• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you a patriot?

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
Are you a patriot?

I love my country

But I don't like it

I think that it's massively messed-up and heading in the wrong direction

There is much about it that I would change

I'd say I'm patriotic but wouldn't go as far as to call myself a patriot

And I don't overly identify with my country

I am other things as well

But I would never betray it

Would I be willing to die or kill for it? In an armed conflict?

In all honesty, that would depend on what side it's on and the nature of the conflict in question

I don't believe in "my country right or wrong" I think that's stupid

It also depends on what is meant by patriotic - and whether by the term a civic nationalism is implied or an ethnic nationalism

I like civic nationalism (values, institutions, way of life, culture) but have no time for ethnic nationalism (ethnicity)

And this informs the extent to which I am patriotic

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Are you a patriot?

I love my country

But I don't like it

In all honesty, that would depend on what side it's on and the nature of the conflict in question

It also depends on what is meant by patriotic - and whether by the term a civic nationalism is implied or an ethnic nationalism

I like civic nationalism (values, institutions, way of life, culture) but have no time for ethnic nationalism (ethnicity)

I was raised and influenced with the basic symbols and ideals of American patriotism, although sometimes that can be tempered with a wary eye on government. A person can be patriotic and loyal to their country, but not necessarily the government, which is changeable.

Sometimes, concepts of patriotism can be misused for political ends. Oftentimes, any kind of military-related proposal or plan of action might be tied in with certain patriotic ideals. Or, if one doesn't follow a certain course of action or code of behavior which is expected of a "true patriot," then that can lead to hostile reactions, ostracism, shunning, or sometimes even worse.

It can sometimes be a way for warmongers to exert peer pressure upon those who don't seem all that enthusiastic about going to war.

Just like in Back To The Future where Marty McFly could be easily goaded into doing anything just by asking if he's chicken.

471bd9fa-2da9-4bbc-87a4-1d1481322e56_text.gif

exchemist

Veteran Member
Are you a patriot?

I love my country

But I don't like it

I find it hard to disagree with any of this. I too would not want to call myself a "patriot", largely because for me that word has connotations of blind loyalty, jingoism and even xenophobia. But I think there are many things in the culture and history of my country that I am proud of and that I would defend.

I have read that we all have a series of different loyalties, to country, yes, but also to family, social groups, societies, employers, and also to supranational entities too, such as religions, races, "western democracy", the European Union and so on. So I find the term patriot displeasing, as it seems to want to coerce me into deprioritising all these other loyalties, in a way that I'm not prepared to sign up to.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Are you a patriot?

I love my country

But I don't like it

Just be happy you weren't one of the many millions born in Russia who have reservations about putin and the war. If I happened to be born in Russia and had similar attitudes as I do in my actual life experience, I would be ashamed. I felt shame during the latter parts of the Bush administration when it was exposed that the intel against Iraq was not valid. Most of the gripes were not the many hundreds of thousands of dead Iraqis, but the 5000+ American deaths.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I appreciate my country's potential, work to care for my neighbors, and seek to stand as a responsible citizen.

If "patriotism" requires more, then no, I am not a patriot.

F1fan

Veteran Member
I find it hard to disagree with any of this. I too would not want to call myself a "patriot", largely because for me that word has connotations of blind loyalty, jingoism and even xenophobia. But I think there are many things in the culture and history of my country that I am proud of and that I would defend.

I have read that we all have a series of different loyalties, to country, yes, but also to family, social groups, societies, employers, and also to supranational entities too, such as religions, races, "western democracy", the European Union and so on. So I find the term patriot displeasing, as it seems to want to coerce me into deprioritising all these other loyalties, in a way that I'm not prepared to sign up to.
Good point. My impression is that the word has a limited application, that it is limited to feelings about one's nation when attacked by some outside force. Look at the American fervor after 9-11, and even the support for Ukraine after Russia invaded. I wouldn't call the support for Ukraine as patriotism, but I think there's a sort of proxy patriotism going on. There seems a real zest for being on the righteous or noble side of a conflict. This can even apply to natural disasters and people of all stripes, including prisoners in some examples, come together to help others.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Good point. My impression is that the word has a limited application, that it is limited to feelings about one's nation when attacked by some outside force. Look at the American fervor after 9-11, and even the support for Ukraine after Russia invaded. I wouldn't call the support for Ukraine as patriotism, but I think there's a sort of proxy patriotism going on. There seems a real zest for being on the righteous or noble side of a conflict. This can even apply to natural disasters and people of all stripes, including prisoners in some examples, come together to help others.
That's probably right, even if the outside threat is often just a visiting national cricket team.:D

