• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adam and Eve as a Myth

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
I don't know that it was even a small hill. And its possible that if the fountains of the deep were broken up and there was all kinds of volcanic and other cataclysmic activity, perhaps even a meteor and whatnot, that resulted in the shifting of the tectonic plates, that it could have been formed much more rapidly at that time and the movement has slowed down.
I'm pretty certain a meteor that hit earth with enough power to shift the tectonic plates would have most likely wiped out a huge portion of the planet, or at the very least eradicated all life on the planet.

Its like when Mt. St. Helen's erupted and made a miniature version of the Grand Canyon, it all happened real quick, but its not happening now. That's like the Ice Age, I believe in it, but I don't necessarily believe it was as far back or as long as some say. The billions of years thing, its a bit subjective to me. But, I don't know what I'm talking about concerning things that happened long ago, I wasn't there, I'm just saying, I believe the Bible. May seem irrational, unscientific or insane, but its just what I believe. Crazy, huh?
Well, at least you're honest. But do you not see that you are choosing to make-up facts or force the facts to fit your religious views? Do you not think that you should let the facts dictate what you believe rather than the other way around? What you are doing can be used by anyone, of any belief, to justify their position. The truth - no matter what you choose to interpret that as being - is that your beliefs are not supported by the facts. In reality, all the available facts that we have indicate the world is much older than you believe, that humanity did not form out of two singular people, that the Garden of Eden did not exist, that life evolved gradually over time and that there was never any incident of a global flood. No evidence exists whatsoever in science that would indicate that any of these beliefs have any basis in reality.

The moment you cast aside facts as being unimportant to your beliefs is the moment your beliefs no longer have any validity or basis in fact. To designate what is true and what is not based purely on belief alone means you cannot differentiate between reality and fantasy. Essentially, what is true becomes redundant, and what you choose to believe takes precedence over what is actually right. This is the logic used by people to justify any number of absurd belief systems, practices and mythologies. In effect, if you rely purely on what you want to believe rather than on what facts or evidence indicate to you, your beliefs are factually indistinguishable from the baseless beliefs of anybody else, be they someone of a different belief system, a conflicting worldview or even a madman.

Agnostic75

javajo said:
For me, I see no disagreement between science and the Bible.......

Neither do the vast majority majority of Christian biologists who accept theistic evolution, and the vast majority of Christian geologists who reject the global flood theory. How is it that you know more about science than they do? What is your academic background in biology, and geology?

Agnostic75

Message to javajo: Glenn Morton is a Christian geophysicist. Please read one of his articles at Glenn Morton's story. In the article, Morton tells how he grew up believing that a global flood occurred, and why he eventually gave up believing that a global flood occurred. He has studied the global flood extensively, and has written many articles about it. A detailed collection of some of his articles is at Global Flood.

Please read another article about the global flood at A Visit To The ICR, by Karen Bartelt.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
How deep was the water that came from the forty days of rain?
Think about how deep would be the highest level of water, just above the mountains you think !
I guess it came from out the sky, flooded everything and everywhere.
It drowned everyone cept but the ones on that ark, killed all the rest of them.
When the rain stopped, and there's thousands of rotting corpses, and all the flies ! How long did it take it for the earth to drain off ?
And to where did it drain ?
TO WHERE DID IT DRAIN ??
Happy fish though !
Who sucked up all the water, where'd it go.
Through a hole in the earth out to space or into a big cave in the center of the world.
~
Give me a break !!
~
`mud

gnostic

The Lost One
javajo said:
I believe the Bible. May seem irrational, unscientific or insane, but its just what I believe. Crazy, huh? Hey, peace, and have a good night, I gtg. :)

You can believe anything you like, God, angels, the Devil, heaven and hell.

But none of them is part of this reality - the natural world...or even the natural universe. It is all on faith and superstitions, not on facts.

As fascinating the Bible is, as stories are and to learn the cultures of ancient people, the Bible can only teach people some real-life lessons, which is extremely limited. The only useful things I see in the Bible is the moral lesson, though it is somewhat archaic now.

The Bible doesn't teach you a single things about the natural world like science and technology. It doesn't teach you about medicine or health living styles. Our world is ever-changing, so you have to live in this world at this time, not in the past.

Take the stories of Cain and Abel (Genesis 4). No, I am not talking about the murder of Cain's brother nor his punishment for the crime.

