• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An atheist question about Hinduism

Kirran

Premium Member
At the end of the day, the nastika-astika division does not apply to the vast majority of Hindus who don't know the Vedas. Really, anyone who thinks they're a Hindu is a Hindu. Artificial term, we just want to advance spiritually. Let us work together on that, and help one another to be happy and love others. Those are the whole point.

Jeremy Taylor

Do all Hindus even know the Vedas specifically? Among the Hindus I know they don't seem to (unless my pronounciation was indeed that terrible when I asked.) They still manage to attempt to follow the "big 4" goals nonetheless. Should there be limits on the DIR? I honestly don't know.
My skeptical nature does not allow me to blindly accept the Vedas as wholly perfect. I don't reject the wisdom, but even still. Should I not consider myself a Hindu? Should I reject my heritage? Do you want me to leave the DIR? Should I stop questioning in my pursuit of knowledge?
Perhaps it's what I see around me with fundamental Christians that elicits such a reaction to blind obedience of (any) scripture within me. Maybe I'm just too arrogant still.

Now see, the virtue of allowing such discussions has allowed me to ponder what it means to me to be a Hindu. Is that not a good thing?

Also Dick Dawkins is an anti theist. That's a very specific brand of Atheist, one that doesn't fit Aup from what I've seen from his posts.Personally I prefer Hitchens. At least he was honest and went after the "off limits" targets which didn't win him any favours among the PC crowd. Don't agree with all either says but ehh. Dawkins did help me pass grade 8 Physics so I can't be that mad at him. :p
Take away the attacks on religion, and retain the same metaphysics and philosophy as Dickie Dawkins, I still don't see how one can be Hindu, even if one has a cultural appreciation for Hindu culture.

Jeremy Taylor

At the end of the day, the nastika-astika division does not apply to the vast majority of Hindus who don't know the Vedas. Really, anyone who thinks they're a Hindu is a Hindu. Artificial term, we just want to advance spiritually. Let us work together on that, and help one another to be happy and love others. Those are the whole point.

But what can spirituality mean to the Western style materialist and naturalist? Isn't this really the point. This sort of atheism is ultimately the enemy of spirituality and spiritual effort and discipline in a meaningful sense. This is what makes it totally alien even to the Buddhist and Jain understandings of non-theism. Metaphors which reduce spirituality to vague feelings of content or awe and enlightenment to naturalistic psychology notwithstanding, atheism in this sense surely must be the contrary of all religion and spirituality.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Take away the attacks on religion, and retain the same metaphysics and philosophy as Dickie Dawkins, I still don't see how one can be Hindu, even if one has a cultural appreciation for Hindu culture.
What specific metaphysics are you referring to? Dawkins sees the world through a lens of science and engineering. Is that incompatible with spirituality? Not as far as I can see. No Hindu has to give up science it's not like a rule of initiation or something.
I'm more "artsy" in that it's easier for me to understand things through a lens of metaphors and symbolism. Hinduism being very philosophical allows me this privilege. Even still I do not shun Science.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
What do you mean by perfect? They are songs of a people at least 3000 years old and could be even 6000 year old or more. They sing praises of their Gods and describe their rituals (Brahmanas), mention what is happening around them, ask questions and give the best answers for their time (Upanishads). They are more history and literature than any God's command. In that sense they are perfect. Do they have any ten commandments? I don't think so.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Whatever may be the technical definitions of the words, in common parlance a nastika is one who does not accept the existence of God. In that sense, I am a nastika, atheist. One who accepts the existence of Gods is an astika. But since I accept the existence of Brahman, I am also an astika. If you go by respect to Vedas, then also I am an astika.

Hindu is not an artificial term. We have our ethics, morals, rituals and traditions, though they may differ in detail. When we come across the name of a God or Goddess worshiped anywhere by Hindus, we revere that also without any reservation - 'so what if we do not know him/her. He /she is a God/Goddess of Hindus'. I just opened the list of Hindu deities in Wikipedia randomly and have come across the name of Madurai Veeran (also known as Muthu Kumaran; lit. Warrior of Madurai) is a Tamil folk deity popular in southern Tamil Nadu, India. If my people anywhere worship him then I too revere him and would worship him if I were to come across a shrine of Madurai Veeran. For all I know he may be an incarnation of Skanda or Bhairava or or Virabhadra or Hanuman, or any other Hindu God, or could even be an avatara of an Asura or a Rakshasa/Rakshasi. Do we not worship Hidimba Devi in Kulu-Manali and she is supposed to be a Rakshasi. That is what makes us all Hindus.

