• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Americans have become ignorant pushovers.

I find it perplexing that my countrymen who once rebelled against tyranny now lay down and let our obviously corrupt government put their boot on their necks. Traitor Trump led a coup attempt and stole top secret military documents and he's chilling in Florida talking crap about the FBI daring to do their job. If you or I did less than one tenth of the stuff Trump's pulled we'd be in prison so fast it'd make our heads spin yet privileged Trump (old rich white guy with connections) gets to play by different rules. Why is that? Why do VERY FEW people around me even seem to notice or care about this obvious two-tiered legal system that bows to the rich and crushes the poor? If Americans in general had a clue about things and any self-respect, they would be in the streets everywhere angrily protesting about being treated like second class peasants. On the other hand, maybe I'm the crazy one. Guess it'll take the corrupt banks and corporations COMPLETELY running the country into the ground to the point people and their kids are starving before people wake up. Thoughts?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I find it perplexing that my countrymen who once rebelled against tyranny now lay down and let our obviously corrupt government put their boot on their necks. Traitor Trump led a coup attempt and stole top secret military documents and he's chilling in Florida talking crap about the FBI daring to do their job. If you or I did less than one tenth of the stuff Trump's pulled we'd be in prison so fast it'd make our heads spin yet privileged Trump (old rich white guy with connections) gets to play by different rules. Why is that? Why do VERY FEW people around me even seem to notice or care about this obvious two-tiered legal system that bows to the rich and crushes the poor? If Americans in general had a clue about things and any self-respect, they would be in the streets everywhere angrily protesting about being treated like second class peasants. On the other hand, maybe I'm the crazy one. Guess it'll take the corrupt banks and corporations COMPLETELY running the country into the ground to the point people and their kids are starving before people wake up. Thoughts?

I'm not sure what happened, although there have been quite a number of protests in recent years. However, they can't seem to sustain any real momentum to bring about anything other than minor changes here and there. The politicians and pundits know how to work the crowd.

As for Trump, his legal troubles still continue, although it does seem kind of weird, I'll admit. Sure, he's rich, and it's true that rich people can get away with a lot more than a poor person usually can. But there's also a lot of rich people (along with a lot more poor people) who want to put Trump away. He has a lot of supporters, though, but even that may start to diminish with this latest stunt - this trading card gimmick. He's turned into a parody of himself. Perhaps he thinks his only chance of avoiding prison is by pleading insanity or that he's unfit to stand trial.

You didn't call for reform. You called for angry protest:

Yes, I did. Do you honestly think all the corrupt bankers, corporations, and politicians are just going to wake up one day and spontaneously turn over a new leaf out of the goodness of their hearts? What's going to push them to reform? Asking them nicely? Come on.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Yes, I did. Do you honestly think all the corrupt bankers, corporations, and politicians are just going to wake up one day and spontaneously turn over a new leaf out of the goodness of their hearts? What's going to push them to reform? Asking them nicely? Come on.

What's going to change hearts is patience, understanding, intelligence, careful boycotting, legal use of the law, perhaps to some extent evolution, the apparent increase in humanism, etc.

What's going to change hearts is patience, understanding, intelligence, careful boycotting, legal use of the law, perhaps to some extent evolution, the apparent increase in humanism, etc.

History shows that very few people who get into power willingly give it up. There is a new ruling class in America that got where they are by shady means, and they won't give that up without a fight. Thats a reality.

China's CCP, which is probably the most oppressive government on earth, stepped back from its zero covid policy because of angry protests. It would be nice if things could be resolved in a calm and rational manner but let's face it, that's not how humanity usually fixes its problems.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
History shows that very few people who get into power willingly give it up. There is a new ruling class in America that got where they are by shady means, and they won't give that up without a fight. Thats a reality.

China's CCP, which is probably the most oppressive government on earth, stepped back from its zero covid policy because of angry protests. It would be nice if things could be resolved in a calm and rational manner but let's face it, that's not how humanity usually fixes its problems.

Still, I feel that democracy is still mostly working in America. In a democratic system, you don't just go and start turning tables over, you change hearts.