I am talking about very basic and everyday mundane stuff. All that the Bible say is that Cain being the 1st crop-growing farmer and Abel as the 1st shepherd, and it just leave it at that.

It offer no agricultural knowledge on how to farm, like -

• when to sow, when to harvest?
  • what to use as fertilizer? what plants are suitable for what land?
  • what tools to use for ploughing fields or for harvesting the crops, and to and how to use those tools effectively?
  • how to irrigate the land and manage water?
And it offer no basic knowledge on animal husbandry. I think you know what I am getting at, so I don't need to provide you with sample questions of how to become a shepherd. (Actually, I don't know much for caring sheep or goats, but you get my drift.)

In the Abraham and Jacob's stories, both were shepherds. The measure of wealth at this time is by how many cattle or herds one have. Abraham had more flocks (as well as healthier flocks) than Lot or his other neighbours, and it was the same with Jacob over his father-in-law Laban, ALL BECAUSE GOD magically made their (Abraham's and Jacob's) flocks more fertile.

The Bible doesn't teach a lot of things. What little it provides, seemed some what "generic".

It say in Genesis 1:14-19, particular the 1st verse:
Genesis 1:14 said:
And God said, “Let there be lights in the vault of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark sacred times, and days and years,
And yet, nothing in the entire bible say how this calendar system work (except for 6 days plus Sabbath) or what these supposed "signs" to be.

Last edited:

javajo

Sorry, folks, too many attackers. I still believe in Adam and Eve and Noah and the Flood. I think science shows it to be a valid belief. I think science supports the Bible much more than evolution or millions of years.

For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. 1 Cor. 15:22

waitasec

Veteran Member
Sorry, folks, too many attackers. I still believe in Adam and Eve and Noah and the Flood. I think science shows it to be a valid belief. I think science supports the Bible much more than evolution or millions of years.

For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. 1 Cor. 15:22

did you hear?
archeologist found penguin fossils in the sahara desert...apparently they were migrating towards the south pole...
:sarcastic

Agnostic75

javajo said:
I think science supports the Bible much more than evolution or millions of years.

Is your opinion based upon an excellent understanding of biology? For years, creationists have touted the flagellum as excellent proof of creationism. Most experts, including most Christian experts, digagree.

Ken Miller, Ph.D., biology, is a devout Roman Catholic, and is widely considered to be an expert on evolution. He has an article on the evolution of the flagellum at The Flagellum Unspun. Do you understand the article well enough to adequately refute it? Obviously not, which means that from an entirely scientific perspective, you are not in a position to object to something that you do not understand. Logically, a person must undertand what they are objecting to in order to object to it.

The same situation is true regarding the global flood. You do not know nearly enough about geology to claim from an entirely scientific perspective that a global flood occurred.

Last edited:

Agnostic75

Message to javajo: Consider part of a reply that I made to rusra02:

Agnostic75 said:
Some black African Christian creationists live in remote jungle regions in the world, do not know how to read or write, and have very little contact with the outside world. Have they "examined the evidence" of evolution in detail? Of course not, not even minimally, and yet you are happy that they became Christians even though they know next to nothing about science. So, "examining the evidence" is not really an issue for you after all as long as people choose to believe what you want them to believe.

So now we have an answer to my question. I said "Do you believe that it is acceptable for people who know very little about science to accept creationism, and the global flood story?" As I just showed with the African scenario, your obvious answer is "yes," which invites the question "Since science doesn't really matter to you after all, why are you making posts in a science forum?

Do you believe that it is acceptable for people who know very little about science to accept creationism, and the global flood story? If so, why are you making posts in a science forum?

Do you believe that God requires that all Christians accept creationism, and the global flood story?

Last edited:

javajo

Hi, so I thought I'd try to respond briefly to all the posts directed toward me. So, this is my beliefs...
We see it right now, no need to wait, It isn't you. There is no magical ending coming where you are miraculously correct.
If the Bible is truly God's Word (God, who cannot lie...let God be true but every man a liar...I am the way, the truth...), Then there is. But, hey, at least I am at peace and happy to believe that I am made in God's image and am deeply loved and accepted by him and will live forever with him. That's better than believing I am just an animal whose forefathers hung from trees throwing dung at one another.

