• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Medical Bill

Watchmen

Premium Member
Nothing for me.

But for the average American that decided or couldn't serve, is ****ed.
Perhaps. No doubt the medical billing and insurance industry is messed up, but the OP doesn’t give me enough information to see if the bill is reasonable or not. Also, can’t Americans get insurance through the Affordable Care Act?

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
Perhaps. No doubt the medical billing and insurance industry is messed up, but the OP doesn’t give me enough information to see if the bill is reasonable or not. Also, can’t Americans get insurance through the Affordable Care Act?

...If they make under a certain amount, usually as part of a low income/welfare benefit. A lot of Americans make just above that minimum level and go without health insurance when they need to choose between paying rent and bills or paying for health insurance

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Or maybe the hospital writes it off. Don’t really have enough info.
Insurance companies are big knowledgeable consumers
of health care. They negotiate the unpublished nominal
(ie, sucker) prices down to something reasonable. Health
care providers know this is standard procedure. The
average consumer doesn't play the game, both because
of lack of knowledge, & lack of bargaining power.

I know some fell tactics when dealing with hospitals.
But I don't need them cuz I'm well insured. Woe unto
the feckless consumer who racks up a big bill.

Watchmen

Premium Member
The last ER visit I had thankfully only cost me about 550$ out of 10k after all the testing and stuff. It would have been quite a lot more had I not had good hospital insurance, went to the same hospital I work at (which was akward), and taken an ambulence instead of asking a favor of a friend to take me instead. All those things I did to save myself some money instead of going to the closest hospital immediately via ambulence when I was going through stroke like symptoms

No matter why the USA is at 46th when it comes to life expectancy vs. other countries. We are well behind every other first world country, and even behind some second and third world countries too. So many people are scared to go to the hospital when it costs them so much money, so they either "wait it out" or they just don't go altogether
Maybe if Americans didn’t eat like crap they wouldn’t have to go to the hospital so much.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Fans of big government love the idea that Big Brother
will take care of all our needs. But a singular health care
system run by the kind of people we've seen in gov't,
eg, Donald Trump, SCOTUS, Ron DeSantis, MT Greene,
tell me that we should be cautious about that.
Procedures that are now legal & available, might
remain legal, but become unavailable if they offend
the sensibilities of knuckle walkers. Budget battles
might cause service interruptions or cutbacks.

There are other measures to consider. This ignorant
groundskeeper can think of a few. Certainly experts
in health care can imagine more.

1) Single payer, but with it still being legal to pay for
health care from private providers. This is useful when
the government run system is found lacking.

2) Apply consumer protection laws to health care, eg,
transparent pricing, prohibition of unreasonable pricing.
Competition for price & service could improve both.

3) Use a loser-pays tort system so that meritless suits
have a cost imposed upon the plaintiff, & especially
the plaintiff's attorney. This could cut malpractice
insurance.

4) Provide legal protections to doctors who make
reasonable choices about care, which could curb
the high cost of "defensive medicine", ie, needless
(CYA) cover-your-*** tests.
The fact that the rest of the first world has universal healthcare and none of them would trade their system for ours speaks for itself, along with aforementioned fact that the millions are driven into medical debt; a uniquely American problem. It's ghoulish, predatory, and can't be glossed over with bootstrap bull****.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The fact that the rest of the first world has universal healthcare and none of them would trade their system for ours speaks for itself, along with aforementioned fact that the millions are driven into medical debt; a uniquely American problem. It's ghoulish, predatory, and can't be glossed over with bootstrap bull****.
Yer preach'n to the choir, bub.
I loathe the current system.
Any thoughts about my recommendations?

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
Maybe if Americans didn’t eat like crap they wouldn’t have to go to the hospital so much.

Well that's a flippant attitude to have

Thankfully it wasn't a stroke. It was an occular migrane. Ended up being nothing bad, but that didn't make it any less scary of an experience

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
1) Single payer, but with it still being legal to pay for
health care from private providers.

Or the Swiss system with choice of provider. It's a pretty expensive system compared to every country besides the US but more palatable to those who want choice.

How it works, CPAM pays between 15% and 80% depending on procedure, compulsory private health insurance pays the balance.

With my original Medicare, the system works like that except it's my choice whether or not to buy "medigap" insurance. That's why many are saying "medicare for all".

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
This is what it cost for one ER visit this year. Keep in mind I have had three visits in the last month.

$12,667.95 for a six hour visit and some labs.

WTF America?
That's about around $2,111 an hour. Probably laying in a bed doing nothing and having nobody around at all save for one visit by an aid to take your blood pressure with a cheap battery operated device.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
This is what it cost for one ER visit this year. Keep in mind I have had three visits in the last month.

View attachment 78979

$12,667.95 for a six hour visit and some labs.

WTF America?
And this is why, despite the longer wait times and clearly overworked doctors, I will never ever complain about our Medicare system here. And indeed the government wants to constantly chip away at it and adopt a more US style approach, since they make a fraction of what the US does in terms of medical profits.
And I’ll fight tooth and nail to stop that from happening. Sorry but I wouldn’t trade ours for the US model even if you paid me

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Ah, so @Wu Wei has a sense of humor after all. Who woulda thunk that

Non Sequitur Comic Strip for June 25, 2023

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It looks like the VA paid only $1,348.26 of that bill. Over eleven thousand was not covered and it appears that the hospital has to eat it. But the hospital probably came out just fine. Hospitals have a tendency to ridiculously pad bills under our system. The insurance companies do not pay for that padding. They have agreements with the hospitals on how much they will take. The US government tells them how much that they will pay them The only people that can be threatened by such bills are the uninsured. And they still do exist.