• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Nonreligious People Self-Centered?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I've found the non religious to be far more willing to admit to not having all of the answers, claiming to not know everything. The religious think they know all the answers because the answers are all in the context of their religion of choice

Well, some non-relgious people can do in effect skepticism but not all.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I've found the non religious to be far more willing to admit to not having all of the answers, claiming to not know everything. The religious think they know all the answers because their religion will often provide some very simple answers to some very complex questions

That is anecdotal evidence at best, do you have any other evidence for that?

vijeno

Do nonreligious people seem self-righteous and ungrateful? Do they seem like they have all the answers and don’t need any help from anybody? I say no.

I don't believe that your religious views inform your day-to-day behaviour very much. IME, there are lots of ********, and also lots of very decent people, in all walks of life (apart from those in the dictator business I guess).

Your worldview influences your behaviour, and your practice inflences your worldview - but all of that is orthogonal to the religious bit.

E.g., if you tend to like people, you will say please and thanks and engage more, which in turn will make you feel better... regardless of what you think about god/s or the afterlife. And if you practice saying please and thanks, it will make you feel more thankful and help you like people more.

You can practice positive attitudes, and it will make you a better - and more successful - person. And some religious practices might be an attempt or a way to achieve just that. But you can certainly do it without religion - and conversely, religion for the most part doesn't keep you from doing so.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Not as much as religious people. They seem like they have all the answers and don't need input from anybody.
Plus they to a larger extent all run around wearing all sorts of costumes and funny hats, spouting jewelry and carrying around literature! *grin*