I'm pretty certain a meteor that hit earth with enough power to shift the tectonic plates would have most likely wiped out a huge portion of the planet, or at the very least eradicated all life on the planet.
Yeah, all but eight people.

Well, at least you're honest. But do you not see that you are choosing to make-up facts or force the facts to fit your religious views? Do you not think that you should let the facts dictate what you believe rather than the other way around? What you are doing can be used by anyone, of any belief, to justify their position. The truth - no matter what you choose to interpret that as being - is that your beliefs are not supported by the facts. In reality, all the available facts that we have indicate the world is much older than you believe, that humanity did not form out of two singular people, that the Garden of Eden did not exist, that life evolved gradually over time and that there was never any incident of a global flood. No evidence exists whatsoever in science that would indicate that any of these beliefs have any basis in reality.
I believe it takes a much greater miracle to think we just happened than to believe in God. Actually, I was taught evolution and millions of years every year of school, so I believed that first. As I began to study it I began to seriously question it and saw that Creation made much more sense. I may not have been there to see it, but I do believe God laid the foundations of the earth. And he created Adam and Eve just like his Word says.
The moment you cast aside facts as being unimportant to your beliefs is the moment your beliefs no longer have any validity or basis in fact. To designate what is true and what is not based purely on belief alone means you cannot differentiate between reality and fantasy. Essentially, what is true becomes redundant, and what you choose to believe takes precedence over what is actually right. This is the logic used by people to justify any number of absurd belief systems, practices and mythologies. In effect, if you rely purely on what you want to believe rather than on what facts or evidence indicate to you, your beliefs are factually indistinguishable from the baseless beliefs of anybody else, be they someone of a different belief system, a conflicting worldview or even a madman.
I don't cast aside facts. I may not agree with your "facts" on origins as being actual facts.

As an article at mount st helens as a model for the grand canyon? somehow i don’t think so | BioBlog shows, javajo's comparing Mt. St. Helen's with the Grand Canyon is a false analogy. That false analogy has been debunked many times by many people, and would be considered absurd by most geologists, inclduding most Christian geologists.
All it said is it couldn't have cut through all those hard sedimentary layers fast. But I believe those layers were a result of rapid sediment deposit from the flood, and were still soft, so it does make sense, looks exactly like it, too.

Message to javajo: Glenn Morton is a Christian geophysicist. Please read one of his articles at Glenn Morton's story. In the article, Morton tells how he grew up believing that a global flood occurred, and why he eventually gave up believing that a global flood occurred. He has studied the global flood extensively, and has written many articles about it. A detailed collection of some of his articles is at Global Flood.

Please read another article about the global flood at A Visit To The ICR, by Karen Bartelt.
You do know there are many articles refuting Morton's works?

How deep was the water that came from the forty days of rain?
Think about how deep would be the highest level of water, just above the mountains you think !
I guess it came from out the sky, flooded everything and everywhere.
It drowned everyone cept but the ones on that ark, killed all the rest of them.
When the rain stopped, and there's thousands of rotting corpses, and all the flies ! How long did it take it for the earth to drain off ?
And to where did it drain ?
TO WHERE DID IT DRAIN ??
Happy fish though !
Who sucked up all the water, where'd it go.
Through a hole in the earth out to space or into a big cave in the center of the world.
~
Give me a break !!
~
`mud
The Bible says the fountains of the deep were broken up and it rained 40 days and nights, that there were only little hills before the flood, bodies of animals were fossilized, it took a year before Noah hit land, and the water is still here, most of the world is covered in water. I believe the ocean floors cooled and sank and the mountains were pushed up.

javajo

Had to make it 2 posts, my beliefs are:

You can believe anything you like, God, angels, the Devil, heaven and hell.

But none of them is part of this reality - the natural world...or even the natural universe. It is all on faith and superstitions, not on facts.
The history and cities and Kings and people of the Bible certainly are part of this natural world. But there is also a spiritual world...

As fascinating the Bible is, as stories are and to learn the cultures of ancient people, the Bible can only teach people some real-life lessons, which is extremely limited. The only useful things I see in the Bible is the moral lesson, though it is somewhat archaic now.

The Bible doesn't teach you a single things about the natural world like science and technology. It doesn't teach you about medicine or health living styles. Our world is ever-changing, so you have to live in this world at this time, not in the past.
The Bible teaches the most important thing, how to know one can have the free gift of eternal life. Jesus said there is one thing one must do, he said, Ye must be born again.