330px-MaduraiVeeran.JPG
Hadimba-Temple-Manali.jpg

Last edited:

Jeremy Taylor

What specific metaphysics are you referring to? Dawkins sees the world through a lens of science and engineering. Is that incompatible with spirituality? Not as far as I can see. No Hindu has to give up science it's not like a rule of initiation or something.
I'm more "artsy" in that it's easier for me to understand things through a lens of metaphors and symbolism. Hinduism being very philosophical allows me this privilege. Even still I do not shun Science.
Dawkins is a materialist. Indeed, I read his appreciative foreword to a work of Susan Blackmore's that was advocating eliminative materialism. It is not a question of the role of science strangely made into a hypostasis. He is not just someone who personally isn't that interested in the non-scientific and sees non-scientific knowledge as quite uncertain and generally airy fairy, though I'd question, too, if such a person wouldn't compromise much meaningful spirituality - but someone who rules out genuine spirituality entirely.

Surely, spirituality must refer to some reality more than the mundane, material reality of everyday life, and mundane, Epicurean feelings of content within it. Surely, it also must involve meaningful spiritual effort and discipline to understand the true, transcendent reality, even if it turns out that reality was in some sense right under our noses the whole time. Materialism and naturalism are the enemies of genuine spirituality. They teach that the most mundane material reality - or, more properly, an impoverished and false reading of it - is all and any spiritual discipline they invoke must be simply a very mundane sort of content and peace of mind within this aspect of reality.

I actually think the person you describe would likely fall away from any true spirituality too, but certainly the out and out materialist or naturalist would.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
This sort of atheism is ultimately the enemy of spirituality and spiritual effort and discipline in a meaningful sense. This is what makes it totally alien even to the Buddhist and Jain understandings of non-theism. Metaphors which reduce spirituality to vague feelings of content or awe and enlightenment to naturalistic psychology notwithstanding, atheism in this sense surely must be the contrary of all religion and spirituality.
Jeremy, I beg to differ. I may be an atheist but I am as spiritual as any of the theists. I do not think my atheism has resulted in a loss of discipline (dharma), my Hinduism or spirituality. Buddha did not talk about God but talked about lesser deities and Jains had their own philosophy without Gods but with Devas and Tirthankaras. But they are not relevant to Hindu spirituality. I understood all through lens of the latest in science.

:D My spirituality goes straight to 'Parmarthika' and there is nowhere to go beyond that.

Last edited:

Jeremy Taylor

Jeremy, I beg to differ. I may be an atheism but I am as spiritual as any of the theists. I do not think my atheism has resulted in a loss of discipline (dharma), my Hinduism or spirituality. Buddha did not talk about God but talked about lesser deities and Jains had their own philosophy without Gods but with Devas and Tirthankaras. But they are not relevant to Hindu spirituality. I understood all through lens of the latest in science.

:D My spirituality goes straight to 'Parmarthika'.

I was keen, if you reread my posts on this subject, to differentiate the non-theism of those like Jains and Buddhists, with modern Western atheism. It is the latter and not the former which must be unspiritual, and which is just as pernicious when Western materialist and naturalists pretend to be Buddhists. If you are an atheist in this Western sense, as I think you, then no you are not spiritual in a meaningful sense than a theist, far from it. Your spirituality is just a metaphor for a few vague feelings and some mundane, Epicurean exercises for a calm mind. The latest in science has very little to do with spirituality, unless you are completely integrating it into a traditional spiritual viewpoint - and even then it must be marginal to your spiritual life.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
If you mean soul in spirituality, then that is not my view, because along with Gods, I do not accept souls too. I do not (I have mentioned it earlier too) believe in birth, death, reincarnation, karma transferring to a future birth, judgment, punishment, rewards or even creation. For me salvation/deliverance/nirvana/moksha is understand the unity of things in the universe, when there is nothing more to understand.

Kirran

Premium Member
Hindu is not an artificial term.

What I meant by this was that the term 'Hindu' is a neologism which arose an an exonym for the broad set of roughly Vedic/Upanishadic and Shramana traditions existing in India, which was later taken on board as an endonymic title for the set of traditions in tandem with the rise of solidarity within that group. Thus producing what we now call the Hindu identity. My point was more to emphasise the diversity and inclusiveness found under this umbrella.

