• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I doing this or is something else doing this?

Salty Booger

Royal Crown Cola (RC)
So much of life appears to care for itself without my intervention. As an example, my eyes see, my ears hear, my nose smells, my heart beats, etc. We can extend this outward towards the larger world. It functions without need of my assistance. I'm certain there is a philosophy built around the above, and I'm hoping someone knows its name. :)

celest

Cause and Effect may interest you Salty,

When this exists, that exists, when this arises, that arises, when this is not, that is not, when this ceases, that ceases.

PureX

Veteran Member
So much of life appears to care for itself without my intervention. As an example, my eyes see, my ears hear, my nose smells, my heart beats, etc. We can extend this outward towards the larger world. It functions without need of my assistance. I'm certain there is a philosophy built around the above, and I'm hoping someone knows its name. :)
Taoism is it's name.

Check out the Tao Te Ching (way of being) on line at http://thetaoteching.com/.

"Every being in the universe
is an expression of the Tao.
It springs into existence,
unconscious, perfect, free,
takes on a physical body,
lets circumstances complete it.
That is why every being
spontaneously honors the Tao.

The Tao gives birth to all beings,
nourishes them, maintains them,
cares for them, comforts them, protects them,
takes them back to itself,
creating without possessing,
acting without expecting,
guiding without interfering.
That is why love of the Tao
is in the very nature of things."​

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Reality? Existence would carry on regardless if we were not here to observe it, and some other species might get to take our place (on Earth) and do likewise eventually. Just as some alien species might be doing so now or in the future (or has done in the past). I blame the genes for all this. :oops:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Some call it god-the energy (or so have you) that keeps things moving without our needing to. I'd personally say energy but it sounds like a cold word to use when someone appreciates the way these things work and sees reason to be alive by taking care of these things. The "extend to a larger world" can be seen as being a part of something greater. Which is attributed to god as well. That's probably why some people say god is eternal.

Scientifically? I think it's energy.

PureX

Veteran Member
I read a book about Taoism, seemed more of an owner's manual for rulers. Am I mistaken?
Very much the opposite. But Tao philosophy is very old, and underpins many variations of eastern culture and religion. So if you're looking to avoid paradox and contradiction, it' not going to resonate for you.

The term "Tao" basically means "way". As in the way existence, exists. Or more poetically; the flow of being. The philosophical premise is the we humans are a kind of hybrid between the physical and the metaphysical realms of being. The physical being a material reflection of the metaphysical. We humans are aware of both realms, but are not sufficiently capable of mastering, either. So we are caught in a predicament of not knowing what to do, or how to be.

The solution to this predicament, according to Taoist philosophy, is to align ourselves with the "flow of being": with the way existence, exists. As in doing this, we will automatically fulfill our purpose and place within the whole.

To achieve this alignment, we need to humble ourselves, and stop trying to gain control through knowledge and action. And instead, gain authenticity through humility and spontinaity.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

In my view, it is you, but a part of you you are not consciously aware of. From what I've read, you are only aware of about 5%of what is going on in your head.

I tend to see consciousness like the governor on an engine. While you can limit the speed a bit, the real power comes from the rest of the engine.
Our consciousness is our (the self's) entire reality. So it feels like we have complete control whereas the reality is the conscious self is only a very tiny part of the whole being.

I suspect you would get along fine without self-awareness however you'd be cause and effect with no introspection.

I think I noticed this mostly in sports or playing a musical instrument. You let your subconscious mind take over and your self-consciousness is just along for the ride. The conscious self is not making decisions, not controlling the body, basically not needed. The other 95% of the brain/central nervous system is running things.

MNoBody

thank-my-legs-for-supporting-me.png