• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I a Unitarian Universalist?

Bret2140

I believe that all of the worlds religions are just fragments of the truth, and they need each other for you to understand the whole story of whats going on on earth.

I believe that Jesus came to clear our karmic debt and take the throne from satan as ruler of the world.

Also I believe in reicarnation because of what Job said "naked I came from my mothers womb and naked i will return there"

applewuud

Bret2140, you might be a little disappointed in the humanistic/scientific slant of most UUs, especially in the South, in my experience. Yes, they'd accept you, but from your posts it seems like you're looking for an environment that's really interested in concepts like satan, scripture, reincarnation, and ritual. Though those concepts may be used to illustrate deep truths in some cases, most UUs I've met don't talk about them much and don't take them literally. Most UU preaching is focused very much on the world we're in now. It depends on the congregation; some rarely quote from the Bible if at all, others do every week.

As for Jesus having paid the karmic debt, that's what Universalism is based on; but while we acknowledge the presence of evil in the world, most UUs don't believe that "satan is the ruler of the world" or that "satan" is a real entity.

Certainly, the idea that all religions are fragments of the truth and all have valid things to learn from would be one of the beliefs you'd share with most in a UU congregation...but you would likely run into some atheist UUs who think that most religions are outdated and misleading, as well.

I don't want to discourage you, just prepare you lest you be turned off by an unrealistic idea of who many Unitarian-Universalists are, when you're in coffee hour after your first visit to a service. You may well find a core of like-minded people there who would love to have you join them, but you'll have to seek them out. On the other hand, if you want to hear a non-canonical gospel reading, you're more likely to find it in a UU church than anywhere else outside of academia.