I'm not sure what happened, although there have been quite a number of protests in recent years. However, they can't seem to sustain any real momentum to bring about anything other than minor changes here and there. The politicians and pundits know how to work the crowd.

As for Trump, his legal troubles still continue, although it does seem kind of weird, I'll admit. Sure, he's rich, and it's true that rich people can get away with a lot more than a poor person usually can. But there's also a lot of rich people (along with a lot more poor people) who want to put Trump away. He has a lot of supporters, though, but even that may start to diminish with this latest stunt - this trading card gimmick. He's turned into a parody of himself. Perhaps he thinks his only chance of avoiding prison is by pleading insanity or that he's unfit to stand trial.

I think back in 2016 the rich elite of the country thought Trump was playing a part to get elected and if he was elected, he'd play ball with them and continue the corrupt gravy trains they have collectively set up. However, they realized too late that he wasn't playing a part after he got elected and started disrupting business. The elites will make sure he'll never see the inside of the White House again. If Trump had quietly disappeared from politics, I bet he wouldn't have as many legal issues as he has now.

Still, I feel that democracy is still mostly working in America. In a democratic system, you don't just go and start turning tables over, you change hearts.

What democracy? We only have two political parties, and they are both owned by the rich and do the riches bidding. At this point calling America a democracy is a joke. The peoples will is subverted at basically every level of government.

Heyo

Veteran Member
There are common patterns in the rise and fall of empires. Indifference to injustice is one of them, widespread corruption another. Add incompetent leaders and the fate is almost sealed. The US is circling the drain. But then again, Rome was circling the drain for centuries.

Nimos

Hasn't it always been like that? The rich and famous can almost get away with murder. They hire the best lawyers or can make settlements, that normal people can't do.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
So, it was different before?....when?

Heyo

Veteran Member
Hasn't it always been like that? The rich and famous can almost get away with murder. They hire the best lawyers or can make settlements, that normal people can't do.
Yes, but they had to keep it secret as best they could. Today they do it in the open and there is no real opposition.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I'm an outside observer from across the pond, but it seems to me the problem in indicting Trump is reverence for the former Head of State, combined with the very reasonable fear of revenge, should he be elected as Head of State once more, rather than the "connections" of a rich old white guy. My diagnosis would be that when you have an elected Head of State, who also heads the Executive arm of the state, you can be in big trouble if the people ever pick a bad apple.

PureX

Veteran Member

Trump is a mascot for greed and selfishness. And a lot of people both rich and poor approve of greed and selfishness. They see these as positive human traits. They consider them expressions of "self-reliance" and homey (non-intellectual) wisdom. So they admire Trump blatantly parading these traits in public. They love watching him insult the weak and silly humanists and idealists that have always looked down on selfishness and greed as being socially toxic.

I think these people have always been among us. It's just that since the Great Depression and WW2 selfishness and greed have been considered a bad thing. So these people have had to hide their admiration of it, and minimize their expression of it. But the republican party and the rag media both figured out that they could get rich and win election by pandering to this otherwise ignored subgroup of Americans. So for the last 30 years they have been doing exactly that. And now these people feel emboldened, and justified, and vengeful. And Trump is their public "gladiator". The embodiment of all they admire.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Politics does not control my life. Who is president does not have a great deal of affect on my life.
IMO, the media makes party politics more important than they actually are.
We have a government system which prevents the government from taking too much control.
That may change but for now it those folks who get themselves worked up over politics that worry me more than who happens to be president.

Nimos

Yes, but they had to keep it secret as best they could. Today they do it in the open and there is no real opposition.
Agree, they work within the rules so there is no need, but people simply don't have equal opportunities to "navigate" the system due to a lack of money or power.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Thoughts?
Things are the same as before, despite
being completely different. All my life I've
watched people put up with terrible politics.
But at every moment, many will think they
live in the worst of times. (They just lose
awareness that things were bad before.)
My advice.....
Stop doomscrolling. Enjoy what you can.

Last edited: