• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

anyone know of an online guide to Hindu Sects?

wikipedia is not thorough enough for what I am looking for, I've found a book at the library that is 500 pages on this, but I am not sure if it is that accurate and the terminology is really old style (academic, 1940's), so does anyone know of a good guide?

Smoke

Done here.

I can't speak for nathaniel, but I don't find that very helpful. I'd like something more detailed.

I really think I'm missing something about Sanatana Dharma. I find it a very beautiful religion, and there are things about it that seem profound and wise to me. And the Hindu members of RF seem to be thoughtful people with many interesting things to say. And yet every time I go to read about Hinduism, especially books written by Hindus, I find myself thinking, "Oh, that's just crap. Nobody in his right mind would agree with that." I mean, not on every page, but very frequently. I end up thinking that there must be more to it than what I can find out. It's kind of frustrating. It's like if you were trying to learn about Christianity, and all the books you could find about it were by Baptists.

But anyway, I think a good review of the different sects or schools would be helpful. It just doesn't seem to be easy to find.

WayFarer

Rogue Scholar
...maybe a "family tree" representation (instead of 'visual representation') would have been a better explanation of the layout. :eek:

that's a very decent graph... I wish there were better visual aids that break down like, by text they use, by region etc.,
much thanks though. I think it includes even some tiny sects

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member