• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are religions just a protracted daydream?

Tomef

Casting our minds out to try and picture the unknown or invisible seems to be a natural human activity. We all wonder about what other people think and feel about us, under pressure or expectation we can project catastrophe or pleasure into possible futures. This ability presumably started with early humans wondering about things they couldn’t see - the future, how a planned hunt might play out, what some other group of people in the next valley might be doing.

However it developed, feats of imagination are intrinsically human, whether highly developed in creative arts or second by second wondering about all the minutiae of life. Earlier generations of humans saw life and spirit wherever they saw movement, in water and the wind etc. After settling in cities, they dedicated these new living spaces to a god, but recognised other gods. As empires formed, the need for a god big enough to cover all that territory eventually evoked into the notion of a universal, omnipresent deity. We imagined gods and god into existence, partly as a way of explaining the world perhaps but also because we just seem to need to do that, to project our imaginations outward as a way of feeling our way towards the future, and understanding the present.

Fewer people hold on to traditional religious beliefs, but most still seem to want or have some kind of ‘spiritual’ belief, as with this piece of research: https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-m...email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_aboutus
In other quarters, what has been within certain circles a very reductionist reaction against spiritual belief seems to be coming round to a broader acknowledgment of the need people have for something of this sort. Whether it is thought of as spiritual or in some other way doesn’t seem important; there is, though, a need intrinsic to being human to imagine and to attempt to predict and understand the future and the present, whether it’s about what another person feels about us, or our personal ambitions, or anything else. It seems important to recognise that activity as something common to us all that isn’t so easily quantified, and maybe doesn’t need to be. The more extreme people I’ve come across, who seem to believe that everything is reducible to some bland set of material interactions, seem to me to be lacking some essentially human quality. At the other extreme are people who insist that life is meaningless without a belief in their particular religion.

If we can dream up gods, though, and even live for millennia with the belief that these imaginary creations give meaning to human life, why should imagination stop there? If my imaged world, the things I think of as having value, daydream and think and feel about, has meaning for me, in what way is that any different to belief in a religion or god? We do seem to be living in a time when the need for such thoughts and feelings to be shackled to some particular religious text or group. Maybe being an Ubermensch just means recognising that your imaged life is just as loaded as any religion with the power to give life meaning and purpose.

[nb. I out this under Abrahamic religions are these are the religions I have some familiarity with]

firedragon

Veteran Member
It's a valid and well written post. But it's still a dream. It's an imagination. I don't mean religions, I mean the post itself.

Religions have a more valid argument than this kind of dreamy sermon. I remember going to a church where a priest in a blue suit and red tie was preaching without any reference to scripture or reality. Just giving a sermon. I tended not to like sermons since then and that was a long long time ago. This OP looks the exact same to me, only in another direction.

I believe that one has to analyze, use data, use other people's argumentation logically.

Peace.