• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Al-Qaida's Intent in 9/11 - Role of Islam

elcazador

I have read up about Al-Qaida, and I have observed numerous media reports on 9/11. What I still do not understand is the reasoning behind the attack. I know Al-Qaida is an extremist Islamic group, and I have heard that it was an attack on western morals, as well as that Al-Qaida was as paranoid as to suspect a Christian-Jewish alliance which conspired against the religion in its entirety. But I do not understand their relation to Jihad, and I perhaps have a limited understanding of the concept. What exactly motivated Al-Qaida to do this, and how did they in any way use Islam to justify it?

elcazador

Oh lord.. I didn't figure I'd regret not stating explicitly that I don't want truther talk here, but here I am the first reply later. I have heard every conspiracy theory in the book, I would much, much, much, much ad infinitum rather like to hear an Islamic perspective of the al-Qaida role, unless you state clear evidence that there is not. I'd rather an attempt to keep Washington out of this.

Last edited:

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Oh lord.. I didn't figure I'd regret not stating explicitly that I don't want truther talk here, but here I am the first reply later. I have heard every conspiracy theory in the book, I would much, much, much, much ad infinitum rather like to hear an Islamic perspective of the al-Qaida role, unless you state clear evidence that there is not. I'd rather an attempt to keep Washington out of this.

everything about Al Qaida comes from the US and western media who haave only been speaking false about islam deliberately, do you think you would speak highly and justly about your enemie?

all i know is alqaeda is killing invaders, thats what wars are about, killing invaders and protecting your home and land. good on them.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I have read up about Al-Qaida, and I have observed numerous media reports on 9/11. What I still do not understand is the reasoning behind the attack.

Seems to me that it probably was that it would push GWB into foolish military and diplomatic decisions, thereby creating significant economic, social and military hardship for the USA all the while also gaining a measure of motivation and sympathy for Muslim extremism.

And it worked like a charm.

I know Al-Qaida is an extremist Islamic group, and I have heard that it was an attack on western morals, as well as that Al-Qaida was as paranoid as to suspect a Christian-Jewish alliance which conspired against the religion in its entirety. But I do not understand their relation to Jihad, and I perhaps have a limited understanding of the concept. What exactly motivated Al-Qaida to do this, and how did they in any way use Islam to justify it?

Many Muslims believe, with varying degrees of seriousness and conviction, that it takes a Muslim society to keep away what they perceive as a serious, dangerous moral decadence due to the adherence to "western" values that aren't sufficiently attached to the will of God. Jihad, far as I can tell, is essentially the firm determination not to submit to that decadence. Just how exactly to go about it varies a lot, of course...

Al-Qaida is simply more motivated and organized to act violently on that than most Muslims.

ellenjanuary

That's funny, seeing as how videos like these indicate it ain't just about Islam. I'm not a truther, I am an intelligent, educated being. I'll tell it to you straight. I remember watching the news that day; my first thought - it must be some Hollywood thing, my second thought - Climb Mt. Tanaka. And I have yet to find reason to doubt my second thought from that day, despite all the research I have done on both sides of the issue.

Since I'm not Muslim, I cannot give you the Islamic perspective. Yet if you disregard all of the "truther" views on the subject, you are still left with the conundrum that it does not make any sense. Sympathy flowed to America from around the world. Terrorists leaders may be whack, but they ain't stupid; this attack was too big, too distant, too over the top.

