• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are these the authorized versions of Sri Guru Granth Sahib?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Are these the authorized versions of Sri Guru Granth Sahib?

I intend to read the scripture that Guru Baba Nanak Ji had left for our guidance. I find the following on internet:

One Volume (Pages 1 to 1430) 3rd Edition English Translation of Siri Guru Granth Sahib Singh Sahib Sant Singh Khalsa, MD Hand Made Books 899 N. Wilmot, Suite C-2 Tucson, Arizona 85711, USA

https://manpreet159.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/english20translation20of20siri20guru20granth20sahib1.pdf
Sri Guru Granth Sahib
Pages 1-2 of 1430, srigranth.org
Guru Granth Sahib

http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.gurbani?Action=Page&Param=1

I understand Shri Guru Granth Sahib contains 974 verses by Guru Nanak out of the total 5877 verses (hymns or Shabads/Sloks) .
If it is an authorized version, can one indicate its page numbers for the 974 verses by Baba Guru Nank Ji in Guru Granth, please?
I want to read these first. Right, please?

Regards

ManSinha

You can go to SikhiToTheMax or Search Gurbani : Gurbani Research Website and look for stanzas that start with the words "** Mehla 1" or "Mehla Pehla" - these were authored by Guru Nanak himself - he was the first as you know and his compositions carry that at the start just at the compositons by Guru Tegh Bahadur - the 9th Master - carry - "*** Mehla 9" or "Mehla Nava-n"

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
You can go to SikhiToTheMax or Search Gurbani : Gurbani Research Website and look for stanzas that start with the words "** Mehla 1" or "Mehla Pehla" - these were authored by Guru Nanak himself - he was the first as you know and his compositions carry that at the start just at the compositons by Guru Tegh Bahadur - the 9th Master - carry - "*** Mehla 9" or "Mehla Nava-n"
For instance,

I go to SikhiToTheMax and put the words Mehla Pehla in the search engine and click, I get the following result:

Sorry, we couldn't find results for your query "Mehla Pehla".

I want original text of Guru Nanak whatever language he wrote in or dictate in, with transliteration in English and with the translation in English for understanding. Please guide me, how should have I proceeded? Right, please?

Regards

Last edited:

ManSinha

upload_2020-5-14_5-32-17.jpeg

Start here

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Thanks, it works now and I get the following result:

Shabad - SikhiToTheMax

It consists of six lines and the number of the verse/shabad is 14, the first line starts from the word "The path" and the last line ends with the word "mind". Since I was searching for the verses in Granth by Nanak, to collect them in a word document, I tried to copy past them, but this facility is not available on the site, so it cannot be done. I understand it is for the security reasons of the text. It is OK.
I also observe an arrow on the left to get to verse # 13 and an arrow on the right to get to the verse #15. Right, please?
Are the previous verses 10-13 by Nanak also, and relate to Ang 3, please?

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
All the way thru 38
Is it the Japjee Sahib/Japujee Sahib, I get it from the list on the site under the name "Sundar Gutka"?
Now I have found the copy/paste function on the site, and it is helpful.
So, I get 38 verses from the total of 974 verses by Guru Nanak in Granth Sahib and these form its first eight pages. How to get the rest of the verses by Guru Nanak, please?

I am really thankful to one.

Regards

ManSinha

Is it the Japjee Sahib/Japujee Sahib, I get it from the list on the site under the name "Sundar Gutka"?
Now I have found the copy/paste function on the site, and it is helpful.
So, I get 38 verses from the total of 974 verses by Guru Nanak in Granth Sahib and these form its first eight pages. How to get the rest of the verses by Guru Nanak, please?

I am really thankful to one.

Regards

Search Gurbani : Gurbani Research Website

You are most welcome to go thru the compositions - if you come back and try to argue / debate about them - I have seen you do that with other texts - I at least shall not be answering you

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
All the way thru 38
When one puts ""Mehla Pehla"" in the search engine of the
Sikhi to the Max.org, the results starts from the verse 14, instead of from the verse 1. Do the site consider the the starting 13 verses are not part of Japjee or by Nanak Ji, please? Right, please?

