• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are excorcisms real or is there a logical explanation?

Gudrun

Proud Pagan
I've been excorcised of a demon before, I know what I experienced is nothing less than a demonic attack or excorcism. But what do you personally believe?

nash8

Da man, when I walk thru!
I've been excorcised of a demon before, I know what I experienced is nothing less than a demonic attack or excorcism. But what do you personally believe?

I still carry my "demons" lol. I don't think they knew what they were getting into when they "possessed" me. Instead of them changing me, although that has happened as well, I have changed them.

For most people, I would say that demons are a creation of the "imagination" part of the brain that intterupt their "normal" brain function. But based on my own personal experience I know that sometimes there is more to it than that, and sometimes there is a distinct entity that causes these disruptions in brain activity.

As far as an explenation goes, I personally believe that it would be an organization of sub-atomic particles/electromagnetic energy with some kind of conciousness.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Demons and exorcisms do exist in a way, but it is a mistake to lend them actual substance.

Ultimately, far as I can tell they are nothing more than self-afflicted delusions. Everyone can and should learn to dissolve demons, because that is truly their destiny and their only true purpose. They are just barely existent, and no one should waste time fearing them.

nash8

Demons and exorcisms do exist in a way, but it is a mistake to lend them actual substance.

Ultimately, far as I can tell they are nothing more than self-afflicted delusions. Everyone can and should learn to dissolve demons, because that is truly their destiny and their only true purpose. They are just barely existent, and no one should waste time fearing them.

I would agree, but I would ask you have you ever felt the presence of a "demon" within your being?

Gudrun

Proud Pagan
And I would answer that yes, I most definitely have. And it is the feeling of pure hate and rage that consumes your entire being in a most inhuman way.

nash8

And I would answer that yes, I most definitely have. And it is the feeling of pure hate and rage that consumes your entire being in a most inhuman way.

I was directing it more towards Luis Dantas, but I am glad you responded. My particular experience was not of pure hate and rage, but definitely had it's share of those qualities at times. I definitely did some things when I had less control, that I definitely would not have normally done, but at the same time I have learned a lot from the experience and gained some insight that I definitely view positively.

While possessed, did you have control of your being? Did it sway, like sometimes you had control over it, and sometimes you didn't, or was it pretty constant? Did you recognize the entity as seperate from yourself, like did you think "this isn't me", or did you lose total control of your individual thought processes? How did this affect your everyday life?

Sorry if I'm getting to personal, and feel free not to answer, i just find it an interesting subject to discuss.

vtunie

People have the ability to soothe other people. As for whether it is malevolent incorporeal spirits being driven out, I imagine at least in certain cases it may well be.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep

Which probably came from lack of self-examination and healthy relationships. No one who isn't suffering with chemical or mental disorders wakes up one day and feels like setting the world on fire.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I believe exorcisms exist, yes. :p
However, what is it that is being exorcised?

A demon? According to some. That's presupposing that demons would enter a human; for what reason would they do that?
A spirit? Also according to some. Same question.

Perhaps what is being exercised a form of mental illness, or even an attempt to remove one's "shadow" which they do not want, so it's all a big show for the person to break away with their bad habits they do not associate with and wish to stop.

Brynhild

My understanding is that when demons take possesion of someone they do so for their own evil doings and to torment humans. Not sure if I believe in demons but this is what I had always heard regarding excorcisms and possesion.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Demon possession is a rather controversial subject. There was a time when mental illness was considered as demon possession. Other illnesses, such as epilepsy and seizures, could be associated with demon possession. Even things like autism could be considered demon possession. I am not saying I don't believe in demon possession and exorcisms, just that a real one would probably be rare.

FranklinMichaelV.3

Demon possession is a rather controversial subject. There was a time when mental illness was considered as demon possession. Other illnesses, such as epilepsy and seizures, could be associated with demon possession. Even things like autism could be considered demon possession. I am not saying I don't believe in demon possession and exorcisms, just that a real one would probably be rare.

The more we learn about mental and neurological diseases the more and more rare demon possessions appear.

The one boy for instance who Jesus drove the demons out of appeared to be suffering from seizures.

The man who was mad and crazy can be any number of schizophrenic to bipolar disorders.