• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Atheists More Immoral than Non-Atheists?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The following exchange happened in another thread:

Sunstone said:
It doesn't take an atheist to sin, Eddy. In fact, many believers do a very good job of it without converting to atheism.

Eddy Daze said:
I know , (only too well), but i see it like this analogy , I sometimes break the law but I know the law is there I accept that, whereas an atheist is claiming ignorance of the laws and spreading the word that no police force exists, but we will both be punished for committing the crime, and I think I have the better chance of stopping my sins in future, and I will not be converting people to sinners.

Do you think Eddy is right to imply atheists are generally less moral than non-atheists?

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
Do you think Eddy is right to imply atheists are generally less moral than non-atheists?

Yes..
But only because eddy takes his own morals in account wich are different from atheist morals. Of course the law and religion share a lot of morals, but not all of them..

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
No I don't agree. Right and wrong are more deeply embeded in our minds than mere conscious religiosity.
Conscious religion is like the surface of the ocean. Knowledge of right and wrong comes from the depths. That is why I believe right and wrong are so difficult to nail down in conscious formulae.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Originally Posted by Eddy Daze
I know , (only too well), but i see it like this analogy , I sometimes break the law but I know the law is there I accept that, whereas an atheist is claiming ignorance of the laws and spreading the word that no police force exists, but we will both be punished for committing the crime, and I think I have the better chance of stopping my sins in future, and I will not be converting people to sinners.
The problem I see here, is the belief in an absolute system of morality for everyone. how can one fit 6 billion individuals, countless cultures and ethnic groups into this frame?

also, an Atheist does not claim ignorance of the law, I as a secular man, believe my morality is a bit more flexible in the sense that its more of my customized common sense and logic, than a system of morality. where others may see moral dilemmas I see a network of circumstances.

Last edited:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Humans are different: in that, they are all alike. I would argue that if "sin" is separation from "God" then as, for the atheist, there is no "God", there is also no "sin", no "punishment" for "sin", etc.

One could turn Eddy's argument around and point out that the theist lives in ignorance that there is no "God" and no "law" apart from what he has imagined.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
One could turn Eddy's argument around and point out that the theist lives in ignorance that there is no "God" and no "law" apart from what he has imagined.
Thats a good point. for example what happens when your religious ideologies are above the law? or make it impossible for you to have normal relations with people from other groups, because their 'sense of morality' does not share the same values as yours?

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
The following exchange happened in another thread:

I certainly hope so......:flirt:...I'm counting on it....
I don't think being an atheist makes anyone less moral than anyone else. They just don't believe in God.
I have known many non atheists that are schemers, cheats, liars and hypocrites, at least most Atheist don't pretend to be something their not.......:D

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist

Exactly. Eddy's concept of morality is essentially authoritarian. If the authority he subscribes to is imaginary, then his morality rests on mental quicksand. People like to use the term "objective morality", but there is no objective method for coming to know it. Hence, moral objectivism becomes moral subjectivism in denial.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I haven't experienced anything in my life to think that atheists are any more or less moral than religious people. Most people fall into the same range of "moral" regardless and you rarely encounter people on one extreme or the other.

Obviously, if one is defining all sorts of arbitrary things as "moral" or "immoral", then anyone not following your rules could be defined as immoral. I'm defining "moral" basically as the golden rule.

As an aside, if there are people that truly believe the rules in a religious text are the only reason to be moral, then I'm glad we have religious texts for them to keep the rest of us safe.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Judging by the track record of most televangelists, I'm going to say no.

Alceste

Vagabond
I think I'm too tired of religious people pretending their personal beliefs represent an objective reality to comment, beyond saying there is no comparison between the laws of "God", which are inherently subjective, and the laws of "man", which are objective, at least in the sense that if you break the laws of man, man will often seek retribution and display it for all to see. I've yet to spot God doing this.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Yes..
But only because eddy takes his own morals in account wich are different from atheist morals. Of course the law and religion share a lot of morals, but not all of them..

Actually, the sad part is I don't even think Christians are more moral even just according to their moral code. I'd say it's about even, unless you add in belief in God and beliefs about homosexuality. Otherwise, I'd say atheists abide by the Christian morality as much as Christians do.

Obvioulsy, it's patently false that atheists are more immoral than theists. The whole "denying the law..." argument from Eddy makes no sense. He's denying Hindu law as much as an atheist is denying the Christian law. Most of the laws Christians go by are also American laws, even concerning homosexuality, so it's kind of hard to deny them anyway.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
... at least in the sense that if you break the laws of man, man will often seek retribution and display it for all to see. I've yet to spot God doing this.

Obviously you haven't been paying attention to the Westboro Baptist Church very well, then. :D

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
OOH! Has God finally taken out retribution on them? Is it on YouTube??? I'd pay to see it!

No, silly. God has taken retribution on gay people and gay advocates. For instance, didn't you know that's why Heath Ledger is dead, because he portrayed a gay man in a movie? (Never mind the fact that his partner in the movie, Jake Gyllenhaal, is still alive) I mean, if that's not proof of God's retribution, then I don't know what is!

J Bryson

Let's not forget some self-professed Christians stating that 9/11 and Katrina were God's retribution for the wickedness of America.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Let's not forget some self-professed Christians stating that 9/11 and Katrina were God's retribution for the wickedness of America.
I thought Katrina was because of some huge wheel in the sky...

Wish I could remember the details...

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
NO. NO. NO. There are good and bad of equal amounts in all peoples as a group. Religious, Non Religious, Men, Woman, and of course different ethnicities. But the average person is the quite one not challenging the world with their beliefs going by and suviving happily. How many of your friends do you really know their beliefs. Do you always challenge them are they good people.

You are speaking to the few who for some reason either seek knowledge or want to change the world. They do not represent the average which is average for everyone.