• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apparently the Air Force was used to monitor the protesters while the police were busy spicing folk

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Okay the spicy sauce is one thing but using the military, in this case the air force might be a tad over the wire I think. Unless of course it's the Air National Guard so we'll have to find out those details first.

Air Force investigating use of surveillance planes in monitoring Minneapolis protests | MinnPost

Do you think people should be under surveillance in this fashion through the use of the military?

I'm kind of mixed myself because when you think of things like Google Earth and such and military satellites, it probably doesn't make much of a difference being the government has their eye on everybody anyways.

Is it upsetting to hear reports like this or do you think it's just par for course?

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Okay the spicy sauce is one thing but using the military, in this case the air force might be a tad over the wire I think. Unless of course it's the Air National Guard so we'll have to find out those details first.

Air Force investigating use of surveillance planes in monitoring Minneapolis protests | MinnPost

Do you think people should be under surveillance in this fashion through the use of the military?

I'm kind of mixed myself because when you think of things like Google Earth and such and military satellites, it probably doesn't make much of a difference being the government has their eye on everybody anyways.

Is it upsetting to hear reports like this or do you think it's just par for course?

Am I surprised? No.

Is it disturbing that law enforcement has become so militarized? Yes.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
No, the military should not be used to spy on American citizens inside the US. They should not have police responsibilities AT ALL.

This administration has persistently tried to overstep the constitutional and legal lines delimiting its power.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

No, although it hasn't stopped the NSA (which is part of the Department of Defense).

Nothing fazes me about what the government does. I assume they're doing things like this all the time, no matter if anyone reports it or not.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member

I think that it used to be more upsetting than it is now, but with the advent of the Patriot Act many years ago, it has because me more and more common place. Especially now that so many people put their lives completely up on social media.

Twilight Hue

Between the two, I think I would rather be looked at from a plane than be pepper sprayed.
I've been exposed to CS gas about four times when I was in the military. From a strictly tactical standpoint, I think CS will be the better alternative although it may not feel like it for a while. That stuff stays with you and your clothes for a bit unlike surveillance, where you'll probably be put on some kind of a record in some database somewhere for probably forever.

esmith

Veteran Member
The Army or Air Force National Guard is under the direction of the Governor of a State unless they have been federalized.
However, I do not see anyone rights be violated by being under surveillance in a public area. All law enforcement entities have and do use drones for surveillance.
However, if it was the U.S. Air Force not the Air Force National Guard then someone is in trouble

Twilight Hue

The Army or Air Force National Guard is under the direction of the Governor of a State unless they have been federalized.
However, I do not see anyone rights be violated by being under surveillance in a public area. All law enforcement entities have and do use drones for surveillance.
However, if it was the U.S. Air Force not the Air Force National Guard then someone is in trouble
The thing that gets me is why a military aircraft rather than a something like say a police helicopter?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
The thing that gets me is why a military aircraft rather than a something like say a police helicopter?
Or just a quiet little drone flying a grid taking pics?
All the time, day and night, just taking pics and uploading to a database.

Hundreds of them, over every city, quietly keeping track of everything anybody does outdoors, while social media bots quietly, unobtrusively, keep track of everything that people do indoors.

Ha ha ha....
I find it a hoot when people think that their guns are going to protect them from the government.
Tom

Twilight Hue

Or just a quiet little drone flying a grid taking pics?
All the time, day and night, just taking pics and uploading to a database.

Hundreds of them, over every city, quietly keeping track of everything anybody does outdoors, while social media bots quietly, unobtrusively, keep track of everything that people do indoors.

Ha ha ha....
I find it a hoot when people think that their guns are going to protect them from the government.
Tom
Actually I think technology eventually will prove to be far worse than guns ever will be.

I take before long, guns will be made completely obsolete and become replaced with new more efficient technology.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Actually I think technology eventually will prove to be far worse than guns ever will be.

I take before long, guns will be made completely obsolete and become replaced with new more efficient technology.
Or plastic.

How many people could survive a month if they had no plastic? Had to pay cash for everything?
And what would those people do if the government turned off their access to the digital economy? Grow their own carrots?
Tom

Shaul

Premium Member
Nor should our intelligence services be used to spy on U.S. citizens for merely exercising their Constitutional rights. Like in 2016 when they were used for political purposes to spy on the campaign of Donald Trump.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Like in 2016 when they were used for political purposes to spy on the campaign of Donald Trump.
What are you talking about here?

It sounds like the lie Trump told about his campaign headquarters being wiretapped by Obama.
What actually happened is that Trump hired an international criminal under investigation by the FBI, and the investigation didn't end just because Trump hired him, Manaforte. The investigation continued and ended with conviction.

Trump hired a criminal. Then blamed the government for investigating the criminal.
Tom

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I've been exposed to CS gas about four times when I was in the military. From a strictly tactical standpoint, I think CS will be the better alternative although it may not feel like it for a while. That stuff stays with you and your clothes for a bit unlike surveillance, where you'll probably be put on some kind of a record in some database somewhere for probably forever.
Point taken.

esmith

Veteran Member
Well first of all we do not know if it was a "military" type of aircraft.
All the article says is "it is being investigated" yet you seem to have jumped to the conclusion that it was a military type of aircraft.
How about trying to be just a little bit more honest in the title of your post.

Dan From Smithville

"We are both impressed and daunted." Cargn
Staff member
Premium Member
Well first of all we do not know if it was a "military" type of aircraft.
All the article says is "it is being investigated" yet you seem to have jumped to the conclusion that it was a military type of aircraft.
How about trying to be just a little bit more honest in the title of your post.
Isn't a surveillance plane that is used by the Airforce, a military aircraft?

esmith

Veteran Member
Isn't a surveillance plane that is used by the Airforce, a military aircraft?
Yes, but no where in the article linked does it say it was a military aircraft. Here is the gist of the article.

The aircraft was not a U.S. Air Force aircraft it was
West Virginia Air National Guard had sent a RC-26 with “FMV capabilities” to monitor the protests in the District.
Arkansas Air National Guard was sent to monitor protests in Minneapolis, with another RC-26 being sent to the city from Wisconsin,
above from:
Internal watchdog investigating if Air Force improperly used plane to surveil protests: report

Therefore the OP was wrong in saying that it was a U.S. Air Force aircraft and the "The Hill" was wrong in saying it was a U.S. Air Force aircraft.