• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any muslims not literalist?

4consideration

Premium Member
I have my issues with the religion, as reported everyday in every headline worldwide.

BUT I have a question, I would like to get answered. If im wrong so be it.

Christians we can say maybe 20%- 40% are YEC literalist

Would you care to place your percentage of literalism you think islam can be honestly attributed to??

Or by addressing a problem do you see it as bashing?

I don't really know about percentages of Muslims doing anything. I don't really see that you done much to convince me, though.

I understand there are some problems going on in the world. I also understand that a lot of people are involved, and there are some specific issues that seem to involve Muslims. I'm not denying that.

My point is that it comes across to me that you are talking a lot about the people, and in a way that does not seem (to me) effective for the kind of discussion that would lead to resolution of anything.

I don't see how you can think that comments like this are part of constructively addressing a problem.

Don't try to understand muslims!

muslims know muslims, and they hate each other. :D

outhouse

Atheistically
I don't see how you can think that comments like this are part of constructively addressing a problem.

So you choose not to answer?

Im sure you have a guess.

If we cannot identify a problem, how can we fix it?

Honestly I would love to see islam returned to being the center for education and knowledge how it once was.

I would love to take a backseat and learn from them. Much of what we learn now has roots there, from language to astrology

outhouse

Atheistically

That was a joke about women ;) plagiarized trying to bring a little funny to the thread.

Hence the smiley face.

Sorry but the sectarian violence the religion cannot take care of is responsible for the deaths of many Americans who fought for freedom of muslims in Iraq . This is due to arguments within literalism.

The problem is very dynamic and I only provide one example, don't read to deeply.

4consideration

Premium Member
So you choose not to answer?

Im sure you have a guess.

If we cannot identify a problem, how can we fix it?

Honestly I would love to see islam returned to being the center for education and knowledge how it once was.

I would love to take a backseat and learn from them. Much of what we learn now has roots there, from language to astrology
Yes. I choose not to answer. I would just be making something up if I were to answer. I don't even have a guess.

You're saying you are trying to identify a problem, yet you already seem to have determined that you know the answer, that they are all a certain way, and (jokingly) that there is no use in trying to understand Muslims.

How could you possibly fix a problem with a group of people that you can't seem to bring yourself to give any respect or credit to for how they are interpreting their own religion?

I think the first step in solving problems between people is that both parties bring themselves to some kind of place of mutual respect for each other, desire for resolution, and try to understand what is of value to the other party, so that resolution of the matter has value for each side.

I think the extremes of "everyone needs to be Muslim" and "no one should be Muslim" seems to be at work for a lot of people -- and if you are taking a position that all, or most, Muslims are literal about something you don't think is accurate, it seems to me you're at one end of the spectrum, yourself.

I don't want anyone forcing me to be Muslim, but I also don't wish to treat that religion as though it has no value, when it seems to have value for a lot of people.

I think coming up with some sort of percentage, like if I were to guess, OK I'll say most Muslims are literalists, then what? We can get together and agree they are wrong for it? What does that do to solve any problem? All we would really be doing is patting ourselves on the back for being right about them being wrong.

That's why it seems like bashing to me. First, we would decide to agree they are that way. (I don't see Muslims jumping in on this thread, saying what you are saying.) Then we'd decide they're wrong. I think that would be a false victory.

outhouse

Atheistically
That's why it seems like bashing to me..

Trying to get someone to see the problem, that literalism is a problem. Is part of it, part of this thread more so then just asking a percentage and off I go on my merry way.

You will also understand post like these that address or semi address a problem, the people who are part of he problem almost never reply.

Like YEC threads addressing the flood mythology, they run for cover instead of admitting there shortcomings or interpretation problems. And for the koran, interpretation is a problem that kills to many muslisms.