• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

animals and souls

do animals have souls?

• Total voters

linwood

Quoth_The _Raven said:
I think you underestimate the rest of us there, Jimbob.
I agree and think that for such underestimation you may be exiled to the Bog of Eternal Stench!!

I voted no as I don`t think anything has a "soul"

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Dentonz said:
I don't think so, because God only blew the breath of life into man.
Then how did life get into the rest of his kingdom?
Certainly not by accident.
We might not be told about it in the Bible, but we have never been told everything through the Bible.
I believe all life has souls, not always intelligence as we do, but souls.
even the man borne with no perceivable senses or intelligence has a soul.
Intelligence and soul are not interdependent.

Terry_______________________
Blessed are the pure of heart, they shall behold their God.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
oooo, im in a bit of a minority here :eek:

i said: yes, but not in the same sense as humans

and i might end up changing it, we shall see

anyway, i believe that all living things have a soul, and i believe that the soul is on a constant journey of growth and development

i don't believe that every human soul is the same, and i don't believe the souls of animals are like the souls of humans

im not saying human souls of superior to animal souls, im just saying they are not exactly the same

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
arthra said:
Animals have more empowered senses than we do and can perform amazing feats!

People personalize animals and adopt them as pets. We give them names and project personality onto them.

As much joy and happiness as animals can give us I don't believe they have souls...Animals lack comprehension. Kindness to animals is also very important and there need to be guidelines for treating them.

- Art
I'm not so sure about your "animals lack comprehension"; they express Joy and sorrow, can learn to use tools (primates and birds), and can even be shown to have a sense of humout.

You are right though, about the need for guidelines, and the Governament here is bringing in legistlation with reference to the 'Duty of care towards an animal' by it's owner. About time too.

Terrywoodenpic said:
We might not be told about it in the Bible, but we have never been told everything through the Bible.
Nice post. Terry, though I would go further and define 'living beings' as anything that has the ability to reproduce, grow, and die. That includes plant life (IMHO);)

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
michel said:
g that has the ability to reproduce, grow, and die. That includes plant life (IMHO);)
I excluded nothing.
Gods life force is in every thing living. It may be hard to define the life force as a soul if it does not have the ability to know itself. which most animals do but vegtable life seems not to.

Terry__________________

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Terrywoodenpic said:
I excluded nothing.
Gods life force is in every thing living. It may be hard to define the life force as a soul if it does not have the ability to know itself. which most animals do but vegtable life seems not to.

Terry__________________
How do you know?? You have just upset my pot plant!!:biglaugh:

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
michel said:
How do you know?? You have just upset my pot plant!!
You are in good company Prince Charles talks to his.:biglaugh:
They definately respond to music.

Terry_________________
Amen! Truly I say to you: Gather in my name. I am with you.

Atheist_Dave

*Foxy Lady*
Animals (including humans) do not have souls, just a certain level of conciousness. When you say animals do you mean animals in the true sense, including us?

Peace x

Dentonz

Terrywoodenpic said:

Terry_______________________
God spoke life into all creation. Animals, vegetation, etc. But he actually blew life into man's nostrils. When he did this, I believe mankind received a soul or became a living soul. We are spiritual beings, we desire a relationship with God. That is why there are so many religions. I don't believe animals have this same desire.

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
The Demiurge was ony able to entrap the "Divine Spark" of Sofia into humanity, that is why he commanded all his prior creations to bow before them.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Dentonz said:
But he actually blew life into man's nostrils. When he did this, I believe mankind received a soul or became a living soul.
Do you believe before he did this man was alive, but did not have a soul?
How would you classify man before this?
Did he have intelligence?
Do you believe there are animals in heaven?

Terry_____________________

despi

I lost a much loved pet 2 years ago this month. :( We rushed him in the middle of the night to the vet's...he had gone into a seizure and showed no signs of coming out of it. We stayed with him for awhile and only left after the vet assured us that he would be ok. After we got home, my husband left for work and I layed down on the couch and fell asleep. I dreamt that I was at the vet's office and she was bringing me Andy....but when I looked at the dog she was carrying, she was carrying a black dog, my Andy was a beautiful white and tan color, so I told her "That's not my Andy". The phone rang waking me up and I looked at the clock as I answered it....the time was 8:30...it was my sister calling. I told her about Andy's seizure and about the dream I was having right before she called. I kind of laughed and told her the dream seemed so real, as if I was actually at the vet's office. I called the vet's office after I got off the phone with her....needless to say....the vet told me Andy had just died about 10 minutes ago....around 8:30.... and she was getting ready to call me. Anyone can say or think what they want, but I know at the moment of his death he was trying to tell me "good-bye". He was so attached to me, like my shadow, he was always one step behind me. The bond, if we allow it, can be so strong between us and our pets. And really pets is the wrong word....I heard somewhere...can't remember just where, that they were our children with furry coats. That is how I view them, and "yes" I feel that God gave them a soul and look forward to having them "all" with me for eternity. The only problem is that I'll probably need a big farm !!!! :)

BruceDLimber

Hi!

To amplify what Art said, the Baha'i scriptures teach that humans and animals are distinct levels of creation (these being, in ascending order, mineral, vegetable, animal, human, and Divine Messenger), and that only humans and up have souls.

Regards,

Bruce

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
despi said:
I lost a much loved pet 2 years ago this month. :( We rushed him in the middle of the night to the vet's...he had gone into a seizure and showed no signs of coming out of it. We stayed with him for awhile and only left after the vet assured us that he would be ok. After we got home, my husband left for work and I layed down on the couch and fell asleep. I dreamt that I was at the vet's office and she was bringing me Andy....but when I looked at the dog she was carrying, she was carrying a black dog, my Andy was a beautiful white and tan color, so I told her "That's not my Andy". The phone rang waking me up and I looked at the clock as I answered it....the time was 8:30...it was my sister calling. I told her about Andy's seizure and about the dream I was having right before she called. I kind of laughed and told her the dream seemed so real, as if I was actually at the vet's office. I called the vet's office after I got off the phone with her....needless to say....the vet told me Andy had just died about 10 minutes ago....around 8:30.... and she was getting ready to call me. Anyone can say or think what they want, but I know at the moment of his death he was trying to tell me "good-bye". He was so attached to me, like my shadow, he was always one step behind me. The bond, if we allow it, can be so strong between us and our pets. And really pets is the wrong word....I heard somewhere...can't remember just where, that they were our children with furry coats. That is how I view them, and "yes" I feel that God gave them a soul and look forward to having them "all" with me for eternity. The only problem is that I'll probably need a big farm !!!! :)
Only some one who had not shared their life with an Animal who they truly loved, could say that they did not have a soul.

Terry______________
Blessed are those who bring peace, they shall be children of God

BruceDLimber

Terrywoodenpic said:
Only some one who had not shared their life with an Animal who they truly loved, could say that they did not have a soul.
OR someone whose scriptures explicitly state this, please note!

Bruce