• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adopting an Old Norse name

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
That's a good idea, something I've been thinking about. It's not uncommon as I've been learning about names, to have an element repeated in the first and last names. So, Thorbjorn Thorsson is not unreasonable or unheard of. In fact, it's pretty common. I like the ring of it too. :) It translates as "Thor's bear Thor's son" (or "thunder bear thunder's son").
I might be wrong, but I think Thor is "Thunderer" rather than 'Thunder'.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I might be wrong, but I think Thor is "Thunderer" rather than 'Thunder'.

Possibly... I've seen it both ways. I have a prayer that has a line asking for "... one small percentage of the strength of the right arm of the Thunderer". The site I got the name Thorbjorn from translated it as "thunder bear". Plus keep in mind that Old Norse, and Icelandic are more inflected than modern English, so we can get all kinds of funky translations and meanings. For example,
Geek alert!

If someone wanted to take the surname of "Freyja's son" or "Freyja's daughter", it declines as "Freyjuson" or "Freyjudottir".. "Freyasson" means "I don’t know Norse". Go figure. :confused: So at this point I should go around saying "freyjasson! freyjasson!". :D