• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amazon workers condemn unsafe, grueling conditions at warehouse

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Given the difficulty of finding good workers, to fire people
"for anything" makes no sense. Perhaps the complainers
aren't giving us an accurate picture.
Note: Amazon still sounds like an awful company to work for.

I think the difficulty is in finding cheap workers. But it's a case of "you get what you pay for."

Amazon opened up a large warehouse with 1500 job openings last year. They did get a lot of applicants, as I recall. They're able to get workers.

You may be right in that the complainers aren't giving an accurate picture. But if someone is written up or reprimanded for not making her required quota due to a mishap which wasn't the worker's fault, then that strikes me as an unreasonable standard set by an unreasonable employer. This would add credence to the suggestion that they fire people "for anything."

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I wonder, in this booming economy with help wanted signs everywhere,
why work where it is worse than prison?

I'm not really sure myself, although there are worse jobs out there where working at an Amazon warehouse would be a step up.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It's based upon industrial, commercial, & construction experience.
So I speculate that with Amazon in the news daily with worker
complaints, it's unlikely that this would escape OSHA notice.
Or do you claim a conspiracy?
(He does donate $ to Democrat politicians.)

It is not their way to announce a visit.
Perhaps your partner's employer is part of the conspiracy?

Well, since OSHA is part of the Department of Labor, it's unlikely that anyone in the Trump Administration would conspire with Bezos, given that they don't seem to like each other very much.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Forget Schmazos. Think about your own contributions to shamazon's business. Are you still a customer? If so, why?

I am not a customer. It's been many years since I subscribed to Amazon Prime. And to be perfectly frank, I'm still a bit miffed that the (Amazon owned) IMDb cancelled their message boards back in 2017. Granted, it was quite the troll fest - especially around election time, but it was fun.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Amazon has replaced Google as the best place to work in the US

Of the 25,009 current and former employees who have submitted Amazon reviews on Glassdoor, 74% said that they would recommend the company to a friend.

Amazon also rates favorably on Glassdoor in other categories including CEO approval, culture and values, work-life balance, benefits, and career opportunities.
Amazon will raise its minimum wage to $15 an hour —here's what it's really like to work there, according to employees

18 Reasons Why Amazon is the Best Place to Work - WiseStep

Not that I care about defending Amazon but there are usually at least two sides to any story.

I imagine that's likely true with any employer. The second link above seemed to give a more balanced picture, making note of both the good and the bad.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think the difficulty is in finding cheap workers. But it's a case of "you get what you pay for."
That's not what I hear from people in business, eg, small construction
company owner, recruiter for multi-billion dollar equity firm.
Amazon opened up a large warehouse with 1500 job openings last year. They did get a lot of applicants, as I recall. They're able to get workers.

You may be right in that the complainers aren't giving an accurate picture. But if someone is written up or reprimanded for not making her required quota due to a mishap which wasn't the worker's fault, then that strikes me as an unreasonable standard set by an unreasonable employer. This would add credence to the suggestion that they fire people "for anything."
Are hearing a full story though?
If conditions are so bad, why do workers flock there in a tight labor market?
I'm skeptical that it's so bad.

I've had employees complain about unfair treatment from me.
Know what? They were the problem. Other employees would
tell me that I was too accommodating of people's faults. So if
one heard only their side, I'd be terrible to work for.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I am kind of spoiled, never had to work a low level job
Neither have I.
But I've been.....
Apple picker
Dog census taker
Groundskeeping laborer
Production machinist
Furniture mover
Lumber yard laborer
Construction site cleaner
Building security
Gym equipment & towel dispenser
Church sexton
Property manager
Real estate broker
Real estate developer & investor
Mechanical engineer

Audie

Veteran Member
Neither have I.
But I've been.....
Apple picker
Dog census taker
Groundskeeping laborer
Production machinist
Furniture mover
Lumber yard laborer
Construction site cleaner
Building security
Gym equipment & towel dispenser
Church sexton
Property manager
Real estate broker
Real estate developer & investor
Mechanical engineer

I am very impressed.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I imagine that's likely true with any employer. The second link above seemed to give a more balanced picture, making note of both the good and the bad.

I use to complain I lot about my employer but one time, I suppose after my son got tired of hearing my complaint said, "Dad, you keep complaining about your work but there must be something about it that keeps you there".

I realized that I had been focusing on the negative and often overlooking the positive.

I read that is was pretty bad at Amazon, but they've realized they do need to keep their employees happy and took steps to make changes.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
That's not what I hear from people in business, eg, small construction
company owner, recruiter for multi-billion dollar equity firm.

Well, there are still workers out there, obviously. If there are employers who wish to hire them, they have to compete for a smaller supply of available workers.