Rhizomatic

Vaguely (Post)Postmodern
If you want to know why Osama attacked us, you might start by looking at the list of reasons he gave for going to war with us. He lists three reasons: support of Israel, military action against Iraq, and military occupation of the Muslim holy land.

elcazador

everything about Al Qaida comes from the US and western media who haave only been speaking false about islam deliberately, do you think you would speak highly and justly about your enemie?

all i know is alqaeda is killing invaders, thats what wars are about, killing invaders and protecting your home and land. good on them.

those are the tactics of the conservative yanquis, it only worked at the start because everybody was so angry. only the ignorant still denounce the religion moronically with lies.

if it's an inside job though, why didn't bin laden and his most loyal help fight the invaders?

elcazador

If you want to know why Osama attacked us, you might start by looking at the list of reasons he gave for going to war with us. He lists three reasons: support of Israel, military action against Iraq, and military occupation of the Muslim holy land.
Wow, I was completely overlooking the significance of the Gulf War. I do not understand his references to us as "pagans" though.. either he is using the term differently, or he must be deluded to think polytheism is prevalent in the West.

ellenjanuary

those are the tactics of the conservative yanquis, it only worked at the start because everybody was so angry. only the ignorant still denounce the religion moronically with lies.
But that isn't entirely true. Most moderate, mainstream Americans fall into the category of "I don't wanna think about it;" for the most part, they don't. They may seem to be "tolerant and understanding," but there is a seed of mistrust germinated by 9/11. Given a bit of economic hardship and a media push of "Islamic shenanigans," and this place would become virulently anti-Muslim.
if it's an inside job though, why didn't bin laden and his most loyal help fight the invaders?
Because he is a billionaire. One does not become a billionaire if one's first loyalty is not to money. Whatever else he may be doing, rest assured his first concern is protecting his assets. It is easy to see his use of justification from this standpoint.

elcazador

That's funny, seeing as how videos like these indicate it ain't just about Islam. I'm not a truther, I am an intelligent, educated being. I'll tell it to you straight. I remember watching the news that day; my first thought - it must be some Hollywood thing, my second thought - Climb Mt. Tanaka. And I have yet to find reason to doubt my second thought from that day, despite all the research I have done on both sides of the issue.

Since I'm not Muslim, I cannot give you the Islamic perspective. Yet if you disregard all of the "truther" views on the subject, you are still left with the conundrum that it does not make any sense. Sympathy flowed to America from around the world. Terrorists leaders may be whack, but they ain't stupid; this attack was too big, too distant, too over the top.

I vehemently disagree, do you really think the bureaucrats in Washington were this cunning? They must have had this up their sleeves for 50 years for them to have done this so efficiently. And are you not aware of the insanity of al-Qaida, Bin Laden's rambling of rampant anti-Semitism? Although I still do not fully understand it, as I know it was more complicated than simply a matter of sanity, la cia or whomever you believe to be the culprits are either too foolish to pull it off or too wrapped in red tape.

elcazador

But that isn't entirely true. Most moderate, mainstream Americans fall into the category of "I don't wanna think about it;" for the most part, they don't. They may seem to be "tolerant and understanding," but there is a seed of mistrust germinated by 9/11. Given a bit of economic hardship and a media push of "Islamic shenanigans," and this place would become virulently anti-Muslim.

Because he is a billionaire. One does not become a billionaire if one's first loyalty is not to money. Whatever else he may be doing, rest assured his first concern is protecting his assets. It is easy to see his use of justification from this standpoint.

Maybe if the media consisted of Fox News. And I don't think Bin Laden would exemplify such cowardice for capitalism.

elcazador

Seems to me that it probably was that it would push GWB into foolish military and diplomatic decisions, thereby creating significant economic, social and military hardship for the USA all the while also gaining a measure of motivation and sympathy for Muslim extremism.

And it worked like a charm.

Many Muslims believe, with varying degrees of seriousness and conviction, that it takes a Muslim society to keep away what they perceive as a serious, dangerous moral decadence due to the adherence to "western" values that aren't sufficiently attached to the will of God. Jihad, far as I can tell, is essentially the firm determination not to submit to that decadence. Just how exactly to go about it varies a lot, of course...

Al-Qaida is simply more motivated and organized to act violently on that than most Muslims.

They were trying to get sympathy by attacking the most influential nation in the world? Nobody thinks like that.. and I don't think they could anticipate the moronic antics of Bush.

