• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

America is a secular nation.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
In reality only a few of the founding fathers were Deists. It is also true that the constitution mirrors many Christian principles and the founding fathrs believed that Christian morals were an essential part of wisely being able to serve our country.
Actually, MANY of the founding fathers were strongly against Christianity. George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin, James Madison, John Adams, Thomas Paine, and many others were outspoken against Christianity.

Shadow Wolf

If needed, I will gladly put forth Constitution articles and amendments, and quotes to back up America not being a founded on Christianity.
For starters, Article 6 states "No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States."
James Madison is quoted as having said "And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in showing that religion and Government will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together."

Allegedly, from the views of a friend of a friend, a certain Arthur B. Bradford was an associate of Ashbel Green, a Presbyterian minister who had known George Washington personally. Bradford wrote that Green, "often said in my hearing, though very sorrowfully, of course, that while Washington was very deferential to religion and its ceremonies, like nearly all the founders of the Republic, he was not a Christian, but a Deist."

blackout

Violet.
It would be more accurate to state that this country was founded on Freemasonry. All of the signers of the Declaration of Independence except for 1 were masons. All the freedoms granted by the Constitution were taken from the ideals and bylaws of the Masons. Masons even prophesied about finding a 'new world' long before the finding of the 'new world'.

The high percentage of FreeMasons involved in the founding of this country
is certainly a noteworthy curiosity. (a curiosity which continues to this day).

To those who say Freemasonry is not "religious" in nature?......
Manly P Hall (if memory serves me correctly)
was the highest ranking Scottish Rite Freemason...

Manly Palmer Hall (March 18, 1901 - August 29, 1990) was a Canadian-born author and mystic. He is perhaps most famous for his work The Secret Teachings of All Ages: An Encyclopedic Outline of Masonic, Hermetic, Qabbalistic and Rosicrucian Symbolical Philosophy, which is widely regarded as his magnum opus, published in 1928when he was just 27 years old.
He has been widely recognized as a leading scholar in the fields of religion, mythology, mysticism, and the occult. Carl Jung, when writing Psychology and Alchemy, borrowed material from Hall's private collection.

I'm kinda tired to go digging up stuff now...
but It's a very interesting subject...
that I once spent substantial time poking into.
(I also don't have any of my books here with me)

Shadow Wolf

Why? We control everything.
No, the Fundamentalist do not control everything.

To those who say Freemasonry is not "religious" in nature?......
The Masons aren't an actual religion, but they are religious/spiritual. One of the requirements for membership is a believe in a 'higher being.' The higher being a Mason believes in is not any specific ones either. My grandfather was a 32nd Mason, and was Christian. I know one man who is also 32nd, and he is Agnostic.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Mestemia says we do control everything and that is the problem. Luke says we don't control squat, so there should be no problem.

Which ever of you is right makes no difference to me, I am satisfied with the way things are this very moment. I guess it is impossible for some of you to understand that the majority of people running the world feel we are right on course, who ever we are.

Open your eyes and smell the coffee. Most people thought the office of Vice President was pretty lame before Dick Cheney came along. People are still scratching their heads trying to figure out what branch of government he belongs to.

Has anyone figured out this is about the world, not our country?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Mestemia says we do control everything and that is the problem. Luke says we don't control squat, so there should be no problem.
I asked a question.
I did not make a statement.

Which ever of you is right makes no difference to me, I am satisfied with the way things are this very moment. I guess it is impossible for some of you to understand that the majority of people running the world feel we are right on course, who ever we are.
Yet you still whine an awful lot over abortion being legal.
You whine an awful lot over same sex marriage.
You whine about sex ed in school
You whine about birth control
If you whine this much when you are satisfied, I would really hate to see when you are not satisfied.

Random

America is an Empire with a secular minority. It remains in the thrall of the Christian majority, no? But alas, and thank GOD, it is crumbling. Someone start a thread about the $$$ crisis right away! :flirt:

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Actually, MANY of the founding fathers were strongly against Christianity. George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin, James Madison, John Adams, Thomas Paine, and many others were outspoken against Christianity.
You're wrong. What they spoke out against was a state religion.

Shadow Wolf

You're wrong. What they spoke out against was a state religion.
Then why does the Constitution say "Congress shall not pass laws respecting the establishment of religion."?
And the Preamble, "We the people.....were endowed by our Creator...." A "Creator" is not named as any specific deity because most of the founding fathers didn't believe in any specific deity.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
You are right. It is a nation founded by Christians who believed in freedom of religion. They also believed that the public servants should be guided by the principles of the morality of Christianity.
At least that's consistent with the current administrations view of foreign democracy - elect whoever you want once they agree with us!