• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Archeaological evidence for the Bible

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Thanks, autodidact. Very interesting stuff. I appreciate you taking the time to post all this. I will be looking into more geological evidence as time allows me.
May I suggest that you do so through Geology sources, rather than anti-geology ones? What I mean is, there is no such thing as creationist science. There are not two schools of scientific thought, old earth and YEC. YEC by its very nature is anti-science. The consensus of modern scientific thought is that the earth is 4.56 billion years old and has never experienced a global flood.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I guess you'd have to conclude then from the evidence offered that there are indeed giants in evidence today which could presuppose them evident in the past which makes the story of David and Goliath highly probable.
There are indeed modern giants, and there is no reason to suppose that there were not giants in the past. The story of David and Goliath is at least (somewhat) possible. It does not make it any more probable.

What we have no evidence of is a race of giants.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Scripture states that the windows of heaven were opened at the beginning of the flood and when the waters were assuaged that they returned from off the earth. It would seem from this language that the water needed came from heaven and returned there.

And where exactly is heaven?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I started on page 44 post #437I was going back to a point brought up in post #407 "I'm sorry, but those skeletons of giants you may have heard of are hoaxes... There have never been any actual human giant skeletons." I was pointing out that there are giants alive today as a starting place as the tone seemed to suggest that Goliath was a myth because giants don't exist.
It depends what you mean by giant. Over ten feel tall, yes, hoaxes. Not a single verified specimen in existence anywhere. Do you know where there is one we could examine?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Hope: Have you clicked on the Glenn Morton link yet? I don't want to make assumptions, but I'm guessing that you might be more open to hearing this stuff from a lifelong Christian than an atheist like myself. He is another person who assumed that YEC and the flood was true, and was confounded by the evidence.

camanintx

- the diameter of the Earth at the equator is 12,756.32 km. The diameter at the poles is slightly less: 12,715.43 km. If you were to assume that the Earth was a perfect sphere with the smaller diameter, it would still take 15,238,256 cubic kilometers of water to cover the surface to a depth of 3 meters (assumed arbitrarily but conservatively as the minimum depth that would kill all tall animals). Even for this lower limit, that's too much water to just come from aquifers. Where did all the water come from, and where did it go?

While I also doubt there was ever a global flood, this argument against it doesn't hold water (pardon the pun). The volume of Earth's oceans are estimated at 1.37 billion cubic km which would cover the Earth to a depth of 2.68 km if it were a perfect sphere.

Hope

Princesinha
Hope: Have you clicked on the Glenn Morton link yet? I don't want to make assumptions, but I'm guessing that you might be more open to hearing this stuff from a lifelong Christian than an atheist like myself. He is another person who assumed that YEC and the flood was true, and was confounded by the evidence.

Yes. I read it.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
And where exactly is heaven?
Beyond Space.
"And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters. And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so." Genesis 1:6-7

The firmament is space:
" And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years: And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so. And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth..." Genesis 1:14-17

These scriptures also shhow that space divided the waters from above from the waters from below. Ergo, the Bible has an explanation as to where enough water came from in order to flood the earth. The windows of heaven were opened.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Beyond Space.
"And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters. And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so." Genesis 1:6-7

The firmament is space:
" And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years: And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so. And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth..." Genesis 1:14-17

These scriptures also shhow that space divided the waters from above from the waters from below. Ergo, the Bible has an explanation as to where enough water came from in order to flood the earth. The windows of heaven were opened.

Again, where is heaven exactly?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
It's a last line of defense and judging from the postceeding post unrelenting.

You might want to take a little peek at your own behavior, sandy; it's less than exemplary. Someone in this thread has been hurling insults, and it wasn't me.

btw, what exactly is it that you think I'm ignorant of?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
wait a sec... are you saying the water for the flood came from outer space?

I just want to make sure I got this right.

wa:do

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Again, where is heaven exactly?
I believe that you are again trying to apply the rules one thing to another just as you try and apply the rules of science to religion in a debate forum. As long as you continue this you will fail to gain any understanding. The rules of the universe do not apply to the non-universe. Nevertheless, the answer I previously gave is the correct answer to your question.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Don't get ahead of yourself. I think you've got a ways to go before you reach "plausible", to say nothing of "probable". ;)
Oh heck, I suppose I'll give you that.
Yet...........
According to Merriam Webster's online dictionary plausible means:
"superficially fair, reasonable, or valuable but often specious."

So I might say that since David existed and "giants" exist, and there is a written account of the incident, that it could be said to be superficially fair, reasonable, or valuable but specious.