• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Against AK4: Rev. 14:11 and Eternity

Oberon

Yes they have a construction for meaning everlasting or eternal it goes something like this--

Wait a minute. You don't read greek. How could you possibly know what a typical greek construction for "eternity" would look like?

Eternity has no beginning or ending. Eternity is a constant state of just IS---meaning you are there and nothing ever happens

This simply isn't accurate. Eternity has no beginning or end, but that doesn't mean nothing happens. "Eternity" doesn't mean "changeless" it means "forever."

Let me guess,if translation and interpreting are the same to you

They aren't. I didn't say they were. I said that translation always involved interpretation, because constructions and morphemes have different semantic ranges in every language.

Should I translate the french rivière as "river"? And if so, how should I translate fleuve? Both can mean river, but neither do exactly. So I have to choose: should I say "small river" for rivière and "large river" for fleuve? Or should I say something else?

But what your are trying to do is two things:
  • make a phrase mean something by changing the words
  • Change the meaning of the words into something completely opposite of what they meant in the first place or even conveyed.
This simply isn't accurate. You want there to be a one-to-one correspondance between the greek aion and the english "eon." There isn't. The greek aion has a wider semantic range, because greek is an inflected language. Each noun appears in a number of cases, and the semantic role changes the meaning. This is even more true in a prepositional phrase like the one in question, where a preposition combines with a noun in a particular case for a construction with a particular meaning.

Think of it like this. The work "have" in english by itself means "to possess." But when you say "I have climbed that tree" it means something COMPLETELY different. It is used as an aux. to form a particular tense.

Likewise, aion in the singular nominative means one thing, but it means something very different in the accusative plural after the preposition eis.

Aions deal with time, eternity doesnt

Eternity does deal with time. Time without limits.