• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone know what this rune is?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, please do! :)

Btw, I was able to read the runes in your sig. image: it's Asatru, in the Younger Futhark, short-twig runes. Yay me! :D

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Yes, please do! :)

It's made of heavy bronze. It's usually pretty shiny but not so much now because of wear.

Here you go:

141021-152138crop_zpsad246076.png

141021-152402crop_zps785fd77d.png

The Runes on the bottom say "Thor, hallow this hammer".

Btw, I was able to read the runes in your sig. image: it's Asatru, in the Younger Futhark, short-twig runes. Yay me! :D

Awesome! You know more about the Runes than me. I didn't know what it said. :eek:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Very nice pendant! Yeah, eventually the shiny finish comes off. Bronze is an alloy, primarily copper with tin and some other metals; brass is copper and zinc. Btw, I don't know **** about the runes, I use a cheat sheet. :D

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Very nice pendant! Yeah, eventually the shiny finish comes off. Bronze is an alloy, primarily copper with tin and some other metals; brass is copper and zinc.

Thanks! Yours is awesome, too. I don't mind it losing its shine, I love it, anyway! There are methods of polishing bronze, though. I'll have to try it some time.

Btw, I don't know **** about the runes, I use a cheat sheet. :D

Lol. No worries. We all have to start somewhere. :)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
There are methods of polishing bronze, though. I'll have to try it some time.

I'll have to look it up. I like the look of bronze, and don't mind the ageing, but I was concerned that when it ages, it will look mismatched to the gold chain. I'm quirky that way. :eek:

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
I'll have to look it up. I like the look of bronze, and don't mind the ageing, but I was concerned that when it ages, it will look mismatched to the gold chain. I'm quirky that way. :eek:

I've already gotten some of that green patina on it, but I picked it off. Lol. My fault for sleeping in it. Damn oily skin. :D

When it's really shiny, it looks like gold. My mom was concerned that I'll get robbed over it. The chain is more expensive than the pendant was. Haha.

Some resources I found:

How to Clean Bronze | Metals
How to Clean and Polish Bronze | eHow

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Yep, I just saw those sites as I was answering you. I never realized bronze has the gold finish, I've always seen it already aged and with the patina. But it makes sense that copper would be lightened with the addition of a much lighter metal. I'll definitely polish it when the time comes. I won't sleep or shower with it. The hammer is too heavy to be comfortable when sleeping.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Yep, I just saw those sites as I was answering you. I never realized bronze has the gold finish, I've always seen it already aged and with the patina. But it makes sense that copper would be lightened with the addition of a much lighter metal. I'll definitely polish it when the time comes. I won't sleep or shower with it. The hammer is too heavy to be comfortable when sleeping.

Before it came in the mail, I honestly wasn't expecting much out of it. Beautiful design, but I thought, hey, it's bronze. It's not going to be that nice. But I was proven so wrong when I first saw it in person! It was a lot heavier, ornate and shiny than I thought it would be! I'd love to get that shine back but I'm in no rush. I'll wait until it's really tarnished. It's kinda nice to clean tarnished jewelry because you get to see the beauty revealed again. :)

By the way, I've had that Jelling Dragon site bookmarked for months. I've wanted to get a full-on, expensive bling-bling Hammer and necklace from them but $300+ to blow on a necklace isn't easy to come by or justify. :D Lol.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Before it came in the mail, I honestly wasn't expecting much out of it. Beautiful design, but I thought, hey, it's bronze. It's not going to be that nice. But I was proven so wrong when I first saw it in person! It was a lot heavier, ornate and shiny than I thought it would be!

Yeah, I'm really blown away by this. The description of it on the Jelling Dragon site is "chunky", and it is.

By the way, I've had that Jelling Dragon site bookmarked for months. I've wanted to get a full-on, expensive bling-bling Hammer and necklace from them but $300+ to blow on a necklace isn't easy to come by or justify. :D Lol.

They have some nice stuff. The sterling silver hammers were way too expensive for me. I will probably get my drinking horn(s) from them.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Yeah, I'm really blown away by this. The description of it on the Jelling Dragon site is "chunky", and it is.

They have some nice stuff. The sterling silver hammers were way too expensive for me. I will probably get my drinking horn(s) from them.

I need to get a drinking horn, too! I want to set up an altar in my new bedroom since we have to move. I want to get idols of Thor, Odin, Freyr and Sunna and maybe some others. I'd just like some small wooden ones. I have to look around.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I need to get a drinking horn, too! I want to set up an altar in my new bedroom since we have to move. I want to get idols of Thor, Odin, Freyr and Sunna and maybe some others. I'd just like some small wooden ones. I have to look around.

I may eventually get some small wooden "aniconic idols" (huh? :areyoucra :p). I just have the one statue of Thor and the pictures I printed from the internet, and the brass items: the bowl, cup, candle and incense holders. Those are from Rudra Centre where I used to get my Hindu stuff. Might as well put it to good use. :D I was iffy about the hammer, but it was that proverbial sleeping on it that told me it's OK to use. I'm not going to get hung up on the externals like I did before. In fact, all I'm reciting during my mini-blót is this:

Invocation:
Hail Thor, Lord of the Hammer! Lord of the Storm, rumbling chariot that tears across the sky, Lord who speaks plainly and has no time for intrigue and subtle ploys, protector of the common man, warrior beloved by farmers, help us to untwist our tongues and speak the fiery truth, hurled blazing like a hammer-bolt across the open sky!

