handling sexual pressure.

·[font=&quot] [/font]She makes the statement with regard to being sexually active, “The next time you put that gun to your head…”

·[font=&quot] [/font]In reference to the movie, The Titanic, “It is a good thing that boy died”!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT KIND OF MESSAGE IS THAT TO GIVE TO YOUNG PEOPLE! It says that if you express your sexuality you deserve to die!?! She is telly youth that she does not trust or respect them. She does not model the optimism needed to empower young people to believe in their own power so that they have the confidence needed to negotiate relationships and become good decision makers.

• Stenzel gives major misinformation:
·[font=&quot] [/font]“Pregnant girls have 2.3 times more STIs.” There is nothing I could find that verified that. She jumps with statistics, i.e. a pregnant girl must have had unprotected sex to become pregnant, therefore because she had unprotected sex she falls into the category of one who always has unprotected sex, therefore she has 2.3 more STIs. Quite a leap and quite inaccurate. A pregnant girl may only have had sex one time!

·[font=&quot] [/font]“You are 10 times more likely to get a STI if on birth control.” Again, she is using a leap, equating someone who is on birth control with someone who is having sex with many partners without protection of any kind, and thus the 10 times statistic. Actually, someone who is responsible enough to be on birth control, is usually also responsible by using a barrier method of disease prevention.

[font=&quot]“Warts lead to cervical cancer.”[/font][font=&quot] Although there is currently no “cure” for genital HPV infection, most cases are transient and clear themselves without medical intervention (CDC, 2001; Elfgren, et al., 2000; Ho, et al., 1998). One study designed to determine the natural history of genital HPV infection followed college women for three years (Ho, et al., 1998). HPV was detected using a sensitive DNA test that detects small amounts of HPV, even when there are no symptoms present. While there was a high rate of HPV infection (43 percent tested positive for HPV at some point over the study period), the average duration of HPV infection was eight months. Repeated HPV DNA testing showed that seventy percent of the women cleared their HPV infections within one year through the natural immune process, and only nine percent continued to be infected after two years. Another study conducted in Sweden supported these findings, with a five-year clearance rate of 92 percent (Elfgren, et al., 2000).

[/font] ·[font=&quot] [/font]“Girls have 25% chance of being sterile even if cured of Chlamydia.” This is a false statement, because if they have been cured of the disease, it can no longer cause any damage. The fact is that some people may not have symptoms when they have Chlamydia and therefore they may not get testing and treatment. Therefore, if left untreated, it may lead to pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), a serious infection of the reproductive organs. PID can cause scarring of the fallopian tubes, which can block the tubes and prevent fertilization from taking place. This is why at Planned Parenthood we urge all sexually active individuals to be sexually responsible and get annual pap and pelvic exams that can test for these diseases. Only if left untreated is there a risk of difficulty in becoming pregnant.

·[font=&quot] [/font]“You will definitely give your spouse herpes ”boils” . Many couples where one partner is infected, have healthy sexual relations and even have children without infecting the other partner.

·[font=&quot] [/font]“The HPV test costs $1,000, not covered by insurance and is a blood test.” It is called “thin prep” and it costs about $70 at Planned Parenthood.

·[font=&quot] [/font]“Can you have sex with someone who has had sex with someone else and NOT get a disease?” YES, responsible people do it every day!

·[font=&quot] [/font]“You will infect everyone you have sex with.” NO! Here is another example of adultism—she believes that youth cannot be responsible with their sexual behavior. She also assumes they will all become infected, no matter how responsible they are.

·[font=&quot] [/font]“Abstinence, no genital contact, equals safe sex.” There are many ways to express our sexuality in safe ways. Teaching young people these ways does not give them permission to have sex, it sets them on the right track of being sexually responsible, sexually healthy individuals.

·[font=&quot] [/font]Condoms are barely mentioned and when they are, she negates their efficacy. She omits important prevention information.

·[font=&quot] [/font]“You have to be abstinent for 3 years with periodic blood testing to know if you are free of disease.” This is just blatantly false misinformation. The window period for HIV is three months.

linwood

By the way.

