• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alcohol Kills 3 Million Annually: World Health Organization

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm patently unsurprised. It's legal in most places in the world, and it is commonly used and abused. I had to pull open the actual report to pull these data, but I think it's interesting:

In 2012, 5.9% of global deaths were attributed to alcohol. Within that percentage, 33.4% are from cardiovascular diseases and diabetes, followed by unintentional injuries at 17.0% and gastrointestinal diseases at 16.2%.

They also talk about the burden of disease and injury as attributed to alcohol (aka, non-fatal problems). In 2012, 5.1% of the global burden of disease and injury came from this source, with 24.6% of this being from neuropsychiatric disorders, 20.4% from unintentional injuries, and 15.5% cardiovascular diseases and diabetes.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Tobacco kills nearly 6 million people each year. More than five million of those deaths are the result of direct tobacco use while more than 600 000 are the result of non-smokers being exposed to second-hand smoke. Unless urgent action is taken, the annual death toll could rise to more than eight million by 2030. WHO

WHO | Tobacco

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
I agree, if you really do enjoy it why not, lets face it, if we stop we might end up being hit by a car or truck lol.:eek:

I know, right? You're going to die, anyway. If you get sick or whatever from smoking, it doesn't happen until you're old, anyway. I'm not a chain smoker as it is and I don't overdo the drinking. Personally, I think a lot of it is attitude towards life. Many of the people who have lived the longest have been smokers, drinkers and ate red meat. They seemed to enjoy their life. Stress will kill you faster than any of that stuff. You could drop dead of a heart attack or a brain aneurysm at any time. Life is random like that. Lol. So it's best not to worry. :)

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I know, right? You're going to die, anyway. If you get sick or whatever from smoking, it doesn't happen until you're old, anyway. I'm not a chain smoker as it is and I don't overdo the drinking. Personally, I think a lot of it is attitude towards life. Many of the people who have lived the longest have been smokers, drinkers and ate red meat. They seemed to enjoy their life. Stress will kill you faster than any of that stuff. You could drop dead of a heart attack or a brain aneurysm at any time. Life is random like that. Lol. So it's best not to worry. :)

I like that and it makes a lot of sense, I have mental illness and my few drinks does help me a lot, it sort of cuts the edge of, with of course my medication as I think you realize also ?.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
I like that and it makes a lot of sense, I have mental illness and my few drinks does help me a lot, it sort of cuts the edge of, with of course my medication as I think you realize also ?.

I drink because I like alcohol and getting smashed. It usually makes me happy. Lmao.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I drink because I like alcohol and getting smashed. It usually makes me happy. Lmao.

Yep, the same with me, I just love it, but I also can say no to it, so in that I'm glad that I'm not controlled by it. Sometimes I feel like going to the mental ward, so I let myself fall to pieces, and drinking can do that for me.....I love the mental ward, especially the pudding lol.:)

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Yep, the same with me, I just love it, but I also can say no to it, so in that I'm glad that I'm not controlled by it. Sometimes I feel like going to the mental ward, so I let myself fall to pieces, and drinking can do that for me.....I love the mental ward, especially the pudding lol.:)

I can control myself, too. Sometimes I just don't feel like drinking, and I don't always drink all the beer when I have it. I get drunk easily so I don't have to.

I've never been to the mental ward.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I can control myself, too. Sometimes I just don't feel like drinking, and I don't always drink all the beer when I have it. I get drunk easily so I don't have to.

I've never been to the mental ward.

I'm sort of lucky, I make my own beer and spirits....no true its great in the mental ward, well for me it is lol. :)

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Its prob the fact they did away with the outside smoking area for one, but even when they had it, they showed zero concerns for individuality.
Example, I couldnt sleep and needed someone to talk to, so I went out to the main room after hours, to rock in the rocking chair, and they could have cared less and said I hadda go back to my room.

didnt even care that I was balling my eyes out.

Wow. I'm sorry to hear that. That's not right.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Its prob the fact they did away with the outside smoking area for one, but even when they had it, they showed zero concerns for individuality.
Example, I couldnt sleep and needed someone to talk to, so I went out to the main room after hours, to rock in the rocking chair, and they could have cared less and said I hadda go back to my room.

didnt even care that I was balling my eyes out.

No, I haven't experienced that here, not saying it doesn't happen.....but that's terrible for you, you just don't need that crap when mental illness takes over, especially when in psychosis.:(

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
wanna hear something crazy insane?
The only thing keeping me going is my stupid cat.
He would die without me, so there we have it.

Don't feel bad. Pets are better companions than humans at times. Some people don't have anyone - human or otherwise. My pets keep me company and show me more love than most humans do.