• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any musicians in the house?

jonny

I've play piano most of my life. I used to play the trumpet and French horn, but I have not played either of those for years. My mom was very musical and made sure that all of her kids could play a couple musical instruments.

jonny

Majikthise said:
Yeah, the pipes rule! Alot of people of people I know have asked me how I can stand listening to that racket, they just don't hear the beauty.
We had a guy who used to walk around our apartment complex on Sunday afternoons playing the bagpipes. :banghead3

They can be beautiful, but there is a time and place for everything. Sunday afternoon at my house is the time and place for NAPPING!!!

Faint

Synth pop! That's my thing. I've a Roland X8 that I program for darker pop dance tracks in the style of NIN, The Faint (thus my user name), and Depeche Mode. That also means that I create drum and bass rhythms myself, along with various electronic instrument melodies. And I sing--sort of like Bono mixed with Maynard Keenan and a little Michael Hutchence thrown in. Still trying to think of a band name though....

mr.guy

crapsack
I used to love patching my Dr.Rythm through a zoom 507 with another stage of compression. Straight to the stereo, it would just blow my brains out the huge, grinding awful noises you could make with 2 cheap little boxes.

Zephyr

Moved on
I play bass(Just electric. Uprights are weird), cello, viola, and of course air guitar. I also used to play a stick, but I gave up after a bit. Too many strings. I have played in a few bands so far. A bit of jazz, some melodic death metal, and power metal. Once again, I am unemployed. Oh well, I'm still in high school, and I've only gone through about half of the bands here.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I don't think drum and bass machines are anywhere close to as good as the real thing. I do like trance/techno music once in awhile (depends on my mood), but a machine cannot produce bass riffs anywhere on the same level as Cliff Burton could or Fieldy can using a real bass guitar.

mr.guy

crapsack
I largely agree, luke. But then again, a tuba and tabla paiing would qualify as drum and bass in my books. But when we discuss "levels" of bass riffs...modern synths do a great job of imitating bass guitars (pesumably a keyboardist or programer could write equaly interesting bass lines) For heavy synth-pop, it's almost better to use a keyboard.

Aqualung

Tasty
Luke Wolf said:
I don't think drum and bass machines are anywhere close to as good as the real thing. I do like trance/techno music once in awhile (depends on my mood), but a machine cannot produce bass riffs anywhere on the same level as Cliff Burton could or Fieldy can using a real bass guitar.
Techno isn't supposed to produce "riffs." Techno is pure beat. It's dance music. If you want innovative, don't listen to it. But if you just want a strong beat that can carry you along, techno is for you. Mindless fun. It's not thoughtfull or thought provoking, nor is it meant to be.

mr.guy

crapsack
Aqualung said:
Techno isn't supposed to produce "riffs." Techno is pure beat. It's dance music. If you want innovative, don't listen to it. But if you just want a strong beat that can carry you along, techno is for you. Mindless fun. It's not thoughtfull or thought provoking, nor is it meant to be.
Patently untrue. I hardly consider audigy (nothing records)"mindless fun". Nor is techno "pure beat" by neccessity. The fact that most (popular) techno writers are incredibly lazy with their compositions doesn't reduce the musical validity of techno in the least. You're a bassist, righ Aqualung? Try finding some Grahm Central Station (Release Youself is a fantastic album, a must listen: '72 i think). Although an amazing bassist in his own right, Larry Grahm was quite fond of programing quite complex techno compositions. As was Stevie Wonder, Miles Davis, etc.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Instrument, eh? I play the piano, and for anyone LDS I'm the ward pianist, and I played cello for 3 years(a while ago), and I want to learn to guitar, think my husband might teach me, not sure yet.

Faint

Luke Wolf said:
Or Les Claypool.
But electronica isn't trying to make Fieldy-style bass rhythms (they're considered too sloppy sounding). Techno/IDM/Synth pop etc. is a whole different vibe, which Fieldy and other traditional bass players are not able to produce. I like synth instruments because they can be programmed into perfect rhythm. And they can even be far more complex than any human could physically play. But complexity and style depends on the composer of course.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
And they can even be far more complex than any human could physically play.
More complex doesn't mean a better sound. Stairway to Heaven is one of the simpiliest to play, and one of the best sound mellow guitar riffs, IMO.

Makes me want to have a "battle of the instruments." I'll play my bass guitar, and a keyboard-techno player making bass sounds will play our best and let a crowd decide which is better.

Ormiston

Luke Wolf said:
More complex doesn't mean a better sound. Stairway to Heaven is one of the simpiliest to play, and one of the best sound mellow guitar riffs, IMO.

Makes me want to have a "battle of the instruments." I'll play my bass guitar, and a keyboard-techno player making bass sounds will play our best and let a crowd decide which is better.
I'd listen.

mr.guy

crapsack
Luke Wolf said:
Why is the keyboardist limited to bass sounds? Why don't you expand the competition to playing keyboard lines on bass? I'm still knocking my head against the wall trying to play "linus and lucy" like Stu Hamm does.