• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adam and Eve as a Myth

javajo

Do you know that many very competent Torah translations render this as "in the beginning of God creating the heavens and the earth," thereby eliminating the sense of creation ex nihilo?
Good point, but then it goes on to describe 6 days and nights, mornings and evenings where God created certain things on certain days. He created the plants on the third day, so on the fourth day he made the sun (duh). It says he spoke them into existence. And, other passages in the Bible say God/Jesus created everything:

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 The same was in the beginning with God.
3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. John 1

...his dear Son:14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins: 15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:
16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:
17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist. Col. 1

The Bible says God created these things out of nothing, he spoke them into existence, "And God said:"

6 By the word of the Lord were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth. Ps. 33

...God, who quickeneth the dead, and calleth those things which be not as though they were. Romans 4:17b

...hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: 1 Cor. 1:28b

3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear. Hebrews 11

So, I believe God created everything and did it in six days (he coulda done it in an instant if he'd wanted), and that he created Adam and Eve on the sixth day, just like the Bible clearly says.

Last edited:

idav

Being
Premium Member
So, I believe God created everything and did it in six days (he coulda done it in an instant if he'd wanted), and that he created Adam and Eve on the sixth day, just like the Bible clearly says.

Is that in God days or human days? Was a day equal to a 24 hour period before the sun even existed? The confusing part being on day four when the sun is created.

javajo

Is that in God days or human days? Was a day equal to a 24 hour period before the sun even existed? The confusing part being on day four when the sun is created.
Do you really want to know? Since I believe God made Adam and Eve on the sixth day, I will share...

The first thing God said was, Let there be light! We know this light was not the sun as it was not yet made. But, to describe what a day was, it establishes that the light is called day and the darkness is called night and then it repeats over and over the evening and morning were the first day, hence a 24 hour period:

3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night.
And the evening and the morning were the first day.

8...And the evening and the morning were the second day.
13 And the evening and the morning were the third day.

19 And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.
23 And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.
31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good.
And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

2 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.
2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.

As far as the light and the sun. It is interesting the Bible says Jesus is the light and that all things were made by him and by him all things are held together. Anyway, there was light. The sun was not needed until after the plants were made on day three. God made the sun to rule the day so the light was no longer needed. Also, I believe God knew man would have a tendency to worship the sun so he deliberately waited to make it until the fourth day. An early church father, Theophilus wrote,

On the fourth day the luminaries came into existence. Since God has foreknowledge, he understood the nonsense the foolish philosophers who were going to say that the things produced on earth came from the stars, so that they might set God aside. In order therefore that the truth might be demonstrated, plants and seeds came into existence before stars. For what comes into existence later cannot cause what is prior to it. (from "Theophilus, to Autolycus", 2.8, Oxford Early Christian Texts)

I believe God made the sun and us and we should worship God. Many worship the sun, the creation rather than the creator. And as Theophilus shows, some believe we came from the stars or the sun played a part in making life and evolving it so they discard God. I don't believe life came from outer space somewhere on a meteor or that life came from nothing here on earth and the sun warmed the "primordial ooze" and here we are. No, I believe God created us, and loves us and sent his Son to die for us, just like the Bible says.

idav

Being
Premium Member
You partly answered the question by saying that God created the sun on one of the days but what does that mean for the supposed 24 hour period. God could have been going by some different timescale.

javajo

You partly answered the question by saying that God created the sun on one of the days but what does that mean for the supposed 24 hour period. God could have been going by some different timescale.
The plants needed the sun the very next day to stay "very good". Whatever the light source, be it the light God created on the first day or the Sun to rule on the fourth day, the earth still revolves at basically the same speed so the time it takes to turn from being in the light to being in the dark is the same regardless of the light source. It takes 24 hours for it to turn and this is established with the whole, day/light, night/dark, morning/evening deal. Also, God used this as a pattern, in that he had the Israelites rest on the seventh day as he did. Jesus shows us how he made everything and how he controls the elements when he walked on water and calmed the storm and that shows me it was possible for him to make everything just like he said.

camanintx

So you believe God created seed bearing plants on Day 3 and animals on Day 5?

outhouse

Atheistically
The plants needed the sun the very next day to stay "very good". Whatever the light source, be it the light God created on the first day or the Sun to rule on the fourth day, the earth still revolves at basically the same speed so the time it takes to turn from being in the light to being in the dark is the same regardless of the light source. It takes 24 hours for it to turn and this is established with the whole, day/light, night/dark, morning/evening deal. Also, God used this as a pattern, in that he had the Israelites rest on the seventh day as he did. Jesus shows us how he made everything and how he controls the elements when he walked on water and calmed the storm and that shows me it was possible for him to make everything just like he said.