That's about what I could gather from jihad as well, but there is also talk of much misinterpretation.

ellenjanuary

I vehemently disagree, do you really think the bureaucrats in Washington were this cunning? They must have had this up their sleeves for 50 years for them to have done this so efficiently. And are you not aware of the insanity of al-Qaida, Bin Laden's rambling of rampant anti-Semitism? Although I still do not fully understand it, as I know it was more complicated than simply a matter of sanity, la cia or whomever you believe to be the culprits are either too foolish to pull it off or too wrapped in red tape.

No. Spooks. I don't know if you have read spy novels or biographies of CIA types; but it ain't nothing that hasn't been done before, except perhaps in scale. It seems to me that it went down... like in Havana, smoky room, totally black bag. Spooks tell bin Laden, they're gonna point the finger at him, so go hide. I don't think it is simple, but if you read about Project for the New American Century - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia; you'll find reference to a document published in 2000 - including such gems as:

"Further, the process of transformation, even if it brings revolutionary change, is likely to be a long one, absent some catastrophic and catalyzing event––like a new Pearl Harbor"

This ain't "truther bs." This is the mindset of people who have run the most powerful country the world has ever seen, and have gotten drunk with that power.

Last edited:

ellenjanuary

Maybe if the media consisted of Fox News. And I don't think Bin Laden would exemplify such cowardice for capitalism.

What cowardice? What capitalism? He can see himself as super-jihadist, and that kind of money, creates its own reality. I'm sure he has plenty of followers who may be Muslim first and foremost, who see him as a great enabler; and having those types of people around will allow him to persist in any delusion he desires.

I don't know "fundamentalist, Islamic radical" like I know things like economics, marketing, and agenda. And I am most certain, for a billionaire, it's all about the money, having the money, controlling the money; and making sure, above all else, the money doesn't go away.

elcazador

No. Spooks. I don't know if you have read spy novels or biographies of CIA types; but it ain't nothing that hasn't been done before, except perhaps in scale. It seems to me that it went down... like in Havana, smoky room, totally black bag.
No, actually the quite opposite. They got nowhere near Havana because the oblivious fools have absolutely no capability to plan such an operation. They ****ed up so bad that the Bay of Pigs invasion became the ultimate example of groupthink. That unbelievably idiotic fumble propelled the Cold War into its climax of tension, where the world was a split second away from destruction.

I do agree that that the addition of"-like a new Pearl Harbor" is incredibly sketchy. But I would suspect an alteration by anti-Republican left-wing extremists before I would the entire senate to mercilessly agree to slaughter their own country men and not tell a soul about it.

Last edited:

elcazador

What cowardice? I don't know "fundamentalist, Islamic radical" like I know things like economics, marketing, and agenda. And I am most certain, for a billionaire, it's all about the money, having the money, controlling the money; and making sure, above all else, the money doesn't go away.

Well then, there are a couple things outside of your macroeconomics model that you have to consider. People have beliefs and devotions that have no relation to money.

Wombat

I have read up about Al-Qaida, and I have observed numerous media reports on 9/11. What I still do not understand is the reasoning behind the attack. I know Al-Qaida is an extremist Islamic group, and I have heard that it was an attack on western morals, as well as that Al-Qaida was as paranoid as to suspect a Christian-Jewish alliance which conspired against the religion in its entirety. But I do not understand their relation to Jihad, and I perhaps have a limited understanding of the concept. What exactly motivated Al-Qaida to do this, and how did they in any way use Islam to justify it?

Al-Qaida claimed motivation for the attacks- US support of Israel in persecuting Palestinians and US troops on sacred Saudi soil.

Al-Qaida reasoning behind the attack...
Asymmetric Warfare. A war already exists, they do not believe they can fight it in a conventional manner with conventional means.
Motivating theory-The Muslim world would rise up with them when they saw the US take a king hit.