• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you a patriot?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I am not much of a patriot, and neither are most other anthropologists that I know. If one studies societies all over the world, each have their positives and negatives, imo.

Yerda

Veteran Member
A wee bit. Being Scottish is a part of my identity, but not a major part. I kinda just feel Scottish. I sometimes feel shame or pride in connection to this, but not often.

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
Somewhat I suppose. I vote regularly, abide in the law, am politically active, etc. I don't think I am a cookie cutter patriot and definitely not a nationalist. I have only one little flag in my office that I found on the road. I guess I adopted the booger. I don't think my country is "great" or greatest or greater than any other. There's times where I am embarrassed. But, I can't deny being from here or being wrapped up in it all. So I am not fervent or fanatic, but I'm not rushing out to stab it in the back either. I don't know if I qualify as an actual patriot.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm an OG patriot.

That is to say, my loyalty is to the Spirits of the Land - to a physical place and other-than-human persons living there - rather than anthropocentric governance structures.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I am patriotic to a point but moreso than that, I am a follower of Christ. Often the two loves take different paths, and I will always default to the whole "Love God and love your neighbor as yourself," before any other type of patriotism or whatever you want to call it. Also, I am too old to go dying on various hills. Especially in a fight I can't win, so there's that.
Very nice response. :greenheart:

Altfish

Veteran Member
Are you a patriot?

I love my country

But I don't like it

I think that it's massively messed-up and heading in the wrong direction

There is much about it that I would change

I'd say I'm patriotic but wouldn't go as far as to call myself a patriot

And I don't overly identify with my country

I am other things as well

But I would never betray it

Would I be willing to die or kill for it? In an armed conflict?

In all honesty, that would depend on what side it's on and the nature of the conflict in question

I don't believe in "my country right or wrong" I think that's stupid

It also depends on what is meant by patriotic - and whether by the term a civic nationalism is implied or an ethnic nationalism

I like civic nationalism (values, institutions, way of life, culture) but have no time for ethnic nationalism (ethnicity)

And this informs the extent to which I am patriotic
I find any of that hard to disagree with.
Patriotism is being used as a political weapon, it is not a good

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Are you a patriot?

I love my country

But I don't like it

I think that it's massively messed-up and heading in the wrong direction

There is much about it that I would change

I'd say I'm patriotic but wouldn't go as far as to call myself a patriot

And I don't overly identify with my country

I am other things as well

But I would never betray it

Would I be willing to die or kill for it? In an armed conflict?

In all honesty, that would depend on what side it's on and the nature of the conflict in question

I don't believe in "my country right or wrong" I think that's stupid

It also depends on what is meant by patriotic - and whether by the term a civic nationalism is implied or an ethnic nationalism

I like civic nationalism (values, institutions, way of life, culture) but have no time for ethnic nationalism (ethnicity)

And this informs the extent to which I am patriotic
I love what a country can stand for. Definitely a patriot in that context.

Sometimes however a country can turn against its own ideology, creed, and values which of course, I'd have little love for.