The fact that Stenzel even mentions abortion is enough to get this video booted from the Life Skill currculum in my county.

The pro-lifers had it added to the outline of the curriculum this past summer when they started this.

I`ll be talking to my kids counselor tomorrow

Irony is a wonderful thing.

:biglaugh:

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
"If a school promotes any viewpoint, they are under legal obligation to provide the same amount of time to promote the opposite side of the issue."

what view point? i think the source of those tapes are the biggest concern. i agree with ceridwen, id rather have my kids safe than sorry. but christian organizations are not out to get you. and i doubt there is a christian theme in there. the truth does hurt.

there is no otherview point. unless if you were mad and actually wanted to promote videos for kids to have sex and share stds....

i mean, its not promoting that sex is immoral, it just says that its dangerous and illegal. its not saying that jesus should be your savior...

sigh...

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Gerani1248 said:
there is no otherview point. unless if you were mad and actually wanted to promote videos for kids to have sex and share stds....
Actually, that's a false dilemma. It's not really a choice between scaring kids into celibacy versus encouraging them to "share STD's", since there are other alternatives. For instance, you could encourage kids to abstain from sex, but to use responsible methods of protection from STDs and pregnancy should they have sex. In fact, studies show that about 90% of the parents in this country would prefer that that is exactly what human sexuality courses taught their kids.

linwood

Gerani1248 said:
i think the source of those tapes are the biggest concern. i agree with ceridwen, id rather have my kids safe than sorry.
You wouldn`t mind falsehoods, lies, and misinformation being taught to your children?

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
linwood said:
You wouldn`t mind falsehoods, lies, and misinformation being taught to your children?
Well........ there is that little problem. Send your child to school for an education, then allow those charged with teaching him to intentionally and knowingly lie to him....
Sounds like a good plan to me! :areyoucra

TVOR

linwood

The Voice of Reason said:
Well........ there is that little problem. Send your child to school for an education, then allow those charged with teaching him to intentionally and knowingly lie to him....
Sounds like a good plan to me! :areyoucra

TVOR
To be entirely honest I really am not quite sure this situation bothers me so much.

It`s not like it`s an isolated incident, I seeth with anger everytime one of my kids comes home with a history report or project that requires him to study and repeat what I know are lies and misinterpretations.

I have to spend time de-programming them with the truth or whatever evidence there is of it.
The oldest one is kind of fun, he likes to write what he knows they want to hear and then tags it with an asterisk for a reference to the truth at the bottom.

This got him an F on one project until I went and discussed it with his history teacher whose biggest complaint was that the information didn`t follow the curriculum.
He didn`t give a damn whether or not it was true or false he just wanted to "Stick to the curriculum"

My kid ended up with a B after that little discussion.

The younger boy is a bit less rebellious though he wants no part of rocking the boat.

I still de-program him though.

I guess the sex-ed thing bugs me becuase it`s dangerous to be mis or un-informed about STI`s and contraception.

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
ya. the first time i was taught about that was in 5th grade. i was clueless. no idea. 5th grade. that was soo early. still, if it wasnt for them, i probably would have had the misconception that both males and females had penises.

educating kids about contraceptives and all is good. but abstinence is better. you arent scaring them, you are sending a clear messege for them to partake in it, until they are much older. one might say, i have a right to do whatever i want. but they are only kids. or teens. but not capable of making reasoned judgement along the lines of wanting sex. i mean, they are curious for anything.

im all for talks about STDs. after 6th grade, not one class after had a talk of sex ed. perhaps this was because i went to a catholic middle and high school after. hm.... thats odd.

ah well...

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Personally, Linwood, I'm damn glad you're fighting this fight. It's my hunch that if the proponents of abstinence only sexuality education win then the lies and distortions we see today will only be the begining of the lies and distortions about human sexuality that we would see should they win.

The only advantage that lying to kids about their sexuality has is that it's sure to fuel a demand for therapists in the coming years, thus boosting the economy.