• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alice in Wonderland

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
I finally watched it. ^_^ We saw it tonight. Yes, Sunday night... because we like to do things on the dumbest night possible. It was pretty good, I thought. I wouldn't recommend it if you don't like Alice in Wonderland though. I mean to say, don't see it just because you like Tim Burton, or it might really bore you. :danana: I'm in love with Johnny Depp. You might still like it if you see it just because he's in it. He's great. :D

Mr Cheese

I saw it in 3d. I didn't like the film.

I read horrible reviews....

There are few wonders in Tim Burton's loose adaptation.

I did wonder whether Burton has exhausted his bag of tricks. Preening Johnny Depp in a fright wig? Lady-love Helena Bonham Carter in supporting role? Colorful but off-kilter sets? Danny Elfman score? Check, check, check, check.

I could have forgiven it all if this film hadn't been so boring. Yet despite appending bookends about Victorian garden parties and international commerce, and making Alice (Mia Wasikowska) a full-grown woman on a return visit to the "wonderland" of her youthful dreams, a coherent, compelling storyline never emerges.
Alice encounters all of the requisite creatures from Carroll's books (Alice, Through the Looking Glass), such as the Cheshire Cat, the Mad Hatter (Depp), the Red Queen (Carter), Tweedledum and Tweedledee, and the White Rabbit. But now there are chase scenes, magic swords, inter-kingdom warfare, a dragon(!) to be vanquished, and some holiday that makes the Mad Hatter channel Michael Jackson. It's alternately dull and frantic, with the pretty but vapid Wasikowska and the madcap Depp quickly wearing out their welcomes.

The bright spot in the film is Carter, whom Burton depicts as a gigantic Elizabeth I-type head atop a much smaller body. Carter delivers her lines with a hearty, demented brio that isn't as self-consciously showy as Depp's endlessly morphing accents and facial tics. I also adored all the heart motifs that the production designer worked into the queen's stylings.

But viewers searching for the more elusive heart -- the sad-sweet centers that mark Burton's better films -- will be disappointed. There's just a lot of meaningless, color-saturated clutter and clatter down this rabbit hole. In 3-D at select theaters. (Al Hoff) [2 out of 4 stars]

A

angellous_evangellous

I hate, hate, hate Alice in Wonderland.

May it burn under the wrath of a thousand suns.

I Am

I saw it. It was terrible, as is most Hollywood cinema. The acting, the dialogue, everything was done in a really mundane fashion that didn't really express what Carroll had envisioned. It was almost as bad as Avatar.