I'm also a bit queasy about the term in view of Dr. Johnson's aphorism about patriotism being "the last refuge of a scoundrel". By this he did not mean that only scoundrels are patriotic but that, when a scoundrel (especially in politics) has nothing else to fall back on, he often wraps himself in the flag and invokes patriotism, as it is an easy way to get people to support him. So when I hear an appeal to patriotism, I check my pockets and look around a bit.;)

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
Are you a patriot?

I love my country

But I don't like it

No. I am not patriotic.
I do not take credit or responsibility for what any nation does/does not do.

Humbly
Hermit

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Are you a patriot?

I love my country

But I don't like it

I always wondered why people are proud of things they had nothing to do with, but for some reason we have pride in our homelands, current cities, even sports teams. It must be something about being human that is inherent in us.
I love the US but, like you, I don't like it sometimes. It is not perfect and in some areas does not seem to be getting better, and sometimes it's getting worse, but overall it's beautiful and varied and amazing. It's been wrong and is currently wrong, and the "it's the best country" attitude leaves no room for improvement. It's always good to try to get better.

Last edited:

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Are you a patriot?

If that means willing to do more for one country than another, then no. Country means little to me any more, just the world and my local community. Geographical divisions in between like counties, states, and nations aren't something I identify with.

Patriotism is secular religion, complete with its own myths (cherry tree and log splitting presidents instead of babes in the reeds and virgin births), symbols (flags, eagles and Uncle Sam instead of Jesus, Mary and the cross), and precious documents (original parchments for each). Patriotism or faith. Traitor or infidel. The Ten Commandments and The Bill of Rights. Santa Claus and Paul Bunyan. Manifest destiny and American exceptionalism vs. the Chosen People. The Pilgrims and the Exodus. "I pledge allegiance" and "Our Father who art in heaven." He died for your rights or he died for your salvation. Serving God and country are each tribalism, and in the forms I'm used to, each exists to convince you to underwrite and sacrifice for somebody else's agenda. I've opted out of both.

RestlessSoul

I'm not particularly patriotic, and have no time for nationalism of any stripe. I am worried about the direction of my country, and in truth I've always felt out of step with England and the English anyway.

I am English though, there's no getting away from that; England made me, but I like to think that's the England of dissenting voices, from The Levellers to the Trade Union Congress, Milton and Blake, Keats and Shelley, Tony Benn and Jeremy Corbyn, John Lennon and Johnny Rotten.

But I do love London. I have a deep and abiding affection for this glittering city on the grey old Thames, so there's that I suppose.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I am patriotic to a point but moreso than that, I am a follower of Christ. Often the two loves take different paths, and I will always default to the whole "Love God and love your neighbor as yourself," before any other type of patriotism or whatever you want to call it. Also, I am too old to go dying on various hills. Especially in a fight I can't win, so there's that.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I'm probably like so many others who have commented from the UK, in that you'll not see a flag draped anywhere on my property (unless such becomes compulsory), and I'm not a great enthusiast for patriotism or nationalism much either, given these so often lead to fixed mindsets. As others have mentioned, I can't claim anything from what others have done in the past (whether as to honours or infamy - and fortunate as to the latter), but I am rather glad I was born in England given the freedoms available. But of course this was not always the case and no doubt many feel the same way about their own country. I could probably live quite happily in many other countries though (in Europe and elsewhere - including all those within the UK) given that I have travelled to many of them and mostly like what I see.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Nope. I was raised to be and was once upon a time but I came to realize the folly of that, including the inherent dividing everyone between us and them that patriotism tends to bring.
It's just us, the human race, trying to make sense of our existence on this water and moss covered speck of iron hurtling through the Cosmos. Nations and boarders are of a lower range of thinking.