• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Atheists More Immoral than Non-Atheists?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Even religious people have a "cause and effect". For example, at a young age (preschool) you learn that if you hit a peer, the peer will hit you back. We also learn that if we share a toy, a peer is more likely to share with you. We learn this well before we learn any faith. (Who has faith when he or she is only 3 or 4 years old, or even if they do, they also believe in Santa, the Easter Bunny, and fairies, etc :D )

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Even religious people have a "cause and effect". For example, at a young age (preschool) you learn that if you hit a peer, the peer will hit you back. We also learn that if we share a toy, a peer is more likely to share with you. We learn this well before we learn any faith. (Who has faith when he or she is only 3 or 4 years old, or even if they do, they also believe in Santa, the Easter Bunny, and fairies, etc :D )

Exactly. I wasn't implying that theists didn't apply logic, just that belief in a god isn't a necessary component of morality. Some people like to imply atheists are somehow reckless sociopaths because they don't worry about god spanking their bottom.

logician

Religion has little to do with morality, and certainly has no corner on morality, I would venture to say that morality comes from within, and atheists, tending to be rationalists more that theist, have a "higher" sense of morals that most theists.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Religion has little to do with morality, and certainly has no corner on morality, I would venture to say that morality comes from within, and atheists, tending to be rationalists more that theist, have a "higher" sense of morals that most theists.
1231.gif

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Moral relativism is a half baked theory, and I mean that literally; moral relativism is only half the story.

So, someone actually wrote down the theory, put it in a pan, put it in the oven and baked it for some length of time? Or did you mean something like "and I mean that truly"?

Also, moral relativism only says that each person has their own morality based on their unique interpretation of the world.

logician

You need present a coherent argument first......
The one you presented that I have laughed at is nothing more than a self tooting horn.

Morals (laws and such) are a reasoned approach to running a society.Atheists tend to take a more reasoned approached to morals than the "fear-of-god" factor used by theists. Remove man's laws from society and see how long "religion" maintains social order.

Now got toot your own horn elsewhere.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Morals (laws and such) are a reasoned approach to running a society.Atheists tend to take a more reasoned approached to morals than the "fear-of-god" factor used by theists. Remove man's laws from society and see how long "religion" maintains social order.

Wow.
You really like playing word games, don't you.
One, morals are not the same as laws.
Two, who's reasoning?
Three, your last sentence is based upon your faulty premise that morals are laws.

I forget the name of the definition switching tactic you attempted, but I can look it up if you want.

Alceste

Vagabond

I disagree that reason alone is the force behind the morals of atheists, or that "laws and such" are the manifestation of this moral reasoning.

I think empathy (or lack of it) is the primary force behind our ethics, whether we are religious or not. Reason only helps us justify and explain what conscience drives us to feel, whether or not we believe in a deity. The supernatural is an added element in the moral justification of believers that atheists don't have to struggle to fit in (which, ime, makes our explanations more logically elegant), but the morals themselves are fabricated in the same place in all of us. The ability to construct a more elegant or coherent explanation of ethics does not equate to superior morals in practice. After all, the point of morals lies in what you do, not what you think.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I disagree that reason alone is the force behind the morals of atheists, or that "laws and such" are the manifestation of this moral reasoning.

I think empathy (or lack of it) is the primary force behind our ethics, whether we are religious or not. Reason only helps us justify and explain what conscience drives us to feel, whether or not we believe in a deity. The supernatural is an added element in the moral justification of believers that atheists don't have to struggle to fit in (which, ime, makes our explanations more logically elegant), but the morals themselves are fabricated in the same place in all of us. The ability to construct a more elegant or coherent explanation of ethics does not equate to superior morals in practice. After all, the point of morals lies in what you do, not what you think.
This makes much more sense to me.

PS
Remind me that I owe you frubals for the quoted post.

Bishadi

sorry, didn't read all the posts before responding. Kind of reactionary and being disclosed there of.

Do you think Eddy is right to imply atheists are generally less moral than non-atheists?
NO.

Are Atheists More Immoral than Non-Atheists?

Hell NO.

When 2 people interact for the first time. White man/Indians for example.... neither know anything of the others God's.

Most know the 'white' man God.. (not being biased, just the scenario)... as this frame shares the 10 commandments.

The indigenous live but their laws bound to 'mother earth'.

To each other they know nothing of what this means or purely what the others find 'absolute'.

Now i ask, who lied to who and could care less about the other because of the very 'worldly' view of priorities?

Look up history, watch a few TV shows........ any can see what choices were made

In some histories they say the indigenous were savage, with no religion but i beg to differ.

Honor, integrity, truth and willing to die by what they represent is the core of what mankind is. (Honest by nature)

Where as in some religions, many don't hold them principles because they believe they have a way out by following a belief rather than the core rules of mankind.

We all expect, to be observed with equality; not hitting spitting stealing and wife mulling. We all expect (at least face to face) to be told the truth when we interact.

If i say... 'i am a muslim' ... on TV....... in the west, how many will judge me, before i complete the next sentence?

as much irresponsible moral conduct has evolved within the societies of bias and beliefs................

i would trust the word of an atheist EVERY DAY of the week over a religius person (don't care the religion), because the believers will often lie just to remain a part of the club. Such as in business it is easy to lie for the marketing. Such as, to defend a domain, most any will lie.... these are what laxidazy moral conduct religions will allow...........

How many presidents have put their hand on the bible, took an oath and then lyin' thru their teeth? In china, a president of a company screwed up: he hung himself.

Now think in God like terms:

lots of folk going to talk bad about our last pres for generations and he still alive

the chinese man is dead and no one can say anything bad about him because he was responsible to the point of giving up his life (in this fashion) to be held accountable.

the children from throughout his country will see that

and what do our children get?

Responsibility is absolute: don't care what you believe!

Luminous

non-existential luminary
People who are good are good and people who are bad are bad. i have found that theism has nothing to do with it.

Bishadi

People who are good are good and people who are bad are bad. i have found that theism has nothing to do with it.

be nice if that were true as culturally... the combining of 'forgiveness' and 'capitalism' has created the 'beast' of the bible

McBell

Admiral Obvious
We atheists are scum!

Just the other morning I mated a fraggle with a smurf. I call it Smagglefruf and I'm going to pimp it out to the Bugaloos!
Well, as long as you leave the Dozers out of it, it should be perfectly moral.