Hammer hallowing prayer:
Hail to Thunder faithful folk friend, wise world warder, Earth's famous son. Great god riding the vast sky's vault, battle proved Bear bedecked with stars.

As we hold high this holy hammer, let wicked wrights and evil etins, flee in terror from the fiery fierce searing splendor of your god-strength.

Beloved hallower of hall and hearth, grant us your gift and bless this home. Let us have joy, firm in friendship, strong in spirit, and true in troth.

Other prayers:
Hail Thor, show thy might,
Let thunder roar and lightning strike!
Hurl thy hammer into the fray,
And let thine enemies know fear this day!

Gods and Goddesses, Aesir and Vanir, I thank you for the blessings you have given me. I ask you to continue to bless me, and to help me face the decrees of the Norns with courage and honor. I ask you to help me do what is best for my faith, for my folk, and for my family, this and every day. Hail the High Ones! Hail Odin!

All-Father you gave me strength, may I use it; you gave me courage, may I follow it; you gave me wisdom, may I share it.

Hail Ancestors, hail Gods and Goddesses, Aesir and Vanir, hail kith and kin, and goodly spirits: please accept this offering.

Making the hammer sign*:
Odin, Balder, Freyr, Thor;
Guide my spirit forevermore.

* Probably a backlash against the Christian sign of the cross, made this way:

Touch forehead and say "Odin"; touch center of chest and say "Balder"; touch spot over your heart and say "Freyr"; touch right side of chest and say "Thor", "guide my spirit forevermore". This is an upside down T shape.

I use apple juice currently for the libation, but I ordered a bottle of mead from the liquor store. She only gets it when someone asks for it (slow moving item?).

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I got my brass hammer today. It's really nice. I had peanut butter slathered on the handle to get the sticky labels off. I may wrap the handle in leather straps. I think it's going to look awesome, front and center on the altar. :)

Anyway... I think I figured out what the binding runes are on the hammer pendant. They look to be algiz wunjo isa. If I read the descriptions correctly, they could mean divine protection (algiz), kinship, joy (wunjo), and coherence, reinforcement (isa). I know there are many interpretations of runes. If this is indeed what they are, then imo they are invoking Thor's protection as god, friend and kin.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Resurrected thread is resurrected. @Draka was on the right track in post #2. The bind rune is algiz, thurisaz, uruz. The strength, power and protection of Thor. I came to that conclusion from starting to dabble in bind runes and deciphering them in the context they are used. It takes a bit of contemplation... more than a bit, really. ;)

Toxikmynd

Demir
Resurrected thread is resurrected. @Draka was on the right track in post #2. The bind rune is algiz, thurisaz, uruz. The strength, power and protection of Thor. I came to that conclusion from starting to dabble in bind runes and deciphering them in the context they are used. It takes a bit of contemplation... more than a bit, really. ;)
Sweet! I was thinking if it wasn't a bind rune than maybe it was the creators signature symbol. Mind if I ask what you did with your old mjolnir?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Sweet! I was thinking if it wasn't a bind rune than maybe it was the creators signature symbol. Mind if I ask what you did with your old mjolnir?

I've had a couple of them. One is hanging from my rear view mirror along with the bind runes I burned for journey and vehicle protection, one tiny sterling silver one I sold, another small one hangs in my shrine, and I have a new large chunky silver one. And of course I have the brass-headed small sledge hammer on the altar itself. I think I've given new meaning to the phrase "I'm hammered". :D

The new one is over 30 g, sterling silver and really chunky. I have it on a 24" silver chain. I alternate wearing it with the gold one. I always wear them outside my shirt if it's a pullover. With an open collared shirt the chains are too short to stay over the shirt.

Gah! The image won't display.

Norse Viking Thors Hammer Sterling Silver Mens Pendant | eBay

Sees

Dragonslayer
I've had a couple of them. One is hanging from my rear view mirror along with the bind runes I burned for journey and vehicle protection, one tiny sterling silver one I sold, another small one hangs in my shrine, and I have a new large chunky silver one. And of course I have the brass-headed small sledge hammer on the altar itself. I think I've given new meaning to the phrase "I'm hammered". :D

The new one is over 30 g, sterling silver and really chunky. I have it on a 24" silver chain. I alternate wearing it with the gold one. I always wear them outside my shirt if it's a pullover. With an open collared shirt the chains are too short to stay over the shirt.

Gah! The image won't display.

Norse Viking Thors Hammer Sterling Silver Mens Pendant | eBay

Have you received any "nice mjölnir" comments yet? :D It's rare, but I get them out in public now and then

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually yes, a couple of times. I usually get a "wow that's really nice". Just to show off :D I pronounce it in Old Norse and get a o_O look.