• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Answer me this...

kally

Hi to all I am new. I am a christian but currently do not attend a physical church. I grew up in a church called The world wide church of God for 20 years. Long story short the church ended up being some what of a cult, but that is another story for another day. I have a question about a issue that has really been bothering me. On a daily bases I am bombared with stories of men who cheat. Studies show that 60% of married men cheat on their wives. Society feels like this is to be expected and the norm and that is just the way it is deal with it. I know that God is a loving God and a forgiving God but I feel that because of what Eve did years ago ,that this is one of the curses placed upon women, because there are far to many cases of this behavior. As you know in the bible it states about generational curses. This cheating breaks up families and the cheatee does not seem to care about what he does, nor can he explain his actions. Only to blame it on weakness. Why risk so much? Nothing else makes sense. My question is what is your view?

Ody

Excerpt from Recovering From Affairs, A Handbook for Couples by Peggy Vaughan and James Vaughan, Ph.D.: "The current consensus of sex researchers is that 60% of married men and 40% of married women have an affair at some point during marriage. (The percentage of married women having affairs is continuing to increase; under age 35 both men and women are in the 60% range.) This means that affairs happen in a lot of marriages -- probably upwards of 80%." -
http://divorcesupport.about.com/cs/adultery/a/catchingacheat.htm

Women have a high degree of cheating as well, .... Well don't mean to be so abrasive, but understand women are just as base. Its a cultural thing, why men cheat more than women, although the percentage of women who cheat on thier partners is increasing greatly in our society

PureX

Veteran Member
I don't think that the story about Adam and Eve is a historical representation of events, having contemporary consequences. I think it's a story intended to be understood metaphorically, and intended to convey a message to us about why we are the way we are.

According to the story, we are the way we are because we presume that we ought to be God's equals. We presume to judge the world we live in according to our own desires, as though we created it ourselves, and then we find it lacking, we labor our lives away trying to "correct" creation according to our own ideas about how it should be (usually based on the selfish idea that the world should serve our will, exclusively).

The lesson of the story is that we who read it should look into our own hearts and thoughts and see if we're presuming that we should be God's equals as Adam and Eve did, and if we're presuming to judge God's creation according to our own ideas about how it should be. And if we are doing so, then we should recognize that this is why we labor and suffer our lives away on Earth - that our sorrow is of our own doing. This is how we have lost our place in "Eden".

There may be some sort of relationship between men and women cheating on their spouses and the human "sin" of presuming ourselves to be God's equals, as is depicted in the story of Eden, but I think the Eden story is about a more general and pervasive form of human presumption and arrogance. But I'm sure it could be said that people cheat on their spouses because they want what they want and to hell with everyone else. Which is certainly akin to Adam and Eve thinking they should be God's equals.

finalfrogo

I don't understand why they would take such a risk, but I don't think it's Eve's fault. Men cheat because they decide to. Religion has nothing to do with it!

kally

Oh ok thank to all. I was just trying to see if their was another explanation, because it seems like it is such the norm . sometimes I take things to deep. :) .

finalfrogo

kally said:
Oh ok thank to all. I was just trying to see if their was another explanation, because it seems like it is such the norm . sometimes I take things to deep. :) .

Lol that's alright, I take things too deep all the time. :D