Kirran

Premium Member
Jeremy, Aup has a great level of understanding and respect for Hindu tradition, and has his own philosophy and ideas regarding that. Through his commitment to dharma and to personal development, I think he very much follows spirituality in the way that is appropriate to him. But even if he does not somehow, then that is OK, because his beliefs work for him and he's not forcing them on anybody else. There is no utility to not whole-heartedly embracing him in the tradition if that is where he feels he is best suited to be :)

Jeremy Taylor

If you mean soul in spirituality, then that is not my view, because along with Gods, I do not accept souls too. I do not (I have mentioned it earlier too) believe in birth, death, reincarnation, karma transferring to a future birth, judgment, punishment, rewards or even creation. For me salvation/deliverance/nirvana/moksha is understand the unity of things in the universe, when there is nothing more to understand.
No. By spirituality I meant the need in some way to transcend or transform the mundane, material, everyday aspects of life. In other words, I take spirituality to be the opposite of materialism and naturalism - the contentment with mundane reality seen as solely material.

My definition here is about as inclusive a vision of spirituality one can get without the whole concept collapsing and anyone and everyone being spiritual. If a materialist can claim they are spiritual simply on the basis on vague feelings felt from time to time, or because they seek mundane, Epicurean contentment, then the entire concept of spirituality and religion is useless, as, indeed, would be following any religious or spiritual tradition.

Jeremy, Aup has a great level of understanding and respect for Hindu tradition, and has his own philosophy and ideas regarding that. Through his commitment to dharma and to personal development, I think he very much follows spirituality in the way that is appropriate to him. But even if he does not somehow, then that is OK, because his beliefs work for him and he's not forcing them on anybody else. There is no utility to not whole-heartedly embracing him in the tradition if that is where he feels he is best suited to be :)
I'm not sure he follows a meaningful spirituality. I think if we stretch spirituality to include materialists and naturalists then the whole concept is meaningless. But I don't especially object to his posts, and I agree his knowledge of Hinduism is great and deserves respect. It just makes me wonder what the Hindu DIR could mean if he is allowed to post some of the things he does.

Last edited:

Kirran

Premium Member
I'm not sure he follows a meaningful spirituality. I think if we stretch spirituality to include materialists and naturalists then the whole concept is meaningless. But I don't especially object to his posts, and I agree his knowledge of Hinduism is great and deserves respect. It just makes me wonder what the Hindu DIR could mean if he is allowed to post some of the thing he does.

None of us are equipped to say whether another's spirituality is meaningful. This is subjective.

As for him posting in the DIR: a Hindu is someone who 1) Believes in and upholds the dharma, 2) Believes in the concept of karma (cause and effect) and brings this concept into their lives and 3) Refers to themself as a Hindu while doing so.

Aup checks the boxes :D

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
What I meant by this was that the term 'Hindu' is a neologism which arose an an exonym for the broad set of roughly Vedic/Upanishadic and Shramana traditions existing in India, which was later taken on board as an endonymic title for the set of traditions in tandem with the rise of solidarity within that group. Thus producing what we now call the Hindu identity. My point was more to emphasise the diversity and inclusiveness found under this umbrella.
I think I get your point though your post is a bit too academic for me. :D

kalyan

Aspiring Sri VaishNava
No. By spirituality I meant the need in some way to transcend or transform the mundane, material, everyday aspects of life. In other words, I take spirituality to be the opposite of materialism and naturalism - the contentment with mundane reality seen as solely material.

My definition here is about as inclusive a vision of spirituality one can get without the whole concept collapsing and anyone and everyone being spiritual. If a materialist can claim they are spiritual simply on the basis on vague feelings felt from time to time, or because they seek mundane, Epicurean contentment, then the entire concept of spirituality and religion is useless, as, indeed, would be following any religious or spiritual tradition.

I'm not sure he follows a meaningful spirituality. I think if we stretch spirituality to include materialists and naturalists then the whole concept is meaningless. But I don't especially object to his posts, and I agree his knowledge of Hinduism is great and deserves respect. It just makes me wonder what the Hindu DIR could mean if he is allowed to post some of the thing he does.
Love reading ur posts man, you could not have said it better...although i dont have anything against aupmanyav, some of his atheistic posts rejecting the vedas should not fit in DIR per se but well his theory of atheism well fit 'charvakas' a sect atmost but he brings in advaita too causing confusion...as @axlyz said its the worry of advaitins now ..haha :)

Jeremy Taylor

None of us are equipped to say whether another's spirituality is meaningful. This is subjective.

As for him posting in the DIR: a Hindu is someone who 1) Believes in and upholds the dharma, 2) Believes in the concept of karma (cause and effect) and brings this concept into their lives and 3) Refers to themself as a Hindu while doing so.

Aup checks the boxes :D

If you mean we shouldn't make window's into the soul of another person, to some degree I agree, though when someone makes comments, that is perhaps different. But I do think we can comment on spirituality in the abstract. Materialism, it seems to me, is the antonym of spirituality in any meaningful sense. I think we need to comment on spirituality to understand it.

