• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are "New Atheists" Too Obsessed With Religion?

Are you sympathetic to "New Atheism" ?

• Yes

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • No

Votes: 21 44.7%
  • Other (Explain)

Votes: 11 23.4%

• Total voters

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Well I recommend that you look into it. Studies on altruism in the animal kingdom from ants and bees to chimps are all freely available. In a social group our welfare is no longer separable from that of the other members. Altruistic behaviour strengthens social bonds as well as increasing survivability for the group.
Okay. I was wondering about the anthropology, though.

If you type into your search engine 'the evolution of altruism', or any other such key terms you will find links to thousands of articles.
Again, not anthropology.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Okay. I was wondering about the anthropology, though.

Again, not anthropology.
Are you seriously going to pretend you do not know how to google something? Please don't waste my time.

Look around - there is probably a nearby adult who can show you how to look stuff up on google.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
I believe it also applies to their minions who agree that belief in God is grounds for mockery, and I will reiterate that it takes a lot more than the absence of belief to mock others such as in the following:
LOL Richard Dawkin's minions? ROLFMAO Thanks mate - that's just hilarious. I think you have confused him for the guy from the movie Despicable me.
And I believe all of this "evidence" you can produce is not based upon rational inferences, but rather assumptions, and you will likely perform every rhetorical trick available to you to hide that you have no basis of rational inference.
Not at all Prophet, I have seen many people show you the evidence and explain it to you ad nauseum - you just pretend you didn't see it.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
I have seen you reject rational inferences across the disciplines of science here and history elsewhere where they were not to your benefit. Here, you have seen a person repeatedly use speaking the word "genetics" as an "I win" button that he could mash to his heart's delight without demonstrating any rational inferences. This is an act I'm sure you characterize as "showing me the evidence and explaining it to me ad nauseum" while anyone fair without a horse in the race would characterize as bull****.
LOL How did you see that? You joined yesterday? Got an example?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Are you seriously going to pretend you do not know how to google something? Please don't waste my time.

Look around - there is probably a nearby adult who can show you how to look stuff up on google.
Perhaps you could suggest some relevant search criteria?

Edit: Nevermind, I found some.

Last edited:

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
Are the religious too obsessed with atheists? There are vastly more religious people than atheists.

Also this is like asking--are a-santaclausists obsessed with religion or are a-celesteapotists obsessed?

Of course they are. We're the "enemy". It's one thing to believe in a different imaginary friend in the sky, that's bad enough, but for people to reject all imaginary friends and point and laugh, that's horrible!

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Perhaps you could suggest some relevant search criteria?

Edit: Nevermind, I found some.
Well I would have thought that since you were interested in the anthropological research into altruism -searching 'anthropology altruism' will work.