• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are all gods myths???

outhouse

Atheistically
Since the beginning of mankind there have been thousands of gods

most of us claim the ancient gods are all myths, what makes the current regime of many gods not myths???

Its a landslide of myth gods over those percieved to be real but we dont dare call someones god a myth, in my opinion, though most are just that "myths"

We all claim another god as myth, does this not make all gods myths????

except for the minority that follows and has faith in, they are myths in my opinion.

The few gods left, no one can come together on, even the people that follow one god cannot agree on what it is they believe. Wars are fought and people die over different views of one god let alone the THOSE who die in wars of different gods.

In time, the current beliefs may go the wayside and become myths but for now we have to be carefull how we use this term "myth"

Last edited:

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Whether or not all gods are myths really can't be answered. Since the belief in a god relies on faith, and there is no evidence either way, there really can be no suitable answer to the question in which you suppose.

It could be just as possible as all gods being myths as that all gods are nothing more than forms of one supreme being.

0zyzzyz0

Murphy's Law is the TOE.
It all depends on what definitions are used.

I often use the example of my dog. His name is doG, and if I define a god as being my dog, DoG, then my dog, doG, is that god. He just doesn't happen to have any mystical qualities. He is real, and therefore not mythical.

I could ascribe all sorts of qualities to him and maybe make extravagant claims as to his abilities and character, but the truth or varacity of those claims would be independent of whether or not he is in fact a god. If people choose to collectively accept that being a good dog is equitable to being something we would agree to call a god, then by accepted definition good dogs would be gods. The terms would be synonymous and we would, in effect, be able to creat gods through some semantic trickery at will as we ascribe meanings to words.

If, on another paw, someone posits the existence of a god defined in such a way that it cannot logically be possible for it to actually exist, then an hypothesis that that god is real would be a failed hypothesis. Such would be the case also for any conceived of god dependent on spiritual or mystical defining characteristics as intrinsic to its existence.

Any logically impossible god is a mythical god. [.]

bhaktajan

If it looks like a myth, and walk likes a myth...

Especially the ones that arrive via transmission systems that we know nothing about
[because we were smoking pot in the school yard] in the esoteric language of zeros & ones ---that form images of anonymous naked women copulating.

"This is your myth"
6a00d8341c630a53ef01310f440e9c970c-800wi

"Say Good Night Gracie"

outhouse

Atheistically
It could be just as possible as all gods being myths as that all gods are nothing more than forms of one supreme being

excellent reply

I would buy this except many myths were based on things not a mythical supreme power/s.

Take the saturn god, in which saturday got its name. This was not a person or being so to speak. Are not may myths wrapped around things and places and not a deity?

EverChanging

I consider them myths, but I like myths. I also think the understanding of a myth as something "false" is a rather shallow definition, but I agree that myths are not what we consider facts or history in the modern sense.

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
Unfortunately contemporary use of "myth" is monomythic or used exclusively as a term to divide the existent from the non-existent when it's better used in describing the multitude of cultural expressions through ritual, the origin(s) of morality, stories that explain humanity's place in the world not as a literal or historical explanation, but an explanation that provides meaning and (as Malinowski argued) encourages social cohesion or as Levi-Strauss emphasized myths unveil the archetypes of the human mind and reflect the shared concerns and fears and hopes of Homo sapiens regardless their cultural background. All gods are myths in that myths are human explanations of the human experience.

Having said all that crap, Crom ain't no ****ing myth. No way no how.

outhouse

Atheistically
Unfortunately contemporary use of "myth" is monomythic or used exclusively as a term to divide the existent from the non-existent when it's better used in describing the multitude of cultural expressions through ritual, the origin(s) of morality, stories that explain humanity's place in the world not as a literal or historical explanation, but an explanation that provides meaning and (as Malinowski argued) encourages social cohesion or as Levi-Strauss emphasized myths unveil the archetypes of the human mind and reflect the shared concerns and fears and hopes of Homo sapiens regardless their cultural background. All gods are myths in that myths are human explanations of the human experience.

Having said all that crap, Crom ain't no ****ing myth. No way no how.

I have heard myth should not be used when talking about religion.

EverChanging

Exactly. Thank you.

EverChanging

I have heard myth should not be used when talking about religion.

That's because the word "myth," as it is commonly used in modern times, has been stripped of its more nuanced meaning, which has in large part contributed to fundamentalism and literalism.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Since the beginning of mankind there have been thousands of gods

most of us claim the ancient gods are all myths, what makes the current regime of many gods not myths???

Its a landslide of myth gods over those percieved to be real but we dont dare call someones god a myth, in my opinion, though most are just that "myths"

We all claim another god as myth, does this not make all gods myths????

except for the minority that follows and has faith in, they are myths in my opinion.

The few gods left, no one can come together on, even the people that follow one god cannot agree on what it is they believe. Wars are fought and people die over different views of one god let alone the THOSE who die in wars of different gods.

In time, the current beliefs may go the wayside and become myths but for now we have to be carefull how we use this term "myth"
Yes, gods depicted in things like the Qur'an and Bible are myths.

Is every single god a myth? Perhaps not, but the human-like ones with intricate stories and various dogmatic concepts almost certainly all are.