That's because you don't know what 'science' says. It doesn't agree at all. You simply wish to be right, facts be darned.
I see no conflict with science and the Bible. I know what origins theories teach.

did you hear?
archeologist found penguin fossils in the sahara desert...apparently they were migrating towards the south pole...
:sarcastic
Fossils are found in many places that they should not be found. So much for the geologic table.

Is your opinion based upon an excellent understanding of biology?
I think so. It is also based on God's Word which I believe 100%.

For years, creationists have touted the flagellum as excellent proof of creationism. Most experts, including most Christian experts, digagree. Ken Miller, Ph.D., biology, is a devout Roman Catholic, and is widely considered to be an expert on evolution. He has an article on the evolution of the flagellum at The Flagellum Unspun. Do you understand the article well enough to adequately refute it? Obviously not, which means that from an entirely scientific perspective, you are not in a position to object to something that you do not understand. Logically, a person must undertand what they are objecting to in order to object to it.
There are already many articles that refute it.

The same situation is true regarding the global flood. You do not know nearly enough about geology to claim from an entirely scientific perspective that a global flood occurred.
I"m not claiming entirely from a scientific perspective that a global flood occurred. I said I believe in Adam and Eve and in Noah and the Flood because the Bible says it, and I believe the Bible. Science and common sense also plays a part.

Message to javajo: Consider part of a reply that I made to rusra02:

Do you believe that it is acceptable for people who know very little about science to accept creationism, and the global flood story? If so, why are you making posts in a science forum?
Sure. Just like people who know little of origins science and accept evolution as a fact and not a theory. As God asked Noah, Were you there when I laid the foundations of the earth? Is this a science forum? I thought it was a discussion about Adam and Eve as myth. Ok, I see its evolution vs. creationism. Not really my cup of tea as I think evolution is absurd.

Do you believe that God requires that all Christians accept creationism, and the global flood story?
Ah, good question. I believe God requires, for one to become a Christian, that they realize they have sinned, which God gives us a conscience and the commandments, don't lie, steal, murder, covet, commit adultery, take God's name in vain, obey your parents, etc. so we know we all have fallen short. Then one must understand the penalty of sin is death, as God told Adam that if he disobeyed, literally, dying you will die, so Adam sinned and brought death to all as Romans 5 teaches, Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned, as well as 1 Cor. 15:22 says, For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8, so Christ paid the penalty so what God requires is only that we believe in Christ, that his death paid the penalty of sin, which is death. If we trust him that he paid the penalty we are freely saved forevermore to the uttermost. While one may be saved and somehow believe God used evolution to make us, or that the flood or Adam and Eve were just stories that tell a spiritual truth or whatnot, its not what I believe. I believe sin and death were passed down from Adam, Noah was the 9th from Adam, Abraham the 18th, and we have many genealogies recorded in the Bible of this, even Jesus who's went all the way back to Adam. Jesus believed Adam, Noah and Abraham existed, and he believed in the Flood, and so do I.

Last edited:

Agnostic75

javajo said:
But, hey, at least I am at peace and happy to believe that I am made in God's image and am deeply loved and accepted by him and will live forever with him.

Whether you are at peace or not does not have anything whatsover to do with how much you know about biology, and geology. Would you be prepared at this time to have a formal, one on one debate with a biologist regarding creationism, and a geologist regarding geology, and agree not to consult any references, and only makes posts based upon your own personal knowledge? Probably not. You are not in a position to have informed opinions creationism, and the global flood theory.

You said that Glenn Morton's articles have been refuted, but even if they have, you would not be able to understand the refutations. What do you hope to gain by quoting articles that you do not understand? Anyone can copy things from the Internet. I can post refutations to your refutations, and so on. Since you are not an expert in science, why are you making posts in a science forum?

javajo said:
That's better than believing I am just an animal whose forefathers hung from trees throwing dung at one another.

Are you not aware that evolution does not deal with how life began, only how it changed after it began? When Charles Darwin wrote "On the Origin of Species," he was a theist, not an atheist. Since the majority of Christian biologists accept theistic evolution, evolution is obviously not an issue of whether or not a person believes in God.

The vast majority of non-Christians in the world already believe in various Gods. What good will that do them after they die?

Last edited: