• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are ANY of the arguments convincing?

I've spent so much time around the internet learning more about why Christians think what they do, and just about never have I seen anything that remotely convinces me of the veracity of the Christian faith. And when I question their arguments to the extent where they can no longer form a logical reply, their course of action is either to get rude/angry at me, to leave/ignore me, or to reply "I have faith."

I'm not going to go into faith straight away, I'll deal with that later.

There are a HELL of a lot of arguments for God's existence. Some of them are empirical arguments, i.e they try to argue on a basis of physical evidence for God's existence, others are rationalistic arguments, i.e. they purely use reason to argue that God exists. Pascal used a probabilistic argument: it makes more sense to believe that God exists than not.

I'm gonna briefly examine as many of them as I can and explain why they don't convince me.

The teleological argument
There is apparent design in the universe, and if something gives off qualities of design, there must be a designer, i.e. a creator, i.e. God.
Problems
1) The mere fact that everything must have a designer does not mean that the designer is the Biblical God. It could be anything.
2) There is no concrete evidence that the universe requires a designer. The analogy that William Paley used was a watch. Whereas a watch does necessarily have a designer, why does that mean the universe does?
3) The teleological argument was formed before Darwinian evolution was known about, which better explains apparent design anyway.

The ontological argument
If we can conceive of something of which nothing greater can be conceived (St. Anselm) or a "perfect being" (Descartes) then for that thing to be absolutely perfect it would have to exist; i.e. it exists by definition.
Problems
1) I can conceive of anything that is absolutely perfect but that wouldn't mean it exists. The argument can be applied unsuccessfully to anything.
2) Once again, this "perfect being" is not necessarily God.

Pascal's Wager
If God doesn't exist and you believe in him then you've not lost much, and if he doesn't exist but you don't believe in him anyway, then you've made no loss still. But if you don't believe in God and he exists then you face eternal punishment ahead, and if you do believe in him, you get an everlasting reward in heaven. Therefore it's wise to believe he exists.
Problems
1) Atheists aren't interested in the threat of hell vs. heaven because they by definition do not believe that heaven or hell exists.
2) If you believe in God but he doesn't exist, you HAVE made a big loss; you've spent your life believing and praising a deity that doesn't exist in preparation for the afterlife which isn't there.
3) If you believe in God because it would be "wise to", then that is not sincere belief and God would see through you anyway.

The Bible

The Bible talks of God, therefore he must exist as the Bible is true because:
  • Prophecies have been fulfilled.
  • It's the word of God.
  • The Bible Code shows that there is a significance to it.
  • Why would someone lie about it?
  • It changes lives.
  • Millions of people believe sincerely in it.
Problems
1) The Bible is not an absolute authority because it is incongruent, and the contradictions in the texts are too readily dismissed as "misinterpretations".
2) On the above point, the translation of the Bible is so vague that even today references have to be made back to the original Hebrew to sort out disputes about the true meaning of it.
3) The Bible also encourages things like stoning or ostracising for petty offences.
4) It also mentions dozens of uncorroborated miraculous events like walking on water, healing the sick, raising the dead, and the feeding of the 5,000, which we know to be impossible according to science.
5) It was written 2,000 years ago without the scientific knowledge we have today, which far better explains the world.
6) That it changes lives has no impact on it's veracity.
7) The Bible Code is just another example of reading meaning into something where there is none.
8) There are any number of reasons someone could make it up; e.g for power or fame.

The fine-tuning argument
If the constants that require human life on Earth to have arose were even slightly different, it would not have happened. Our existence is so improbable that we must have been "fine-tuned" by a creator.
Problems
1) Like the other arguments, this doesn't specify who the "fine-tuner" is.
2) There are perfectly ordinary events which are completely improbable, like the outcome of 2,000 coin tosses. Only you wouldn't question that outcome at all, even though just 1,000 coin tosses in a row would require a 1 in 2^1000 chance of getting that particular sequence (2^1000 is 303 digits long.)
3) Just because something is improbable, doesn't make it impossible.
4) If the constants HAD been different, there would likely be another species marvelling at the improbability of their existence. The world is not tailored to humans.

The proof-burden shift
Atheists have no evidence that God doesn't exist.
Problems
1) We don't need any, you need to provide evidence that he does.

The arguments from emotion
  • God changed my life. (Argument by anecdote)
  • There is beauty in the world, this could not have arose by chance. (Probabilistic argument from beauty)
  • How can you look at the stars in the night sky and not believe he exists? (Argument from incredulity)
  • Christianity helps lives all over the world. You wouldn't want to take that away from them, would you? (Argument from guilt)
  • God makes me feel better.
Problems
1) Many different religions change lives, that doesn't change whether they are true or false.
2) The existence of beauty does not necessitate a creator. Beauty is subjective.
3) Incredulousness at our inability to interpret beauty as signs that God exist also changes nothing.
4) Religions of all shapes and sizes help people, and whether they do or don't makes no difference as to whether they are true.
5) It may be comforting to believe God exists, but once more... that does not mean he does.

The first-cause argument
Everything is caused, therefore the universe must have a cause. This cause is God. But God is an uncaused cause.
Problem
1) There is no compelling reason to believe that God is the first-cause.
2) The argument is self-contradicting in that cause-and-effect is established as a law and then arbitrarily broken as God is established as an uncaused cause.
3) If we can decide that up to a certain point, there is one uncaused cause, why can the universe not be uncaused? Why not stop there?
4) Cause-and-effect is not necessarily a law.

There are so many more arguments. This is just a glimpse at some of the biggest arguments used by the religious. And for the reasons you can see above, I don't find ANY of them remotely convincing.

What do you think? Do any of these convince you? Is there something I'm missing? Is there actually any argument for God's existence that would stand up to scrutiny that isn't "faith"?

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
I find none of those arguments convincing, or even reasonable.
And in honest disclosure, many Deists still cling to the last argument. (First Cause)

Simple: evidence. A high degree of irrefutable evidence.

I'm neither an empiricist nor a rationalist. I believe that absolute knowledge derives from BOTH reason and sense. While reason on its own, and sense on its own can both give us a fairly good picture of something, it's only when we combine the two that we can have 99% certainty about something.

There are arguments from reason that God exists, and these are inadequate. Then there are arguments from experience that God exists, and so are these. And then there are the empirical arguments like the design argument, and so too are these insufficient to me.

A divine manifestation of God himself before me, with absolutely no way that I could be hallucinating; i.e. there were a number of independent, unbiased and equally unhallucinating witnesses there to record the manifestation, THAT would convince me.

And because we don't know that that's ever happened, I remain unconvinced.

astarath

I am the experience one for sure. I would say because you have never experienced it there is difficulty for you to examine it. Just because many religions have religious experiences does not elminate it as faulty. Perhaps a personal religious experience would alter your opinion or offer you additional insight.

1AOA1

A divine manifestation of God himself before me, with absolutely no way that I could be hallucinating; i.e. there were a number of independent, unbiased and equally unhallucinating witnesses there to record the manifestation, THAT would convince me.

:confused:Doesnt this go against

-There are a number of reasons someone could make it up eg: fame (They wrote corroborating accounts because you promised them a large sum of money)

-It is was written 2000 years ago without the scientific knowledge we have today which far better explains the world (What you saw is far better explained by science 2000 years from now)

-Atheists have no evidence that God doesn't exist.
We don't need any, you need to provide evidence that he does

(We have no evidence that you are not fully aware and hallucinating.
We don't need any, you need to provide evidence that you are.)

:confused:Doesnt this go against

-There are a number of reasons someone could make it up eg: fame (They wrote corroborating accounts because you promised them a large sum of money)

-It is was written 2000 years ago without the scientific knowledge we have today which far better explains the world (What you saw is far better explained by science 2000 years from now)

-Atheists have no evidence that God doesn't exist.
We don't need any, you need to provide evidence that he does

(We have no evidence that you are not fully aware and hallucinating.
We don't need any, you need to provide evidence that you are.)

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand. Are you saying that I need to give evidence that I'm not hallucinating?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
What do you think? Do any of these convince you? Is there something I'm missing? Is there actually any argument for God's existence that would stand up to scrutiny that isn't "faith"?
Not those ones, no, but then for many of them, their purpose isn't to "convince." The ontological argument, for instance, it's purpose is to compose a logical proof of god. As such, it not only assumes "god," but a particular image of "god".