Are hearing a full story though?
If conditions are so bad, why do workers flock there in a tight labor market?
I'm skeptical that it's so bad.

I think some companies tend to be a bit more proactive when it comes to recruiting employees. When Amazon was building their warehouse (aka "fulfillment center"), they were already putting out the word and accepting applications. For people working at places like Walmart or McDonald's or a call center, a new Amazon center might seem like something new where maybe the grass might be greener.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Some years ago I read, I believe a BBC article, about Amazon warehouses in Europe getting in trouble for violating labor laws. From what I read, it would be legal here, but rather harsh.
But, without a doubt the complainers may not be entirely accurate. I too especially want to see the evidence of the safety concerns, because too many complaints and Uncle Sam typically looks into it. And, of course, warehouses by their very nature do present great potential for accidents and safety concerns.

Shadow Wolf

I am kind of spoiled, never had to work a low level job
I've had to work them (and work myself to a table in the operating room), but my sister and I are of the first generation in my moms family (and I the very first in my dads) to have something better. And it does spoil one fast, with perks and privileges and a host of bonuses you don't get with those level jobs (like getting to wear nice clothes and look good and clean, guilt free calling in sick, sick/vacation pay).
What to me is a "regular job," I can't do them anymore. Partly because many of them I just physically cannot anymore with my knees, but also partly because, ugh, it means having to dress like a dweeb, or dress ok, but either way get very dirty, bound to a hard schedule, and sweating and working hard for a bunch of unappreciative wankers. Can't do it anymore. Nope. Not for me.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I wonder, in this booming economy with help wanted signs everywhere,
why work where it is worse than prison?
Amazon pays above the rates of other businesses. They hire a lot of workers and quite a few burn out as you can see in the article. Considering that it takes time for benefits to kick in usually this may be more economic than hiring people for less and lowering the work load.

Audie

Veteran Member
I've had to work them (and work myself to a table in the operating room), but my sister and I are of the first generation in my moms family (and I the very first in my dads) to have something better. And it does spoil one fast, with perks and privileges and a host of bonuses you don't get with those level jobs (like getting to wear nice clothes and look good and clean, guilt free calling in sick, sick/vacation pay).
What to me is a "regular job," I can't do them anymore. Partly because many of them I just physically cannot anymore with my knees, but also partly because, ugh, it means having to dress like a dweeb, or dress ok, but either way get very dirty, bound to a hard schedule, and sweating and working hard for a bunch of unappreciative wankers. Can't do it anymore. Nope. Not for me.

That seems like very difficult. Takes a lot
of courage. I hope what I said does not
seem like bragging or showing off, it was not
intended that way. It’s just the hand fate dealt out.
Not my effort to earn it.

Shadow Wolf

That seems like very difficult. Takes a lot
of courage. I hope what I said does not
seem like bragging or showing off, it was not
intended that way. It’s just the hand fate dealt out.
Not my effort to earn it.
Not at all. Just affirming it is spoiling, and remarkably so. Even to me, a born-and-raised-and-still fierce defender of workers and unions I believe in the equal obligation to work, but I really don't want to do that work again. It's hard on the body and mind; factories and warehouses have you stuck in a dark, dingy, dusty box; customers are abusive to customer service; and your time, largely and mostly, is not your own. They still have my support, but I'm very reluctant to be one of them again.

Audie

Veteran Member
Not at all. Just affirming it is spoiling, and remarkably so. Even to me, a born-and-raised-and-still fierce defender of workers and unions I believe in the equal obligation to work, but I really don't want to do that work again. It's hard on the body and mind; factories and warehouses have you stuck in a dark, dingy, dusty box; customers are abusive to customer service; and your time, largely and mostly, is not your own. They still have my support, but I'm very reluctant to be one of them again.

It’s, I need to, speaking of work,
get back to it. Be well.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
‘I'm not a robot’: Amazon workers condemn unsafe, grueling conditions at warehouse

They get two 15-minute breaks, but the article mentioned that it takes as long as 15 minutes just to walk to the breakroom. The article also noted that the injury rates were three times the national average for warehouse work.

Sounds like a sweatshop.

This is outrageous. She gets written up for missing her rate because she had to clean up the mess of broken or improperly packaged items. Sounds like a hostile work environment.

One worker said "I'm a human being, not a robot."

Another worker said he would rather work in a prison, as he compared the Amazon warehouse to that.

I think Mr. Bezos has a lot of 'splaining to do.
Wow. That makes Walmart sound very enlightened, but of course the real source of trouble is that shoppers keep buying from the two largest. I believe that the presidents and state governors should begin addressing this and telling people to diversify where we buy. It should be something like the 'Say no to drugs' campaign -- something on the same scale.