• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone know what this rune is?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I tried figuring it out via charts of runes, and all I can come up with is the main one (the upright 3 prong) as being "elk". Huh? :shrug:

It's a nice bronze one, a little bigger than my current Mjolnir (of unknown metal, probably pewter or nickel). But I wouldn't want to get something that has an inscription I don't know the meaning of.

sn_small_kai_hammer.jpg

Draka

Wonder Woman
I don't have the best of resources, and I certainly don't have very many listed here, but I don't see any that look like that. If I were to combine two or three together I could come up with that, but I don't know that that would even be done. I simply don't know. Perhaps an Algiz combined with an Ur and a Thorn? No clue really. Ur and Thorn both being associated with Thor, those make sense at least. Someone else will have to kick in here.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
That's really strange. I'm not aware of characters being superimposed on each other like that either, though this is a common method for creating magical sigils. Something you might want to use as reference is this resource. They have other futhark alphabets on this site as well.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
That's what I thought, about the combining and superimposing. I don't know runes, but even I can make visual comparisons. I thought about the thorn also, but I don't know if there are rules of sandhi with runes, you know, do their forms change when combined forming words... like in creating those sigils. I might be able to send a question to the site to ask them.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Appears there is such a thing as "binding runes", in which you do just that. Combine two or more runes, due to their magical applications, to enhance a spell upon an object or object itself for a use. Appears that one was used upon this. If I'm right about the runes it appears like to me, then it would seem like it was done for protection, luck, defense, breakthroughs, change, courage, and enhancing strength. Now, of course, don't quote me on this, but that's what I'm getting from this.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
What you're saying makes sense. I sent an e-mail to the company (Jelling Dragon). I'm sure I'll get a reply. If I do, of course I'll let you all know. If you're right... well uh... then that means you were right. :D

Draka

Wonder Woman
Well, even I have my moments sometimes. If I'm not right...eh, no surprise either. I'm shooting in the dark here. Runes aren't my specialty. :shrug:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Aw, I definitely appreciate the effort. And I did learn something that runes do kind of have rules of sandhi for combining.

Sees

Dragonslayer
Draka is right and it's good to go in my opinion

One of the better mjölnir and bind-rune examples I have seen :)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Great, thanks. So I take it, it is invoking Thor's protection and blessing. Very cool. We likes it, we wants it, it's ours, our prrrrecious. oops, wrong story. :D

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I did order the hammer and the leather thong (black, 31"). I think the black rather than natural will look awesome with the bronze. Anyway, Brian from Jell Dragon (they're in the UK) wrote back to me. He said it's the maker's mark. He didn't elaborate on its meaning. I can't wait to see it (and of course wear it). :)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks, it should be here in a few days. I am currently wearing a silver-tone one of unknown metal. It may be nickel or pewter. I have it on a braided nylon cord. When I get the new one, I'll take a selfie to show how it looks.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Wow - it certainly is impressive. I do not know anything about runes, but a good Irish friend, seriously, not Irish American but 100% Irish from Ireland who was a teacher here in the US for sometime but then went back to Ireland last year, he gave me some gifts and one was a book that had some "runes" as you call them in it. He was really into this tradition.

Where do you get "runes"? Online?

Have a great day and I like your token a lot.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Wow - it certainly is impressive. I do not know anything about runes, but a good Irish friend, seriously, not Irish American but 100% Irish from Ireland who was a teacher here in the US for sometime but then went back to Ireland last year, he gave me some gifts and one was a book that had some "runes" as you call them in it. He was really into this tradition.

Have a great day and I like your token a lot.

Runes are the ancient Germanic system of writing. They also have very sacred and esoteric aspects.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

As LI said, they're an ancient Germanic "script", an alphabet of sorts. In fact they're usually referred to as futhark for the first 6 letters: f, u, th, a, r, k. There are charts all over the internet. I'm just learning about them, but the one in the picture seems to be a combination, sort of like following rules of sandhi. You can get them in sets on individual glass beads, stones or pieces of wood like for Scrabble, that are used for divination.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
It's about the same measurements as the silver one but heavier and thicker than I expected. It really does look like the first picture I posted. The silver one may be pewter, I braided the rope. I put the new one on a gold rope chain I have. The new one has a shiny gold finish, but through the loop you can see it's bronze. I won't wear it to bed or in the shower, so the finish should stay. The one on the left is my first one, the one on the right is the new arrival. I really like it. So does hubs.

Attachments

• Bronze and pewter hammers.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 99

Sees

Dragonslayer
It's about the same measurements as the silver one but heavier and thicker than I expected. It really does look like the first picture I posted. The silver one may be pewter, I braided the rope. I put the new one on a gold rope chain I have. The new one has a shiny gold finish, but through the loop you can see it's bronze. I won't wear it to bed or in the shower, so the finish should stay. The one on the left is my first one, the one on the right is the new arrival. I really like it. So does hubs.

Awesome bro, glad it arrived safe and timely. I like the first one as well.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, the first one is nice. Not bad for $9.99 in a New Age-y shop. I'm sure I'll wear that one occasionally too. One can never have too many Mjollnirs. :D