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I accessed "Structure of Guru Granth Sahib" @ Structure of Guru Granth Sahib - SikhiWiki, free Sikh encyclopedia.
but I could not reckon all verses by Baba Guru Nanak in the Granth Sahib.
Is here somebody who knows about them exactly, please?
I was able to find "Sri Guru Granth Sahib English Translation Table of Contents" @Sikhs.Org.
Though the hyperlinks given in it did no work but somehow I copy/pasted the contents by Nanak in the Granth Sahib. The same site has Granth with English translation, I used it and in 3/4 days was able to finish the Job.
I copy pasted it in a Word document and named it "Nanak of Granth".The document consists of about 227 pages, and with words count of about 176890.

Now I have started its first reading and I am at page-10 of the Granth having Nanak's contents. I wanted to know Nanak and his teachings from his own words. Right, please?

Thanks to friend @ManSinha

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I was able to find "Sri Guru Granth Sahib English Translation Table of Contents" @Sikhs.Org.
Though the hyperlinks given in it did no work but somehow I copy/pasted the contents by Nanak in the Granth Sahib. The same site has Granth with English translation, I used it and in 3/4 days was able to finish the Job.
I copy pasted it in a Word document and named it "Nanak of Granth".The document consists of about 227 pages, and with words count of about 176890.

Now I have started its first reading and I am at page-10 of the Granth having Nanak's contents. I wanted to know Nanak and his teachings from his own words. Right, please?

Thanks to friend @ManSinha
Now I am at page "57 of 1430" of the Granth reading only Nanake's contents from it and understanding Nanak and his teachings from his own words. Is it right, please?

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Now I am at "Page 142 of 1430" of the Granth reading only Nanak's contents from it and understanding Nanak and his teachings from his own words. Is it right, please?

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Now I am at "Page 351 of 1430" of the Granth reading only Nanak's contents from it and understanding Nanak and his teachings from his own words. Is it right, please?

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Now I am at "Page 413 of 1430" of the Granth reading only Nanak's contents from it and understanding Nanak and his teachings from his own words. Is it right, please?

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Now I am at "Page 503 of 1430" of the Granth reading only Nanak's contents from it and understanding Nanak and his teachings from his own words. Is it right, please?

I find following verses at the page 504 of Granth by Nanak:

“I constantly call upon the One Lord; since the very beginning, and throughout the ages, He has been my help and support. ||6|| (504-15)
O Dear One, please preserve the Honor of Your Name; I am hand and glove with You. (504-16)
Bless me with Your Mercy, and reveal to me the Blessed Vision of Your Darshan, O Guru. Through the Word of the Shabad, I have burnt away my ego.” ||7|| (504-16)

PAGE 504 - Gurmukhi to English Translation and Phonetic Transliteration of Siri Guru Granth Sahib.

Did Nanak receive any direct Converse of G-d, please?
If yes, please quote from Nanak, please?

Regards

7 And the Lord said to Moses: "Go, descend, for your people that you have brought up from the land of Egypt have acted corruptly.
Shemot - Exodus - Chapter 32 (Parshah Ki Tisa)

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Now I am at "Page 662 of 1430" of the Granth reading only Nanak's contents from it and understanding Nanak and his teachings from his own words. Is it right, please?

“I constantly call upon the One Lord; since the very beginning, and throughout the ages, He has been my help and support. ||6|| (504-15)
O Dear One, please preserve the Honor of Your Name; I am hand and glove with You. (504-16)
Bless me with Your Mercy, and reveal to me the Blessed Vision of Your Darshan, O Guru. Through the Word of the Shabad, I have burnt away my ego.” ||7|| (504-16)

PAGE 504 - Gurmukhi to English Translation and Phonetic Transliteration of Siri Guru Granth Sahib.

Regards

7 And the Lord said to Moses: "Go, descend, for your people that you have brought up from the land of Egypt have acted corruptly.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Now I am at "Page 765 of 1430" of the Granth reading only Nanak's contents from it and understanding Nanak and his teachings from his own words. Is it right, please?

Regards