• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adam and Eve

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
We're they created with the knowledge of how to use fire?

If they not, did they learn it later (some time after creation)? How did their offspring learn how to use fire, assuming they did?

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member

If they not, did they learn it later (some time after creation)? How did their offspring learn how to use fire, assuming they did?
The first mentioned use of fire would be Abel's sacrifice. It's not explicitly mentioned but we know that sacrifices were burnt from later descriptions.
Of course we aren't told whether God gave them the ability to make fire or they learned it by observation.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
For there to be fire, that would mean trees would have had to die. And according to the story, death did not enter into reality until after they sinned. So, no, they would not have made fires. They would also not have been able to eat anything either, as eating plants would be killing living things, and death was unknown before the Fall. So we should assume they lived on air, and were always just the right temperature where fire was unnecessary.

(Oh the problems of literalism! :) )

We're not supposed to ask deeper questions of the story, such as where did Cain's wife come from, and was she his sister since there were only Adam and Eve as the original parents? (Again, the woes of literalism). I don't believe the stories were intended to be a lesson in earth history.

Suave

Simulated character

Mitochondria Eve and Y-Chromosomal Adam lived some few hundred thousand years ago.

Reference:
"By definition, it is not necessary that the Y-MRCA and the mt-MRCA should have lived at the same time.[ While estimates as of 2014 suggested the possibility that the two individuals may well have been roughly contemporaneous, the discovery of archaic Y-haplogroup has pushed back the estimated age of the Y-MRCA beyond the most likely age of the mt-MRCA. As of 2015, estimates of the age of the Y-MRCA range around 200,000 to 300,000 years ago, roughly consistent with the emergence of anatomically modern humans.

Karmin; et al. (2015). "A recent bottleneck of Y chromosome diversity coincides with a global change in culture". Genome Research. 25 (4): 459–66. doi:10.1101/gr.186684.114. PMC 4381518. PMID 25770088. "we date the Y-chromosomal most recent common ancestor (MRCA) in Africa at 254 (95% CI 192–307) kya and detect a cluster of major non-African founder haplogroups in a narrow time interval at 47–52 kya, consistent with a rapid initial colonization model of Eurasia and Oceania after the out-of-Africa bottleneck. In contrast to demographic reconstructions based on mtDNA, we infer a second strong bottleneck in Y-chromosome lineages dating to the last 10 ky. We hypothesize that this bottleneck is caused by cultural changes affecting variance of reproductive success among males."

Cann RL (August 2013). "Genetics. Y weigh in again on modern humans". Science. 341 (6145): 465–467. Bibcode:2013Sci...341..465C. doi:10.1126/science.1242899. PMID 23908212. S2CID 206550892.

Ash from wood burnt as controlled use of fire by a being of a homo genus species has been dated to have occurred roughly 1 million years ago.

Reference:
Luke, Kim. "Evidence That Human Ancestors Used Fire One Million Years Ago". Retrieved 27 October 2013. An international team led by the University of Toronto and Hebrew University has identified the earliest known evidence of the use of fire by human ancestors. Microscopic traces of wood ash, alongside animal bones and stone tools, were found in a layer dated to one million years ago

Miller, Kenneth (May 2013). "Archaeologists Find Earliest Evidence of Humans Cooking With Fire". Discover.

In conclusion, Mitochondrial Eve and Y Chromosomal Adam likely lived some few dozen thousands of generations following the earliest use of fire by a being of a homo genus species.

descarga_(6).jpg

Last edited:

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
They weren't actual people just figures in a narrative so no. Early humans probably saw fires and (delicious) dead animals in those fires and did the human thing of learning, to make fires for food, by trial and error. Now we have barbecues. We're technically an awesome species. Props out to our most distant ancestors, thank you!

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I think the cherubim with those flaming swords taught them since God was such a total square.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

In that their son, Abel, sacrificed a lamb, I would assume they knew about fire. Maybe self-taught?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Dang, I missed that part! Would you please share the verse that mentions a burnt offering?
Gen 4:4 - it doesn't say specifically that he used fire but the consistent way of offering "the fat portion" is with fire in the TaNaKh. (I leave room for me being wrong.

4 And Abel brought of the firstborn of his flock and of the fat portions. And the Lord had respect and regard for Abel and for his offering,

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Seriously?

I believe that most Talmudic scholars conclude that most folks who learn something do so after creation.

I wouldn't ask if I wasn't partially serious.

Did Adam and Eve know how to use fire? Did they learn it themselves, or did God instruct them in it's usage.

I ask, because in many mythologies fire is stolen from the Gods, and humans weren't able to use it at first.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

What makes you think that Adam and Eve were historical people? If the story were anywhere else but the Bible, you would immediately recogtnize it as a creation myth.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
What makes you think that Adam and Eve were historical people? If the story were anywhere else but the Bible, you would immediately recogtnize it as a creation myth.

Obviously, but there are people who take it literally, so I figured I'd ask the hard questions.

You could also look at post #14 where I reference mythology and the appearance of fire.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Obviously, but there are people who take it literally, so I figured I'd ask the hard questions.

You could also look at post #14 where I reference mythology and the appearance of fire.
As someone who has started fire by rubbing sticks together, I can tell you that for people who lived several hundred years, it would be surprising if they didn't discover it. Bash a couple of the right rocks together and get a spark. Hmmm, what happens if I put the spark on something that extends it's life? Look if I blow on it, it gets bigger... and and so on. Surely they spent some time contemplating on the physical world and how stuff works. Fire is just the natural result of having a intellect and playing with materials.