• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you really a monotheist if you believe in angels?

fatima_bintu_islam

Angels are just one of the Heavenly Host, all are subject to God.
If we believed in Gin as the Muslims do they to would be subject to God.

Yes, Jinns are subject to God too but have free will like humans. Contrary to angels who do what they are ordered only.

Quran ( 51: 56)
56. And I (Allah) created not the jinns and humans except they should worship Me (Alone).

And Allah knows best

horntooth

Sextian
Contrary to angels who do what they are ordered only.
creating being that have no free will, but only obey... that "allah" is one sick dude..

fatima_bintu_islam

I dont even wanna quote what you said

140. And it has already been revealed to you in the Book (this Quran) that when you hear the Verses of Allah being denied and mocked at, then sit not with them, until they engage in a talk other than that; (but if you stayed with them) certainly in that case you would be like them. Surely, Allah will collect the hypocrites and disbelievers all together in Hell

Levite

Higher and Higher
Do Jews believe that Satan was an angel?

Yes. Traditional Judaism teaches that "satan" is a title of office, given to different angels at different times. It means something akin to "accuser" or "prosecutor," and merely designates a particular angel given the task of testing someone's faith, or questioning them before the Heavenly Court. There is nothing of evil associated with the title, nor anything to do with any kind of Hell concept, but rather it indicates an angel faithfully executing the task of testing that God has set for him.

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
I concur with everything my fellow Jews have said in this thread. Angels have no free will, and do the will of G-d without question, and there has never been a 'rebellion' among the angels. HaSatan is simply an angel with a task. Only man has free will, which is why we exist, if the angels could have fulfilled G-d's plan there would be no need for us. We are the union of spirit and matter.

Hello! If I understand the term "monotheism" correctly it means believing in the ONLY true God. Now, angels do exist. They are mentioned hundred times in Bible. But their existense doesn't deny the superity and almightiness of the only true God, does it?

IsmailaGodHasHeard

I concur with everything my fellow Jews have said in this thread. Angels have no free will, and do the will of G-d without question, and there has never been a 'rebellion' among the angels. HaSatan is simply an angel with a task. Only man has free will, which is why we exist, if the angels could have fulfilled G-d's plan there would be no need for us. We are the union of spirit and matter.

I am sorry, but I disagree. All angels have freedom of choice or Satan and his demons would not have been able to rebel.

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
No, at least as far as judiasm is concerned. In judiasm, angels are seen as beings that are "supernatural", but they have no free will. They can do nothing but carry out the express will of God. So angels are not God-like at all.
^ This.

I am sorry, but I disagree. All angels have freedom of choice or Satan and his demons would not have been able to rebel.
There is no rebellion in Jewish scriptures, and any passages that seem to support this concept in christian versions of our scriptures are misinterpretations.

Last edited:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member

I agree. I don't understand those who say that angels have no free will and yet Lucifer was able to rebel. Doesn't make sense...

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
The accepted Jewish traditions of angelology have all been fairly clear: angels were created by God. They have no free will of their own.

What about in Genesis, where it says that Angels came down to mate with women? God didn't seem to happy about that, but why then would he command them to do something for him, that he dislikes?

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
Two faiths with things that have same labels but vastly different meanings.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
The Abrahamic religions define themselves by their monotheism, it is a corner stone of their doctrine, yet they concurrently believe in angels and many other supernatural entities.

A god is super natural and not human, an angel is supernatural and not human, are they not both "godlike" with similar properties. It seems the only difference is the hierarchical ladder of power with restrictions on lower limits, so the term God was modified from the family of godlike species to indicate only the top dog of the species. Is this a fair interpretation of the term "God".

God is really a title that is even applied to people in the hebrew scriptures...so the word God does not define divinity or supernatural beings alone.

The abrahamic religions are monotheists in their worship of one God. It is ok to believe that other divine beings exist because the bible tells us about them. It speaks of Satan and the rebellious angels...it tells us about Micheal the Arch Angle, the cherubs, the serephs and Gabriel (the only other angel who is named in the scriptures)

so being monotheistic doesnt mean not believing in other divine or supernatural beings....it means not worshiping those divine beings.

Levite

Higher and Higher
What about in Genesis, where it says that Angels came down to mate with women? God didn't seem to happy about that, but why then would he command them to do something for him, that he dislikes?

We are taught that the terms b'nai elohim and nefilim as used in Genesis does not mean angels or fallen angels. Rather, it means heroes of legendary stature, and descendants of Adam who turned wicked.

In no cases are the terms in the text indicated to be equivalent with the usual terms for "angel."