Personally, I think the best way to approach acquiring an image of "god" isn't through argument, but through poetry. Once "god" is defined for oneself, belief follows.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
You can't prove if god exists or doesn't exist. For several reason's it is impossible.

So you could say its the _________'s responsiblity to provide the evidence not mine.

This just doesn't work. You have the responsiblity to provide the evidence and you won't be able to do it.

You can take on religion's because they are described by written word and have there own definitions of god. In my case what would be the point of that, but you may want to.

Best thing to do is offer suggestions to people who really want to know and if you want for fun, throw it down with somebody of an oppisite view just to get your debating skills better.

Have fun on the site

1AOA1 -

Ah. That's fair enough. But I would imagine that more hinges on the existence of God than my lucidity. It's a general principle to trust that people with whom you are conversing are sane otherwise you wouldn't be able to communicate. Whereas with the issue of God, there is far less evidence and far less reason to trust.

Last edited:

Man of Faith

You missed an argument, the personal relationship argument:
If you had a friend and they came over one day, spent the day with you, you cooked dinner for them, watched a movie, etc... Then they left and an atheist came over say a year later and said, "Prove to me that you aren't delusional that your really have this friend.”

What would you do? You would want to introduce the atheist to your friend. That is what the Christian wants to do, yet the atheist scoffs and jeers and doesn’t want to meet this imaginary friend. “do you know the tooth fairy also” he says. They will never meet the friend because of their attitude. Now they will never know your wonderful friend.

RitalinO.D.

You missed an argument, the personal relationship argument:
If you had a friend and they came over one day, spent the day with you, you cooked dinner for them, watched a movie, etc... Then they left and an atheist came over say a year later and said, "Prove to me that you aren't delusional that your really have this friend.”

What would you do? You would want to introduce the atheist to your friend. That is what the Christian wants to do, yet the atheist scoffs and jeers and doesn’t want to meet this imaginary friend. “do you know the tooth fairy also” he says. They will never meet the friend because of their attitude. Now they will never know your wonderful friend.

This is assuming the person had some desire to convince the atheist that the friend existed. He may not care if the atheist believed or not. What he said in the OP is that if god had materialized to him, and he knew for sure that he wasnt hallucinating, that he would believe. He doesn't have to prove that to anyone else. He would just join the rest of the believing population, having solid proof of God (in his eyes at least), as opposed to the silly arguments he listed. This is no different than the rest of the people that have claimed to have seen God. It made them believers, but certainly hasn't done much in the way of providing proof to others.

All he did was explain what it would take for him to believe, nothing more.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I am the experience one for sure. I would say because you have never experienced it there is difficulty for you to examine it. Just because many religions have religious experiences does not elminate it as faulty. Perhaps a personal religious experience would alter your opinion or offer you additional insight.

I would be happy to agree with that except for one snag. What specific identifiable quality or capability is it that you have, that others simply don't have of which in using validates your statement as being truthful and accurate?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Well, Mr. Futile Crush, the reason you have problems is because no Christian is trying to convince YOU of believing anything, just trying to explain why he or she believes. ;) That is about all any of we Christians can do. :) (At least, that is true for me).
By the way, welcome to the forum.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
The proof-burden shift
Atheists have no evidence that God doesn't exist.
Problems
1) We don't need any, you need to provide evidence that he does.
Depends on who is making the positive claim... if you were to start a debate with "God does not exist", the burden of proof would be on you.

The first-cause argument
Everything is caused, therefore the universe must have a cause. This cause is God. But God is an uncaused cause.
Problem
1) There is no compelling reason to believe that God is the first-cause.
2) The argument is self-contradicting in that cause-and-effect is established as a law and then arbitrarily broken as God is established as an uncaused cause.
3) If we can decide that up to a certain point, there is one uncaused cause, why can the universe not be uncaused? Why not stop there?
4) Cause-and-effect is not necessarily a law.
The argument is not that everything is caused, but that everything that begins to exist is caused.