• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apparently singing the National Anthem in the Capitol Building by a children's choir is deemed offensive, or is an unauthorized demonstration.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
If so, you can bet they are applied more rigorously since the Capitol Riot.
Yes. That's sensible givin the past events, but you cant deny for this particular case, it was just children singing the Star Spangled Banner.

PureX

Veteran Member
I generally like The Hill as a source. From the linked article..

'Capitol Police say singers from Rushingbrook Children’s Choir from Greenville, South Carolina, were stopped May 26 because of a miscommunication. Musical performances in the hallowed seat of Congress require permission, and police said officers had been unaware that the choir had approval from the House speaker.'
Oh, the moral OUTRAGE! :)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Be careful, she will throw her toys down, stomp out and put you on ignore for disagreeing!
And all I did was make a thread on children being stopped from singing the Star Spangled Banner at the Capitol by the police, and expressed my dissatisfaction over it.

HonestJoe

There are two variations of the story if you read multiple sources. It's why the title mentions both.
No, there is one "story", there are just a whole load of claims, allegations and speculation surrounding it. The question of it being stopped because "some people might find it offensive" (note, distinct from "deemed offensive") is a later third-hand claim with absolutely nothing backing it up. It also simply doesn't make any sense.

That any kind of performance within the Capitol requires prior authorisation is demonstrable (and common sense) and the idea of there being an legitimate miscommunication regarding that seems perfectly plausible. In situations like this, the explanation is much more likely to be cock-up than conspiracy.

You need to actually attention for once because you clearly don't read titles and sources, and just spew out whatever goes on inside your head without any basis.
My response was due to your choice of comments in the OP, which appears to assume the "deemed offensive" narrative and blames it on "the government" despite it involving Capitol police and individual politicians.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
And all I did was make a thread on children being stopped from singing the Star Spangled Banner at the Capitol by the police, and expressed my dissatisfaction over it.

That is a feeling. That makes you irrational. You are better than that as you are so enlightened that you ignore feelings and are purely objectively rational and with evidence. ;)
Now leave up to your worldview and transcend all feelings. ;)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

How absolutely wonderful we have the government we have today.

Warms the cockles of heart doesn't it?

The debate is clearly between people who love this country and those who don't. It's just that simple.

After having a look at your links, it seems like the debate is between people who read and those who don't.

Capitol Police say singers from Rushingbrook Children’s Choir from Greenville, South Carolina, were stopped May 26 because of a miscommunication. Musical performances in the hallowed seat of Congress require permission, and police said officers had been unaware that the choir had approval from the House speaker. Capitol Police denied choir leaders’ claims that the performance was stopped because it might be found offensive.

After stopping by Wilson’s office for photos, the group went on a tour of the Capitol that ended in Statuary Hall, famous for housing a collection of statues donated by each of the 50 states, where the choir began to perform. A visitor guide asked if they had permission for the show, Rasbach and Rea said, and told them they could start singing once he conferred with someone else.