• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Humans Naturally Religious?

Are humans naturally religious?

• Total voters

Mercy Not Sacrifice

Sunstone said:
Is there anything in human nature that makes humans naturally religious? If so, what is it?

Absolutely. It's called, genetics. That's right, folks, the need for religion is hardwired into our genes.

If not, how do you account for the ubiquity of human religious expression? Is it mere accident that humans invented religion, or is there some innate, heriditary propensity in humans to invent religions? Reference: http://cafephilos.blogspot.com/2007/03/origin-of-gods.html

See above.

UnTheist

Does that mean I have a deep-inside need to believe in something? How come I never feel like I have to believe in something? Can I still be religious without pertaining to any known religion on earth? If so, what would 'religious' be in that sense?

Mercy Not Sacrifice

`PaWz said:
Does that mean I have a deep-inside need to believe in something? How come I never feel like I have to believe in something? Can I still be religious without pertaining to any known religion on earth? If so, what would 'religious' be in that sense?

Actually, I should have been more specific: According to some research (and dammit, I don't have a source off the top of my head), *some* of us have an innate proclivity to believe in a higher power. That, or some people have more of this tendency than others.

Papersock

Lucid Dreamer
I figured it has to do with the way our minds work and the way we process the world around us. From our experience humans are the intelligence that creates things. So there must have been something like us that made everything. And since we're rather egotistical we think the world must have been made for us.
That's my take on it, anyway.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Sunstone said:
Is there anything in human nature that makes humans naturally religious? If so, what is it? If not, how do you account for the ubiquity of human religious expression? Is it mere accident that humans invented religion, or is there some innate, heriditary propensity in humans to invent religions? Reference: http://cafephilos.blogspot.com/2007/03/origin-of-gods.html

It seems to me that so many people around the world nowadays chain themselves up ــwhether they are aware of this or notــ with ideas which exists only in myth books or in the thought of scholars in this century solely, and ignore the thoughts of the men in history who changed the way human beings preceive life.

I believe that we are here for a specific reason, and religion is nothing but a system which will help and assist us in this life, which will by default direct us to the path we should follow to be happy, satisfied and have a sense of acceptance for being part of this universe. The universe which belong to God, the universe which God designed in perfect way. There is no doubt in my mind that humans are naturally religious in term of belonging to God whether they are religious in the way many people define *religious people* or not.

I think some people have a need for understanding (and to try make sense of) life, the universe and everything.

Maybe a beleif in a certain god or/and a force helps people understand this.

I think even the non-religious do this in some way or another that is not to do with a religion but maybe a philosophy or an ideal that we can attach ourselves to. If we didnt do this we'd go insane. :)

I voted 'No'
If people were naturally religious, then wouldn't all people be religious?
I believe people naturally want explainations for things and when they don't find those explainations they tend to 'make things up'. Why does the sun rise and set, well some dude in a chariot (Apollo) pulls the sun across the sky everyday. So on and so forth. As things in life are explained we tend to have less and less gods. But I'm rambling, I'll stop, good night.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
SenileAnimal said:
I voted 'No'

Their parents sway them from being naturally religious sometimes, and the society might do so sometimes as well.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
SenileAnimal said:

Of course not. People are naturally empathic - some lack that facility. Colour vision is natural to humans, yet some people don't see colours, etc. To argue that a trait is innate is not to argue that it is a trait shared by all.

James

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
We are indeed naturally occurring spiritual beings, Phil. :drool:
Naturally religious, not a fricken chance... as that is learned behavior. :sorry1:

One is internally motivated and somewhat instinctual, the other is externally motivated and alas you will never convince me I am wrong on this one. I am extreme enough to consider religion a perversion of spirituality and a succumbing to primitive dogma sets and stifling structures. :eek:

Muslims are warned to have no intercessors between the individual and Allah. I take this to the extreme and consider religion (of any kind), in itself, as a barrier between the individual and god wherein no barrier need exist in the first place. Religion gives the individual preconceived notions about what god, reality and they themselves are where all they need do is sit still, relax their thoughts and directly feel their inherent Oneness with All That Is. Is it really necessary to over complicate things? :shrug:

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
YmirGF said:
We are indeed naturally occurring spiritual beings, Phil. :drool:
Naturally religious, not a fricken chance... as that is learned behavior. :sorry1:

One is internally motivated and somewhat instinctual, the other is externally motivated and alas you will never convince me I am wrong on this one. I am extreme enough to consider religion a perversion of spirituality and a succumbing to primitive dogma sets and stifling structures. :eek:

Muslims are warned to have no intercessors between the individual and Allah. I take this to the extreme and consider religion (of any kind), in itself, as a barrier between the individual and god wherein no barrier need exist in the first place. Religion gives the individual preconceived notions about what god, reality and they themselves are where all they need do is sit still, relax their thoughts and directly feel their inherent Oneness with All That Is. Is it really necessary to over complicate things? :shrug:

In my philosophy class the definition of "religion" was far more vague then that of "spiritual". Making spirituality less of a chance of being "natural" then spirituality. Perhaps your definition of religion is more narrow then what is more widely accepted in academia?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Victor said:
In my philosophy class the definition of "religion" was far more vague then that of "spiritual". Making spirituality less of a chance of being "natural" then spirituality. Perhaps your definition of religion is more narrow then what is more widely accepted in academia?
I have never been overly concerned what the so-called scholars have had to say Victor. :) One could simply retort that their lack of true spiritual experience prejudices their viewpoints and therefore what else could they say, lol. :shrug:

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
YmirGF said:
I have never been overly concerned what the so-called scholars have had to say Victor. One could simply retort that their lack of true spiritual experience prejudices their viewpoints and therefore what else could they say, lol.

True dat! But I actually happen to agree with them on this one. :D
One can be religious, but not spiritual. One cannot be spiritual, and not be religious. That's what it was when I last attended college. I think the neuro-associations with the word "religion" (almost like a bad word to some) may just flip it around...:shrug:

JamesThePersian said:
Of course not. People are naturally empathic - some lack that facility. Colour vision is natural to humans, yet some people don't see colours, etc. To argue that a trait is innate is not to argue that it is a trait shared by all.

James
Good point, didn't think of it that way.
Does that mean I'm defective?

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
SenileAnimal said:
Good point, didn't think of it that way.
Does that mean I'm defective?

Not necessarily. Blue eyes are innate but people with brown eyes aren't defective, are they?

Now, from a religious point of view I would have to say yes - but that's because we're all defective. Not having a natural need for God is only one of many ways it can manifest. But you're free to take or leave that particular opinion.

James