• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any muslims not literalist?

outhouse

Atheistically
Came up in another thread.

I posit they are all literalist like YEC Christians, and I could be wrong.

But I have not yet met one that does not believe god told muhammad all the content, and thus the whole book is true and correct.

Here is your chance to explain.

outhouse

Atheistically
From what im reading there is debate they are muslim. Lets say they are.

They still follow a literal interpretation that many muslims think they are perverting.

perverted literal, is still literal

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I'm not sure the distinction between literalism and non-literalism can be made meaningful in a Muslim context. I would advise giving some benchmarks, at the very least.

How would one tell a literal Muslim from a non-literal one?

outhouse

Atheistically
I'm not sure the distinction between literalism and non-literalism can be made meaningful in a Muslim context. I would advise giving some benchmarks, at the very least.

How would one tell a literal Muslim from a non-literal one?

If there are no non literal ones, you can tell when they are not calling themselves muslim, or become ex muslim if their country doesn't kill them for leaving.

Distinction is easy, they believe the book Is true to word. literally true. Meaningful is in context to reality, not muslims in this case. I think I know where they all stand on this.

Christianity we see middle ground, the fanaticism is not so deep that all are required to be literalist, and a only a minority are.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Is Islam about the Koran or submission to God?
I believe it is about submission and I believe that truth is not limited to literal interpretations of anything.
Am I a muslim? I don't know.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I have not met a Muslim that does not believe that the Quran is the word of God.

However they do not all hold to the exact same interpretations and meanings, when applied to modern circumstances.

Arabic seems to be a very difficult language to translate in an un-argumentative manner, as it seems to accommodate more than one meaning to the simplest vocabulary, largely based on context and prior knowledge.

Things seem to be no easier for native Arabic speakers than for foreigners.

outhouse

Atheistically
I have not met a Muslim that does not believe that the Quran is the word of God.

Thank you

Sort of my point that addresses the fanaticism required by all muslims.

We all know they kill each other over interpretation, why freedom of religion is not practiced by ALL, is another topic, but fanaticism and fundamentalism raises its head again promoting violence.

outhouse

Atheistically
Yeah. Sounds to me like you're just bashing Muslims.

I have my issues with the religion, as reported everyday in every headline worldwide.

BUT I have a question, I would like to get answered. If im wrong so be it.

Christians we can say maybe 20%- 40% are YEC literalist

Would you care to place your percentage of literalism you think islam can be honestly attributed to??

Or by addressing a problem do you see it as bashing?

outhouse

Atheistically
I understand it slow hanging fruit.

Its also some pretty dangerous fruit.

Don't see YEC literalist going tribal on anyone.

outhouse

Atheistically
There are moderate Muslims, I don't know the percentage though. Only 3-4% are jihadist/extremists.

Not what Im addressing.

The issues I have had addressing historical aspects are typical muslims

And literalist has nothing to do with jihadist at all.

Moderate muslims still are following gods word handed down to Muhammad or they would not be muslim, correct? and believe in all the prophets?

And all the history reported?

Once they deny any aspect of the book they feel they are denying god, do they not?