Bud, you do realize the earth hasnt always had a 24 hour day night cycle???

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
There would not be a light source if the sun had not been 'invented' yet. Or are you creating the idea of some kind of deific chiaroscuro?

javajo

So you believe God created seed bearing plants on Day 3 and animals on Day 5?
Correct. Animals like to eat and God gave them the plants to eat as sin had not entered and there was no death. So, when the animals were created supper was ready! :)

Bud, you do realize the earth hasnt always had a 24 hour day night cycle???
It has since I've been here.

From where did the water come ?
~
`mud
Hi, I'm sorry, I've already answered that a few pages back.

There would not be a light source if the sun had not been 'invented' yet. Or are you creating the idea of some kind of deific chiaroscuro?
170px-Peter_Paul_Rubens_068.jpg
220px-Baglione.jpg
Those are examples of chiaroscuro, light-dark contrasting art. But, um, yes, the light was "Deific" as in God said, "Let there be light!" and there was light. Apparently, once he made the Sun to rule the day, this light source was no longer needed.

javajo

yet you are talking about the past

is that not switching goal post?

Day length - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

400 million years ago, years lasted 410 days, meaning that days were 21 hours long. This is because the Earth's speed of rotation was once much faster than it is today.

Billions of years ago, the earth was moving much faster
I was just joking. I am aware the earth's rotation is slowing down. At the rate it is slowing down now, billions of years ago it would have spun so fast it would fling all the animals into space. I just don't think its that old. Its the same with the moon, it is moving away from the earth. At the rate it is moving, billions of years ago, it would have been so close that the tides would flood the entire earth twice a day. I just don't think its that old. I promise if you all quit asking me questions I will leave graciously, like I said, I just saw Adam and Eve as myth and shared that I believe the story is true, I didn't realize I was on "creation vs. evolution", not really my bag.

camanintx

Correct. Animals like to eat and God gave them the plants to eat as sin had not entered and there was no death. So, when the animals were created supper was ready! :)
So why don't we find evidence of seed bearing plants predating animals?

outhouse

Atheistically
Its the same with the moon, it is moving away from the earth. At the rate it is moving, billions of years ago, it would have been so close that the tides would flood the entire earth twice a day.

No that would be false based on misinformation from theist playing scientist and doing poor work.

at the rate its moving close it still has billions of years before it even gets close

I just don't think its that old.

are you a scientist? or just reading from creationist websites promoting misinformation ?

History of the Earth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Earth formed around 4.54 billion years ago by accretion from the solar nebula.

I just saw Adam and Eve as myth and shared that I believe the story is true

this is what I find strange, the jewish community who's writing this belongs to claim it is all mythology and never intended to be a history book or ever read that way.

Here is a serious question

How could Israelites who formed around 1200 BC from the Canaanite culture know anything about the evolution of man, and the 200,000 years homo sapiens have been on this planet?

Instead we see them writing about what they knew passed down from previous cultures, In this case Adam came from the Mesopotamian cultures who called their first man in mythology Adamu. These legends came back straight from Mesopotamia after the Babylonian exile, and people came back to Israel with these legends

Last edited:

camanintx

I was just joking. I am aware the earth's rotation is slowing down. At the rate it is slowing down now, billions of years ago it would have spun so fast it would fling all the animals into space. I just don't think its that old. Its the same with the moon, it is moving away from the earth. At the rate it is moving, billions of years ago, it would have been so close that the tides would flood the entire earth twice a day. I just don't think its that old. I promise if you all quit asking me questions I will leave graciously, like I said, I just saw Adam and Eve as myth and shared that I believe the story is true, I didn't realize I was on "creation vs. evolution", not really my bag.
Your math is faulty. While Earth's rotation was much faster than now and the moon much closer, they were never as fast or as close as you think.

The Geophysical Effects of the Earth's Slowing Rotation!

Specific Arguments - Moon Recede

David M

You need to learn some maths. Even if you use today's values for recession of 3.82cm/year (ignoring the fact that physics says recession rate increases as the moon gets further from the earth) then 4.5 billion years ago the Moon would have been 171,900Km closer to the earth which is just over half its current distance.

I suspect you have been looking at creationist sites, so maybe you should ask why they are lying to you?

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
Nothing solid existed then. Much less a planet, a Garden, and 2 people. Try again?
Those are examples of chiaroscuro, light-dark contrasting art. But, um, yes, the light was "Deific" as in God said, "Let there be light!" and there was light. Apparently, once he made the Sun to rule the day, this light source was no longer needed.
As a lighting professional I know what it is.
But, as to your explanation... lol, ok. There was light with no emitter. Right.

Last edited: