• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adam and Eve: The Problem

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Mr_Spinkles said:
Ceridwen makes some good points. I fail to see how giving humans the ability to murder, rape, and so forth is a good thing. Who would WANT the ability to do evil, anyway? And if God knew what was going to happen, why did he allow Satan to trick them--why didn't he intervene?
It's actually a rather clever, if primitive, way to deal with the POE. The only other one that comes to mind is karma.

Mr_Spinkles said:
The story doesn't make sense, because it's just a story, and no more.
That looks suspiciously like a non sequitur precarious ballanced on a fallacy. ;)

What does "POE" stand for?

Haha, I did say it was only my opinion...sometimes when trying to find logical/historical validation for the Bible stories, people forget/refuse to acknowledge the most plausible explanation--that they are fictitious.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Mr_Spinkles said:
What does "POE" stand for?
The Problem of Evil.

Mr_Spinkles said:
Haha, I did say it was only my opinion...sometimes when trying to find logical/historical validation for the Bible stories, people forget/refuse to acknowledge the most plausible explanation--that they are fictitious.
More often, however, atheist, anxious to denegrate the Bible, fail to recognize it as a complex, and often beautiful, melding of myth, folklore, propaganda, poetry, and societal guidelines that managed to cohere and sustain a people over a remarable period of time and against remarkable odds. To simply dismiss it as fictive is superficial and naive. This is particularly true of the Tanach (Old Testament). While the NT is individualistic, presuming to offer its followers a means to grace and salvation, the Tanach was (and is) the manifesto of a people. Its longevity speaks to far more than the gullibility of the species.

Ceridwen018

Deut.,

I agree with you. The bible is full of wonderful messages and beautiful poetry. I'm also willing to believe that much of what it documents is historical. It has helped as many people as it has harmed over the ages, and like you mentioned, has truly stood the test of time.

All of that, however, is completely irrelevant. Whether or not any of us believe the creation story found in the bible to be fact or fiction is also irrelevant. We're analyzing the logic of the creation story to better determine the nature of the Christian god.

I say the creation story proves god to be unjust and basically immature, due to the reasons I have already stated. What do you think?

Ah yes, the Problem of Evil...I have had a lot of discussion on that in other threads.

Deut. 32.8 said:
More often, however, atheist, anxious to denegrate the Bible, fail to recognize it as a complex, and often beautiful, melding of myth, folklore, propaganda, poetry, and societal guidelines that managed to cohere and sustain a people over a remarable period of time and against remarkable odds. To simply dismiss it as fictive is superficial and naive. This is particularly true of the Tanach (Old Testament). While the NT is individualistic, presuming to offer its followers a means to grace and salvation, the Tanach was (and is) the manifesto of a people. Its longevity speaks to far more than the gullibility of the species.
I completely agree, just because it isn't historically accurate doesn't mean we can't learn anything from it.

So did F. Scott Fitzgerald, but thanks for sharing.
lol

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Ceridwen018 said:
Deut.,

I agree with you. The bible is full of wonderful messages and beautiful poetry. I'm also willing to believe that much of what it documents is historical. It has helped as many people as it has harmed over the ages, and like you mentioned, has truly stood the test of time.

All of that, however, is completely irrelevant.
All of that may be completely irrelevant to you.

Ceridwen018 said:
We're analyzing the logic of the creation story to better determine the nature of the Christian god.
Please don't presume to tell me what "we're" analyzing, nor pretentiously elevate ridicule to the status of 'analysis'.

Ceridwen018 said:
I say the creation story proves god to be unjust and basically immature, due to the reasons I have already stated. What do you think?
I think it remarkably puerile and shallow. How would you compare that creation narrative with Ugaritic, Sumerian, and Egyptian equivalents?

Allan

I think it was the earth that created the problem. The elements in the body are all influenced by gravity and we know how everything has a different dielectric value and the static electric field that exists and how the moon effects people. Perhaps that is where the flaw was.

Although they had the potential to be like God and be immortal their character developed with some of the planetary gravitational input and how certain effects on the elements in their bodies ruled their minds.

In weakness they developed a nature that was in tune with the earth. This produced a barrier to "talking" with God.

Allan

Actually because of the flaw God placed a barrier of removing them from sight because of what now appeared as a rebellious nature.

Rebelliousnes being as witchcraft

Ceridwen018

All of that may be completely irrelevant to you.
I didn't mean that it was irrelevant to me, per se, but that it was irrelevant to this topic. I fail to see how comparing the biblical creation story with other creation stories has anything to do with the points posted in the introduction. Could you explain to me how they fit?

Please don't presume to tell me what "we're" analyzing, nor pretentiously elevate ridicule to the status of 'analysis'.
Lmao. It seems that ridicule and analysis seem to go hand in hand with this sort of thing, but I prefer to lean on the latter and lay off on the former. I didn't mean to speak for you though--ridicule all you want. It'll be my comic relief if nothing else.:D

I think it remarkably puerile and shallow. How would you compare that creation narrative with Ugaritic, Sumerian, and Egyptian equivalents?
If one were to list all of the possible parallels and comparisons they'd be typing all day. Again though, I'm not seeing how it relates to the original topic.