• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And God said, Let us make man in our image

St0ne

Surprisingly no I don't want to debate the use and translation of the words "us" and "our" in this text but rather the use of the word "image".

Recently I have heard it described that the meaning of this text is not simply that we are allegedy created with a similar physical apperance to god but "in our image" means gods wants, needs, desires, curiosity, etc.

Obviously this interpretation has far reaching effects on Cristianity, does anyone here agree with this interpritation/ What do others think of it?

Dentonz

St0ne said:
Surprisingly no I don't want to debate the use and translation of the words "us" and "our" in this text but rather the use of the word "image".

Recently I have heard it described that the meaning of this text is not simply that we are allegedy created with a similar physical apperance to god but "in our image" means gods wants, needs, desires, curiosity, etc.

Obviously this interpretation has far reaching effects on Cristianity, does anyone here agree with this interpritation/ What do others think of it?
I agree, and I don't think this has any adverse effects on Christianity. Another thing, Just as we have a body, mind, and spirit; so does God.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
St0ne said:

Almost everybody here agrees with your interpretation, StOne. I don't, but I'm afraid this topic has been debated so recently that I'm not up to it again right now. You'll find little argument for your position on this forum, though. Ask me again in three months, and I might want to debate it with you. ;)

On second thought, I'd consider a one-on-one debate with you if that would interest you. Otherwise, I'll just let everybody else on the forum tell you you're right. ;)

A

angellous_evangellous

St0ne said:

I can't understand how an all-powerful, all-knowing, and all-present God can have wants, desires, and be curious. How can you have these wants and desires if you have everything?

(quoting myself from http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25801&page=4&pp=10&highlight=image)

"I have not come across a single biblical interpreter who takes the image of God literally. That is, there isn't anyone out there saying that God in Genesis had human physical features who created humans in God's human'like image. You can go to a theological library, cover your eyes, and blindly pull any Genesis commentary off the shelf and every one of them will say that theimage of God is metaphorically interpreted. The exegetical rationale is very simple: Jews don't believe that God has an image, and it is blasphemy to think otherwise. Genesis is a Jewish document, so a literal image is an exegetical impossibility that is foreign to the original writers and preservers of the Genesis tradition that must be imported from a foreign religious tradition. A literal interpretation of the image of God therefore is rooted in foreign influence and is not exegesis (reading the text) but eisegesis (reading into the text)."

The interpretation is not that God created humans in God's physical image, nor is the image a projection of God lacking anything (like having wants, etc). The answer is consciousness, or freedom to choose, or freewill. That is the image of God.

St0ne

So the question is why would a god like that feel the need to create? And how is free will possible when god is attributed with being allknowing, omnipresent, omnipotent, etc.

Deut 13:1

St0ne said:
What does a perfect being, G-d, want?
What does a perfect being, G-d, need?
What does a perfect being, G-d, desire?
What does a perfect being, G-d, have curiosity about?

Obviously, a perfect being can't have those four attributes that you attribute to whatever diety you believe in.

Deut 13:1 said:
What does a perfect being, G-d, want?
What does a perfect being, G-d, need?
What does a perfect being, G-d, desire?
What does a perfect being, G-d, have curiosity about?

Obviously, a perfect being can't have those four attributes that you attribute to whatever diety you believe in.

warning:what your about to read may offend you personally if your replies contain hatred against other's beliefs i should not be kicked out of this forum again

a "perfect" being,word-god,needs proof of his own existence.
a "perfect" being,word-god,desires blood and sacrifice.
a "perfect: being,word-god,would have curiosity of the "reality" we survive in.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Katzpur said:
Almost everybody here agrees with your interpretation, StOne. I don't, but I'm afraid this topic has been debated so recently that I'm not up to it again right now. You'll find little argument for your position on this forum, though. Ask me again in three months, and I might want to debate it with you. ;)

On second thought, I'd consider a one-on-one debate with you if that would interest you. Otherwise, I'll just let everybody else on the forum tell you you're right. ;)
You know, Katzpur, while I was studying the Bible this weekend, I came across a stipture that reall covered this:

Romans 8:28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. 29 For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. 30 And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified. NIV