My understandings of Hindu ideas of Karma is it are cannot be diluted into a materialist or scientific understanding of cause and effect, on the one hand, and a vague piece of psychological advise that if you do bad you will often suffer consequences. Karma has a distinctly non-materialist, non-metaphorical meaning, as far as I'm aware. What could Karma mean but a vague metaphor for what sometimes occurs, but sometimes doesn't, to a materialist.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Jeremy, when were Hindus not materialistic. See the purusharthas, Artha, kama along with Dharma, Moksha. I will like to emphasize that materialism and naturalism is not anti-religious. Both are parts of life. And a Hindu can be a 'nitya sannyasi' (ever renounced - as Lord Krishna said) even when performing all duties of the phenomenal world. He can be a saint even when killing people in a war if he is doing it in cause of his duty without hate and anger). That is why majority of the sages in Hinduism were married, many times to more than one woman and had children. They were engaged in things that were dharma for them, studying scriptures and teaching. There is really no divide.
If a materialist can claim they are spiritual simply on the basis on vague feelings felt from time to time, or because they seek mundane, Epicurean contentment, then the entire concept of spirituality and religion is useless, as, indeed, would be following any religious or spiritual tradition.
That is a subjective statement. My feelings are deep and your feelings are vogue. What are the feelings that you consider deep and why do you think that my feelings are only vague? Why should I not work for the happiness of my family (that is my dharma)? I should also not feel down-heated if things go against me (Krishna said happiness and sorrows are like seasons, they come in life and then pass away. The wise should not be disturbed by them).
I'm not sure he follows a meaningful spirituality. I think if we stretch spirituality to include materialists and naturalists then the whole concept is meaningless.
I follow my 'dharma'. I have a 92 year old mother, till I am alive I have the responsibility for her happiness. I have a wife who has been with me for 48 years, till I am alive I have the responsibility for her happiness. Then the grandsons (my son is well-settled but my wife and myself do add to their care. Because of them, we can travel only occasionally - when it is holidays, then first it is time for them to travel with my son and his wife). If it was not for these responsibilities, I would have gone to Himalayas without a second's delay. These are the bonds that bind me but I do not regret them. That is life. Is your meaningful spirituality anything other than this?

Jeremy Taylor

Jeremy, when were Hindus not materialistic. See the purusharthas, Artha, kama along with Dharma, Moksha. I will like to emphasize that materialism and naturalism is not anti-religious. Both are parts of life. And a Hindu can be a 'nitya sannyasi' (ever renounced - as Lord Krishna said) even when performing all duties of the phenomenal world. He can be a saint even when killing people in a war if he is doing it in cause of his duty without hate and anger). That is why majority of the sages in Hinduism were married, many times to more than one woman and had children. They were engaged in things that were dharma for them, studying scriptures and teaching. There is really no divide.
This is not what materialism mean. I was keen to note that I am not saying spirituality rules out those perspectives that try to transform the mundane and material and understand its genuine spiritual place. Some varieties of Buddhism, for example, stress that Samsara is Nirvana, and mean something like this - that the ultimate reality that transcends all is also immanent. Indeed, in fact, almost all spiritual paths do not abandon the material as entirely worthless, except for some Gnostics and radical dualists (who have a metaphysically absurd position anyway). They simply transform their understanding of it, whilst transcending its solely material aspects. But materialism sees only the material, mundane world - and that only in an impoverished and false way - and that is an entirely untransformed way from the most worldly understanding of it. This is against any meaningful spirituality.

That is a subjective statement. My feelings are deep and your feelings are vogue. What are the feelings that you consider deep and why do you think that my feelings are only vague? Why should I not work for the happiness of my family (that is my dharma)? I should also not feel down-heated if things go against me (Krishna said happiness and sorrows are like seasons, they come in life and then pass away. The wise should not be disturbed by them).
I was referring to the statements you sometimes hear from New Atheists and their ilk that they can be spiritual too because of some feelings of awe and beauty they sometimes feel for the material world or scientific discoveries. I was simply suggesting that this sort of vague feeling added to the materialism and naturalism I describe is not enough to make it genuinely spiritual.

I follow my 'dharma'. I have a 92 year old mother, till I am alive I have the responsibility for her happiness. I have a wife who has been with me for 48 years, till I am alive I have the responsibility for her happiness. Then the grandsons (my son is well-settled but my wife and myself do add to their care. Because of them, we can travel only occasionally - when it is holidays, then first it is time for them to travel with my son and his wife). If it was not for these responsibilities, I would have gone to Himalayas without a second's delay. These are the bonds that bind me but I do not regret them. That is life. Is your meaningful spirituality anything other than this?
Who doesn't follow their dharma, then? Who doesn't have a meaningful spirituality, then? Which path is not equally spiritual and worthy of taking?