The term "likeness" is translated in many versions as "image". God does not want to make us "look" like Jesus: he wants to transform our hearts to be just like him! I thought this passage really applied to our discussion, so I thought I would share it.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
NetDoc said:
You know, Katzpur, while I was studying the Bible this weekend, I came across a stipture that reall covered this:

Romans 8:28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. 29 For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. 30 And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified. NIV

The term "likeness" is translated in many versions as "image". God does not want to make us "look" like Jesus: he wants to transform our hearts to be just like him! I thought this passage really applied to our discussion, so I thought I would share it.
If you want to go one-on-one with this, NetDoc, just say the word. I'm just not up to another me versus twenty other people debates. I believe I have a ton and a half of good scriptures to back me up, but I'm only interested if we go one-on-one. ;)

Deut 13:1

blood-lord14 said:
warning:what your about to read may offend you personally if your replies contain hatred against other's beliefs i should not be kicked out of this forum again
Lovely...

blood-lord14 said:
a "perfect" being,word-god,needs proof of his own existence.
a "perfect" being,word-god,desires blood and sacrifice.
a "perfect: being,word-god,would have curiosity of the "reality" we survive in.
Warning: what you're about to read may offend you personally if you're an idiot.

To first challenge those statements, you'd have to have at least have the understanding of a high school student, which for some particular reason, I doubt you have. At least on the biblical field I'm fairly confident you've never bothered to even read the TNK, let alone study the position you so clearly mock.

greatcalgarian

My interpretation is that Genesis is written by Man, and Man's attempt to create God. What better is to make God create Man in His image to boost Man's own superiority complex over all other living things, which Man has finally tamed through evolution?

Nehustan

greatcalgarian said:
My interpretation is that Genesis is written by Man, and Man's attempt to create God. What better is to make God create Man in His image to boost Man's own superiority complex over all other living things, which Man has finally tamed through evolution?
People keep posting about things I have just posted elsewhere, I have just been finishing a post about this very subject....have a peek greatcalgarian, although we don't agree on this I have a slant on it here that might amuse, 4th and 5th post on that page. Would love to know what you think in PM or within the thread (tho' if its in the thread I'd appreciate you take your time and read my whole rant!!!).

Nehustan

blood-lord14 said:
being a smartass also makes YOU lose your human values,im gald i lack religous studies because im to busy helping my family through all the hard times,while all you think is going to help is a WORD-god.clearly im glad to have low intellect better some than none but at least i have coomon sense to understand your the idiot because obviously you were offended by my last post,now all i have to excpect is your sympathy and half of your life's cost just so i can ride old school in my very own general lee HELLZ YAH.
I was wondering if '14' alluded to the words, and with that Rebel yell, I'll take that as a yes. The thing is don't let them get to you best thing to do, is turn that energy for a yell to a constructive end, that is surely the way to 14 words.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Katzpur said:
If you want to go one-on-one with this, NetDoc, just say the word. I'm just not up to another me versus twenty other people debates. I believe I have a ton and a half of good scriptures to back me up, but I'm only interested if we go one-on-one. ;)
Once I finish with Aqualung we can do this! :D

benjosh

St0ne said:
So the question is why would a god like that feel the need to create? And how is free will possible when god is attributed with being allknowing, omnipresent, omnipotent, etc.

God needs fellowship.

They used to say "no man is an island".

We are in God's image. He is not an island and it is love, attachment to others, that moves God (and us). And, love does not coerce. Our attachments, for good or evil are all a matter of choice.

WE can choose to know this God or not.

BenJosh

greatcalgarian

Nehustan said:
People keep posting about things I have just posted elsewhere, I have just been finishing a post about this very subject....have a peek greatcalgarian, although we don't agree on this I have a slant on it here that might amuse, 4th and 5th post on that page. Would love to know what you think in PM or within the thread (tho' if its in the thread I'd appreciate you take your time and read my whole rant!!!).
That is atheist point of view how the concept of God created man following His image. I have a quick look at your Ain Soph Aur thread. It may take me one month to digest what you have posted and what you are trying to say. Will do that when I find the time.:D